New Minelab Gold Monster 1000

1/4" is a far more robust solution for serious detecting but I am sure Chris got it right. It may be quite difficult to find 1/4" type headphones in Africa or most other countries these days. Let's face it, even 1/8" is old school now. Wireless is the future.

minelab-gold-monster-1000-in-action.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Reno Chris said:

So Gary - are we going to see you out at RP this year?

I hope so, Chris!  It's been a long time since I was there at RP, or anywhere, for that matter!   My wife insisted that I get a new RV over a year ago, I told her that I did have a trailer, and wasn't using it for good reason, she was pretty sick, in and out of the hospital several times for different reasons...   We DID buy that "cute" little trailer she would see as we drove home from Costco on the interstate near the Boise airport.  That "cute" little trailer is going into its second year of storage, never used in any way...  It's all paid off, everything is, so it isn't the money that keeps me away, it just hasn't been convenient...  Oh I do need to mention that I have a new cobalt/chromium knee, not sure what that combination means, it just wasn't the titanium one they said would be going in.  I will go for old times sake, if nothing else, I will probably try to sell my GPX5000 and a bunch of coils, as I think I would be chasing my new knee pretty much all the time, especially with the bigger coils...  Thanks for Asking, Chris, it is always good to hear from you!

7 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

1/4" is a far more robust solution for serious detecting but I am sure Chris got it right. It may be quite difficult to find 1/4" type headphones in Africa or most other countries these days. Let's face it, even 1/8" is old school now. Wireless is the future.

I thought that might be the case...thanks Steve!

2 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Steve said something like "be patient" until its release (this month = March?

All the dealer websites are quoting April availability. That being the case Minelab will probably fill in the information details soon. Like everyone I tend to wonder why manufacturers drag this stuff out once a machine becomes a known fact. Just to keep us speculating? Last minute details still being ironed out? Some new machines come out and it is like the manufacturers forget to tell anyone about them. The Fisher F19 when it came out got almost zero press from First Texas. I posted more about it than they did. Weird.

16 minutes ago, ~LARGO~ said:

I will probably try to sell my GPX5000 and a bunch of coils, as I think I would be chasing my new knee pretty much all the time, especially with the bigger coils...

If you have the cash Gary consider the SDC 2300. At the end of the day a hot VLF will still be a VLF. The SDC is in my opinion the best little nugget vacuum available right now for someone in your situation. Though I do wish Minelab would make a lighter weight version. They seem to forget that many people buying their detectors and not hard core hardened prospectors but retirees intent on keeping body parts functioning! If weight is an issue than the GM1000 will come in way under the SDC in that department. And far less expensive of course.

• Like 1

Steve I agree with what you have said here.  As good a detector as the 2300 is, I still find gold every time I use it, it is a ergonomic disaster.  I felt that the first day I used it and the last day I used it.  My biggest complaint with the 23 is the rear pivot coil.   I know it`s cleverly designed and can be folded up and carried in a suit case, but I`ve never felt the urge to do that.

With the SDC 2300 Minelab took the housing developed for a military mine detector, the F3 Compact, and stuffed a nugget detector in it. Same trick Garrett pulled by stuffing a nugget detector in the Recon Pro mine detector housing. Both those detector designs were made to satisfy a spec for a military bid that had nothing to do with nugget detecting. The fact no prospectors were demanding such designs seems lost on the companies. That is a subject for a whole different thread however so we best stay focused on the GM 1000 for this thread.

I watched the video over and over and saw now signs of a headphone jack location with the possible exception of this bump on the backside of the housing opposite the coil connection. Not much to hang my hat on there. More like if you watch the video a lot and eliminate all the places the 1/8" jack is not, this is all that is left.

minelabgold-monster-1000-control-box-less-rod-and-coil.jpg

Minelab Go-Find has a 1/8 jack and the Gold Bug Pro has both the 1/8 and the 1/4 jack.

Way back when before you had headphones jacks on detectors I put a 1/8 on my 66TR and never had trouble with it.

Chuck

Minelab tried to go to 1/8" with the Explorer S and Explorer XS. They came with the Minelab UR30 sporting a 1/8" plug - very hard to find now. That experiment was not well received, and when the Safari and E-TRAC were introduced both once again came with 1/4" jacks.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

If you have the cash Gary consider the SDC 2300. At the end of the day a hot VLF will still be a VLF. The SDC is in my opinion the best little nugget vacuum available right now for someone in your situation. Though I do wish Minelab would make a lighter weight version. They seem to forget that many people buying their detectors and not hard core hardened prospectors but retirees intent on keeping body parts functioning! If weight is an issue than the GM1000 will come in way under the SDC in that department. And far less expensive of course.

Hi Steve, I DO have an SDC 2300 now, not found anything with it thus far, however.  I will more than likely sell my GPX 5000, with a 7 or so coil collection, as it is may be too hot, since I got my cobalt/chromium TKR surgery last October...  Even the SDC 2300 may prove to be a bit sensitive with the new apparatus in me...  Hope to see you guys this year, it has been a very LONG time since I visited N. Nevada...  p.s. now I have a boatload of solar stuff, Steve.  When I bought my new trailer I was given a nice 40 watt Zamp solar panel setup,  I bought a 90 watt folding panel setup from Overland Solar, plus several panels like the ones you used on your trip to Alaska a few years back, plus a Yeti 400 storage battery arrangement...

Gary Long/ LARGO

• Like 1