LukeOzDigger    106
6 hours ago, Digger Jones said:

On some of the other forums, some people are saying that this will be a kids toy. I'm not seeing it that way, I think this is going to be a pretty decent machine. I usually wait a while before I buy new tech but not this one. I have 1 paid on pre order and should have it in my hands just about the time the snow has melted! I wanna be first in line for this one!

Yep I'm the same, got a feeling this one is just what iv wanted for many years... don't know why just do!

• Like 3

TX Todd    2

People like to flame new machines because it's not their brand or their model. Minelab doesn't build toys. I am not worried about that. It is said they are aiming at the novice. That doesn't mean the X spert can find a use for it. 

What I am interested in is it new tech or does it do something different or better than whats already avaliable.

I am not going to run out and get one until I hear and see one. 

I am also interested in Fishers possible new machine.

• Like 2

Cabin Fever    182
33 minutes ago, TX Todd said:

People like to flame new machines because it's not their brand or their model. Minelab doesn't build toys. I am not worried about that. It is said they are aiming at the novice. That doesn't mean the X spert can find a use for it. 

What I am interested in is it new tech or does it do something different or better than whats already avaliable.

I am not going to run out and get one until I hear and see one. 

I am also interested in Fishers possible new machine.

Minelab Go-Find is pretty close to a toy but I don't think the Monster will be.   Like you I'm not ordering one until I at least read some reviews and see some real video of it in action.  Hopefully that time is soon!

Bryan

• Like 1

LukeOzDigger    106

Geez lucky nothing new happened in the last week...

iv got extreamly poor phone signal where I am now living' iv actually goto go for a drive up the rd to even check this thread'

Gold Monster a week closer tho!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Steve Herschbach
      My last outing everything seemed to be fighting me - weather, equipment, and deep grass. Only managed a few dinks, 14.7 grains or 0.96 gram.
      All found with the Gold Monster 1000 and 10" coil except the smallest, flattest one. I decided to give the 5" coil another go. I rarely use it and with the reports on coil sensitivity issues I wanted to revisit it again to see if I am imagining things.
      Scrubbing the ground the coil was quiet at manual sensitivity 5 and the rocks started bleeding through at 6. This was not touch sensitivity - just that having the coil on the rocks would start giving a little mineral response from them at 6. My 5" coil does not exhibit any signs of actual knock sensitivity until I run it up to manual sensitivity 9 or 10. Even then it is no worse than I experience with my Gold Racer, for instance, when cranked all the way up. I have no way to know but I suspect at least some of what is being reported as touch sensitivity is the detector popping on mineralized rocks, which can happen at fairly low sensitivity levels with the 5" coil. If a coil is fine in low mineral ground and then exhibits "touch sensitivity" in more mineralized ground this is probably the case, as true knock sensitivity should exhibit no matter what the ground mineralization is. Genuine touch sensitivity is triggered even by grass or sticks which are not detectable.
      Anyway, the little flat nugget, third from right, was detected with 5" coil at sensitivity setting of 5. One nice thing is that the little coil is easier to run in deep grass than the 10" coil and that's where this little guy was found.

I am NOT saying that nobody is having issues with the Gold Monster touch sensitivity. My unit is like a just prior to actual production model however and I am just not seeing it. That being the case my final comment on the issue is if it is happening to you, it sure is not happening to everybody and so there should be a fix simply by replacing the coils or detector or both. However, if it is a case of running hot and eliciting responses from the ground or rocks by doing so, it will never get sorted out.
      I do sympathize with those having problems and hope it gets fixed via your dealer or Minelab or both.
      One last note. I was trying both my Gold Bug 2 with 6" coil and Gold Monster with 5" coil on some quartz specimens I have from Alaska last night. They were originally found with a Gold Bug 2 and 6" coil. My method at the time was to visually find quartz specimens and then manually rotate them over the coil. This is because some of the gold in them is so tiny that the thickness of the rock blocks the signal  and so the rocks often need to be rotated just right to get a faint little gold hit. This is complicated by the need to keep my hand away from the coil since these hot detectors will pick up a person's hand because we are faintly conductive (blood saline and sweat salts). Anyway, the GB2 with 6" coil and GM1000 with 5" coil are really a match for detecting tiny gold in samples like this. The main difference is the Gold Bug 2 signal tends to fade away in a more linear fashion, whereas the Gold Monster 1000 tends to remain louder and then drop off very quickly.
      Click or double-click for larger photo size...

• By Cabin Fever
      Here is another video. Some of the same stuff you might have seen already but some different footage in there too..  Shortly after the 4 minute mark if you listen close you will hear a guy ask how it does for prospecting.   Paraphrasing here, but the rep said its better then the 705 but probably not as good as the Monster.    I think that is a much more complicated question to answer but interesting anyway...  Another thing I couldn't quite make out but I think the rep said there was NO Multi Freq in Prospect mode.  (Don't quote me on that one) I did hear in another video that each mode has a specially tuned Multi Frequency.... There is a good closeup of the new pinpointer at the end too.. I wish they would have fired it up so you could hear it but they didn't..
      here it is:.    

• By Reno Chris
      I took a friend out for a couple days in central Nevada to some hard rock mines (just got back). He got his first gold specimen with a GB2 within a couple hours, several more afterward and some more really nice ones  the following day. I got some nice pieces using the Gold Monster 1000. The GM100 is actually a really good machine on the dumps for picking out specimens. The very effective discrimination did a fine job of eliminating all the nails and other bits of iron trash so common in old hard rock dumps. Look for a more detailed article on using the GM 1000 to scan old hard rock dumps maybe as a treasure Talk feature or in the ICMJ magazine or both . Hard rock mines are overlooked by many prospectors and they have real potential. Its interesting that we got both pieces where the gold was quite yellow and others where it was silver rich and very much in the electrum range. The gold rich stuff tended to be more platy and the silver rich electrum was more wiry. Fun to pick this kind of thing off an old mine dump - this is a nice specimen of wiry, silver rich electrum gold - the gold comes out the back side of the specimen as well, so it goes clear through. You know the old miners didn't intend to throw this stuff away.

• By Ridge Runner
      The odd thing is some GM 1000 work great out of the box. Then others have trouble with the small coil. But then you have people like me and a few others have trouble with both coils.
      It would be interesting to know if Minelab has more than one plant where GM 1000 comes together. Then too if Minelab had to buy their electronics from another company that could of been substandard without knowing it.
      This wouldn't be the first time a top name company got the shaft unknowing what they were buying was substandard.
      How many of you have sent your GM 1000 in to Minelab ?
      Chuck
    • By AU_Solitude
      So I rolled the dice and picked up a Monster even though I am well aware of the potential coil problems. I know Steve, Chris, and many others who are vastly more experienced than myself have reviewed the detector but I thought I'd document my first six hours of use here as I am more of a novice. 
      Things I Like:
      Build quality - most of the photo's online make this almost look like a child's toy, fortunately, that couldn't be further from the truth and I really love the cam-lock system. Not quite as portable - or quickly deployed - as say the SDC, but I can break it down and fit it and the SDC in a 30L weekend pack. Very adaptable. Automatic ground tracking - As a fairly new prospector I love this for one reason - it eliminates the human element of error. I can use old standbys like the GB II fairly well, adjusting with my thumb as I go, and doubtless manual ground balancing is an edge under certain circumstances, but occasionally my mind wanders and needless to say I know personally I'm not getting optimal depth 100% of the time with manual ground balance. Speaker volume - love the adjustments here; I can dial it down when in the middle of nowhere or crank it when working near water (Headphones see below.) Iron/Gold Probability - I dug probably 200+ targets in six hours, the only time the discrimination was off initially was on a few square nail bits, and it pegs very strong gold on graphite hunks. All hot rocks I encountered swung to the iron probable side occasionally crossing over a little. Things I don't like:
      Lack of 1/4" headphone jack - I like using headphones and while I can get an adapter for the 3.5, my favorites are 1/4" and it's just one more cog in the works to bug out. Threshold - this is going to take some getting used to. I actually ran most of the time in auto+ just to get some noise.  
      All in all I am happy - I'll probably honestly keep this as my sole gold VLF and sell off the others. It's still a new machine, but I have not experienced any of the falsing or bump issues that seem to be so prevalent here on the web. I have ZERO issues with tracking out targets - as long as you maintain a wide, slower, swing speed over the target it doesn't seem to be an issue. 

• By Dallas
      Steve

I just bought the monster 1000 have you work AZ yet with your 1000