Ringmoney

The Latest On The Deus V4 High Frequency Gold Coils

58 posts in this topic

Hopefully it will help  users with  the recovery for some of the artefact .I can t see myself looking at the screen every time I got a medium tone :) .I tried running the Goldbug pro on all metal using only the screen on nails carpet it drives me mad after 5 minutes and God knows my ears drum take a hit during my larking sessions as I am running the lowest discri as possible and all tones on the Deus...so discri on 0.Once again I can wait for the feedbacks .

RR

In a nutshell you are looking at real time graphical representations of VDI numbers and signal strength. It can be done many different ways, but in general jumbled, messy responses represent trashy responses. That's about all I can offer on the subject because at the end of the day in my opinion most screen displays of this type are gimmicks that get played with and abandoned. They are only as accurate as the underlying target responses. A common refrain with the DEUS is "ignore the screen and just dig good sounding targets". That applies here in my opinion. Others may have a different take on the subject.

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, jasong said:

Is it the same with the Deus? What causes the non-straight (squiggly or polar-looking) plots like in the vid Steve linked or what is the interpretation of that sort of plot on a type of target that changes with movement of the target over the coil? 

Is the phase related to VDI (or whatever it's called on a Deus/V3i)? It sounds like you are describing a vector but in the vid the Deus doesn't seem to be plotting vectors since the lines are all the same magnitude. I've never used a V3i, so not sure how similar or different they are.

Deus looks to be the same as V3, maybe a little more real time. The V3 attempts to plot a single sweep over the target, which is hard to figure out without a motion sensor in the coil.

A perfectly straight tight line represents a strong single-domain eddy response. The tilt of the line is the raw phase. Close to 3 o'clock (180°) is high silver; 2 o'clock might be copper cent; 1 o'clock nickel; 12 o'clock would be salt; between 9 and 12 o'clock is iron; 9 o'clock (0°) is pure ferrite. The distance from any point on the line to the origin is the signal strength. Yes, this is a simple vector response. Most (all?) detectors map the raw phase (0-180°) into a VDI range (i.e. 0-100); there is no standard for this.

As the response balloons out into a tilted ellipse, the ballooning represents a changing phase as the coil sweeps over. Often this is simply due to a weak signal. So you can read the tightness of the response as a confidence level.

The wild responses can be due to 2 things: multi-domain eddy responses, as in the silver chains; and combined magnetic & eddy responses, as with the bottle caps. As a bottle cap enters the coil field it initially looks ferrous due to the iron content. As it goes past the center of the coil the eddy response of the flat steel dominates and so the phase at the peak amplitude of the response looks non-ferrous. Many detectors report target VDI as read at the signal peak, which is why bottle caps fool them. With the XY plot you can visually see the whole response, so bottle caps become easy to discern.

6 people like this

There is an excellent thread on the subject as regards the V3i on the White's Forum, with Carl (Geotech) participating.

1 person likes this

Just spoke with my mate he had received the coil the propointer and the v4............and he is one of the reference regarding the deus....so far not impressed the propointer is a bit more powerful thant the garett ......i will keep u updated!

RR

With the Deus I have the RC wrist mounted on left wrist I find having it there I use the screen display on most signals. Recently purchased a CTX and its target trace screen gives more useful information, just a shame it cannot be placed on a wrist band as the Deus RC can. Hopefully ver4 has this feature, tis a powerful tool. 

Thanks, that's an informative response. I'm a bit confused at the naming as it's called both a polar plot and an XY plot (as in x-y coordinates?) which aren't the same thing, but X is also the normal symbol for reactivity yet Y is not the symbol used for resistivity so that confused me too, so it's a bit odd trying to figure out what information the plot is trying to convey having not seen this stuff before...

I understand what it's showing now after your explanation though, just a bit confused by the semantics.

6 hours ago, Geotech said:

The wild responses can be due to 2 things: multi-domain eddy responses, as in the silver chains; 

I don't understand what the domains are here. Does it have something to do with an individual eddy current setting up in each individual chain link so that there are a bunch of differently oriented counter magnetic fields caused by each of those individual eddys? Kinda like how they use laminated transformer cores so as to break up the eddy currents?

Interesting stuff, really looking forward to owning one of these Deus machines. Seems like this XY plot could be useful for city hunting but potentially misleading in the field for nugget hunting where there is chunky magnetite in the nuggets themselves but the ground (and balance) is fairly mild - would that give a squiggly response emulating junk whereas a VDI would just be based off the strongest signal (presumably the gold nugget) and read correctly as gold?

1 hour ago, jasong said:

Thanks, that's an informative response. I'm a bit confused at the naming as it's called both a polar plot and an XY plot (as in x-y coordinates?) which aren't the same thing, but X is also the normal symbol for reactivity yet Y is not the symbol used for resistivity so that confused me too,

Both polar and cartesian plots can have XY axes, what they represent depends on what they represent. Technically, for a metal detector they should be the IQ axes, for the "in-phase" and "quadrature" signals. Sometimes they are called the XR axes, for reactive (X) and resistive (R). Sometimes the ferrite is on the left, sometimes on the right, and sometimes at the 12 o'clock position, depending n the preference of the engineer.

1 hour ago, jasong said:

I don't understand what the domains are here. Does it have something to do with an individual eddy current setting up in each individual chain link so that there are a bunch of differently oriented counter magnetic fields caused by each of those individual eddys? Kinda like how they use laminated transformer cores so as to break up the eddy currents?

Yes, kind of. Bent and twisted metal ends up having eddy responses with different phase angles (the metal thickness appears to vary), so the response is not homogeneous. A bent nail, or can slaw, are good examples. Jewelry can also be all over the place.

On 2/16/2017 at 7:23 AM, Geotech said:

this is a simple vector response.

I've never really thought of these plots as a vector that changes as the coil goes over the target, but that is what it is, so the light bulb just went on. I would imagine that as gold nuggets are targets with odd shapes, varying thickness, bits of non-conductive minerals mixed in, all different sizes, etc. - that gold nuggets would commonly look a lot like can slaw on these plots.

14 minutes ago, Reno Chris said:

I've never really thought of these plots as a vector that changes as the coil goes over the target, but that is what it is, so the light bulb just went on. I would imagine that as gold nuggets are targets with odd shapes, varying thickness, bits of non-conductive minerals mixed in, all different sizes, etc. - that gold nuggets would commonly look a lot like can slaw on these plots.

Yes, nuggets often have multi-domain eddy responses.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Tnsharpshooter
      I am seeing folks report problems with V4.
      I have recently downloaded and updated both my units.
      If I try to go to disc,,and hit expert keys,,screen freeze.
      The same with notch selected,,,hit expert screen freeze.
      Also no freq shift allowed,,screen freeze.
      Have to power down to get out of screens.
      Some folks are not having this problem,,but many are.
      Seems going back to 3.2 version solves all these problems.
      Stay tuned.

• By Tnsharpshooter
      Just a heads up.
      http://www.xpmetaldetectors.com/DEUS/Update/DEUS_UPDATE_English_Setup.exe
      USA link with info.
      http://www.findmall.com/read.php?83,2354487
      Version 4.0 manual
      http://www.xpmetaldetectors.com/telechargement/Instruction manual/DEUS_V4_MANUAL_UK.pdf

• By Tnsharpshooter
      Alright, another hunt today,,5 hours long,,same site as yesterday.
      I feel the need to share some I think worthy information.
      Xp Deus version 4,, is quite a bit different from version 3.2.
      Overall it is better,,will I think make some sites come alive again,,hunted previously with any detector really even Deus and previous versions to Version 4.
      I listened close today,,and did make some worthy finds,,,considering all or maybe some of these has had a detector coil over them by me personally during the course of the last 6 years.
      So what is different with version 4??
      First let me say,,,so far my exclusive use of version 4 really is running the hot program.
      I ran disc setting again today using full tones  disc between 2.0 and 2.5., I did find a few finds by using,,and with time in the site today,,I really started bearing down.
      My goal was to try and start seeing if by audio alone and how it behaved,,could I start cracking the code on maybe trying to realize what real challenged nonferrous might just sound like.
      Well I tried using the disc settings above,,,whalt happened???
      I was digging nails,,,yes nails sounded pretty darn good,,,one thing though about these signals here I was digging,,they were a bit shorter,,but has the other characteristics of usually what a good hit would sound like.
      Well as I went t along,,I got over another one of these similar behaving/sounding targets,,,so I'm saying to myself,,huh and other nail???
      Well here is where the light bulb started brighter,,,I started reducing disc,,got to zero,. this suspect target still sounded like a good hit(closer),,so I just kept lowering disc,,and sweeping,,,,when I got to -2.5--- Eureka!!
      With disc setting -2.5 in full tones using version 4,,, to me this sounds awfully close to version 3.2 does.
      Meaning the Deus over nails,,,give the rolling sounds,,with grunts.
      I hunted for around 2 hours using in the site,,,,and the site sounded like I was running 3.2 (almost),, and this here is BIG.
      Deus version 4,, based even on so far roughly 8 hours in the field,,,has even more of an inate ability to find nonferrous in iron and nails,,,but ALSO has the more inate ability even a user will listen to tone intelligence/ characteristics,,,to ID ferrous materials with unusually shapes,,including round(er).
      And before a person says,,Well Deus has always liked round,,,yes I know this,,,but I think now,,,even in a separation and unmasking detecting scenario,,,it is seeing more here on even ferrous,,,and I think this carries over to the nonferrous side as well.
      Some folks may have thought Deus version 3.2 was the end all for Xp,,,well I got news for those who thought --Wrong.
      I do realize due to weather, some Deus users are grounded so to speak,,,all I can say,,is if you are a Deus runner,,and enjoyed running full tones using 3.2 with zero and even lower disc,,,I highly recommend you opt for disc setting of -2.5,, for your self,,,to at least establish a base line of sorts,,,this I think will help you and speed up your learning curve overall.
      In the pic,,ferrous on top,,nonferrous on the bottom.
      The 2 nonferrous button and brass thingy,,dug on edge around 5-5.5" deep,,the bigger item towards the right is lead,,,looks a lot like the find I dug earlier here.  This particualr find,,,I would almost bet the farm,,if swung over using Deus version 3.2,, user would be thinking iron.
      The little musket ball,,a mere 1.5" deep,,,covered with ferrous too,,and the little flat button a mere 3" deep.
      The iron finds,,they had quite a bit of signature of being nonferrous,,,I really think Deus with version 3.2 would have be used to study these targets,,,likely would have called them moreso iron. Not as much of a way to base audio on the shape of ferrous.
      Seems version 4 has narrowed the gap a bit as far as ferrous and nonferrous,, distinguishing with tone.
      I have always said,,and folks I think don't realize this,,,most folks seem to guide their thinking on how well a detector sees nonferrous or alerts on it or recognizes it.
      But something equally important is how a detector recognizes iron and nails and the degree to which they do.  I mean a detector has to do both well,,to be a very good detecto IMO.  I would also bet,, version 4 Deus is better on say half of coins in ground and in nails and iron vs Deus 3.2.
      Dragnet is wider using version 4.0....

• By Tnsharpshooter
      Alright,
      Deus V4 hunt, 9" coil.
      Three and a half hours roughly.
      I can already say this based on this short period of using V4 in the wild.
      The $1 and $2.50 USA gold coins,,the half dimes,,even the real worn ones,,eagle cuff buttons,,,,all should be shaking in their boots.
      Version 4 is no BS folks.
      Very solid performer.
      This site I've spent a lot of time on,,I call this one of my detector proving grounds site,,,cause it is challenging,,and I take certain models detectors here to just see what happens.
      I only ran the hot program on Deus version 4,,, 90 sens ,,,dead on GB,,,reactivity 2.5 silencer -1.
      Super signals provided on these targets in pic.
      I have dug similar finds in this site with Deus version 2 and 3.2,,So I know what most of them sounded like,,,these targets today BIG difference.
      I encourage relic hunters at least to waste no time updating their detectors
      to version 4.
      So besides the super signals on these targets what else did I see.
      Don't know what this means exactly,,,all of these targets but one,,,could not be detected in plug even if the plug was turned right side up.
      The harmonica reed was pretty deep,,,and it had a bit of iron twang to it.
      I compared hot program to Deus fast program with the same settings dialed in,,,they seem different to me.
      I will bet over the last 3 years somebody in the USA with Deus has actually swung over a $1 gold coin,,not that deep mind you,,,and never was alerted.
      If they would have had version 4 Deus running in hot program,,this coin would have been recovered.
      I checked the mineralization meter,,remember Inwas using 9" coil,,,4 ticks in the meter,,checked in 3 different spots.
      Hot program seems a bit sparkier in iron,,,and here is some thing I never notice before with version 3.2.  If a person using hot program,,if they hover their coil over iron they will make it sound like a more diggable signal.
      I played a bit with negative Disc,,,but I hunted with disc level at 2.5 using full tones.
      Version 4 seems to make shakier version 3.2 signals,,and turns them into full fledged good signal.
      Big congrats deserving to Xp here,,,I really mean this too.
      I expect to see some nice finds made with version 4 Deus runners.
      I have been hunting this site for 6 years,,on and off,,mostly on,,,today,,for time hunted my most productive hunt,,and to think I was wet behind the ears with version 4,,,,this should tell folks some thing,,,it does me.
      The three finds top left are ferrous,,the rest nonferrous.
      This site has never produced much for me over the years,,straight across the road,,that spot has been a lot better for me,,,now I got to hunt it using version 4. No telling what I'll find,,that is where the contemporary capped bust dime was found.

• By Ridge Runner
      Some of us has been waiting on the version 4 for our XP Deus but it's been slow in coming.  I've been doing a search if it's any info out there. Well if you do a search for a video on this subject matter you find one after another. One guy shows downloading the V 4. but nothing is said where you can. It shows guys coin hunting and lots of show & tell on the V 4.
      Chuck 
    • By Tnsharpshooter
      I enjoy running my Deus units in full tones while hunting,,especially relic hunting.
      But is full tones necessarily the best to run in all cases???
      Can a nonferrous target be missed,,,even a worthy coin???
      The answer to the second question above,,,YES.
      Deus users I recommend you do the following experiment and similar experiements for understanding.
      Take a look at the pic below.
      The ruler is in pic to show nail size.
      Two nails are pictured,,,but only one was used at a time,,,in the position associated with IH penny.
      Deus users using full tones (no disc or very low) sweeping down the barrel of this nail,,(I used  9" coil btw),,do you think you would dig the coin???
      Would I??
      IMO I even with as much Deus experience I have,,,,I would give a less than 40 percent chance of digging.
      What are the symptoms here with this coin and nail configuration??
      You won't get much tone nuance,,little if any to identify,,,,you do get elongated low roar(so near iron grunt) it ain't funny.
      Meter reading will amp to and try to read in the mid20s to 30s,,,but the meter reading don't match the sound provided in the least.
      Btw I have seen some relic iron (solo buried) do the very same thing here.
      So what to do,,,to maybe not miss a find maybe laying in this configuration in an old site???
      IMO,,,users would be serving themselves here well,,,if they have an adjacent program setup,,using regular 2 tone or 3 tones setup,,with disc at level between 6-7,,,I used 7 when testing coin with bigger nail,,,nail procided no tone,,dead quiet,,,,but put the coins,,,IH,,zincoln,,or clad dime as shown in pic,,and a good tone to stop you in your tracks.
      When in the field using full tones,,you hear a longer signal,,dull sounding,,meter reading in 20s or 30s,,toggle to your adjacent 2 or 3 tone program and sweep and listen.