New Minelab Gold Monster 1000

Hello I am fairly new to the site and this is my first post on the site i hale from Arizona, I do more reading then anything else just trying to learn as much as I can from those that know.

not to much into forums but I am into metal detecting getting more into nugget shooting now then searching for coins and other things have been watching this post ever since it got posted and was wanting to know if there is anything new that can be divulged about it.

I am wanting a easy HF detector for nugget shooting as that is the main thing I will use it for have looked at the Gold Bug detectors and the Macro Gold Racer which I read good things on both of those also, but I am wanting a machine I can pretty much turn on and go for nugget detecting and the ML Gold monster sounds like it might fit my needs

I hunt in all kinds of remote locations in Arizona and occasionally detect outside of AZ in other states as well but mostly in AZ.

I currently have a couple of other detectors which I use for coin and treasure hunting but I am wanting a high freq detector just for gold nugget detecting.

Thanks to all that respond hope I can get some more info on the ML Gold monster..

Thank you Mr Herschbach for chiming in greatly appreciated

I live around the young area don't get on the internet much except when I go to the valley to visit people and family which is not often

kind of a recluse just me and my dog which is the way I like it 

• Like 6

Hello,

I just woke up from a near 4 year absence, I noted this interesting offering by Minelab at nice price, and an interesting 45 kHz as well.

After reviewing commentary on this forum, I have failed to see any commentary on the headphone jack, which I very well could have missed during my doldrums. 

Turns out the Minelab Monster 1000 headphone jack is a 1/8"...  Any insight or commentary on this?  Thank you!

RE:  Model: Minelab Gold Monster 1000
•Intended Use: Gold prospecting
•Operating frequency: 45 kHz
•Coil: 510 DD and 5 DD
•Headphone jack: Yes, 3.5 mm (1/8 inch)
•Display: LCD, Monochrome
•Screen backlight: No
•USB port: No
•Depth Indicator: No
•Discrimination: Gold
•Ground Balance: Automatic
•Pinpoint mode: No
•Sensitivity adjustment: Yes, Automatic & Manual....et al...

Gary Long/ LARGO

On 3/1/2017 at 0:04 AM, ~LARGO~ said:

Turns out the Minelab Monster 1000 headphone jack is a 1/8"

That is a head scratcher.  I could speculate on what they are thinking, but so can everyone here.  Almost day and a half gone by since you posted and this is the first response.  I don't know that I'm adding anything of value to this thread -- maybe better somewhere else.  But it wouldn't be the first thread on this site with little or no value.  :laugh:  And maybe it gives you some comfort that someone else thinks this is odd.  Looking at the pictures I didn't see where the jack is located.  Did you?

I've seen many complaints here about just the location of connectors on detectors.  You'd think if only one, it would be the 6.35 mm (1/4 inch), which is not only more common on headphones, but much more robust if you need an adapter.  Yes, there are 3.5 mm male to 6.35 mm female adapters (just looked on Amazon), but from a sturdiness standpoint, going that direction isn't even close than the alternative.  Failure (and damage) is much more likely using a small male --> large female.

As a peripheral comment, I wonder why there aren't more detectors with BOTH size female connectors built in.  The Teknetics Gamma (and maybe all the Tek "frat brothers") has that.  It makes a lot of sense from an ergo/user-friendy point of view.  I guess a possible downside (and I have no idea if this is true) would be if that somehow deteriorates the quality of the transmission compared to just one.  Yeh, it's slightly more expensive (< $1 I'd guess) and car companies have been known to cut out obvious options to save a few pennies, so maybe that's an argument against it.

But back to the main topic, regarding rushing out to buy a high frequency (HF) Induction Balance (IB) detector, Steve said something like "be patient" until its release (this month = March?).  That advice probably applies to this issue as well.  Maybe they'll surprise us and have the larger connector on the production models.

the Minelab Monster 1000 headphone jack is a 1/8"...  Any insight or commentary on this?

We know that the primary market for which the detector is targeted is Africa (though it certainly will be available elsewhere as well) and the African guys have little modern head sets that use 1/8 inch jacks. The don't own Grey Ghosts they bought 6 or 8 years ago.

You can buy cheaply UR-20 headphones which are the old UR-30s with a 1/8 inch jack. I bought a pair a few years ago for general use because I liked the UR-30s. Check Amazon. Also, if you check general headphones at places like Best Buy, you will see that the old 1/4 inch jack is rare - almost all that is new on the market is 1/8th. That is the future. I bought a pair a sound canceling headphones a while back, they don't come in 1/4 inch - they are 1/8 inch.

I know all you guys who bought special headphones for your detectors years ago all have 1/4 inch jack equipment.  I guess you can update with new stuff on the market or use the external speaker. Why don't more makers build in both 1/4 and 1/8th? for the same reason you cant hardly buy a TV player that does both CDs and VHS. Your 1/4 inch jack equipment is so 1990s - they are the VHS of headphones.:wink:

• Like 1