The Latest On The Deus V4 High Frequency Gold Coils

Ringmoney

Guest Tnsharpshooter

I wonder why Xp didn't make a 6x9" coil,,,using the original frequencies??

I would have been interested in one of those,,,,if separation could have been increased over 9" round coil.

At least I can get the pinpointer and be happier.

Sorry I havent gotten more updates up.  I accidently bricked my coil downgrading to v3.2 with 3.2 update softwar and v4 coil paired.  The v4 update software recognizes v4 coils and doesnt try to push down grade to it like 3.2 installer did.  Oops...now i wait and see if it can be recovered.  Had i realizes 3.2 (and 2.0 for that matter) were options in the new installer it could have been avoided.  So there is some tester advice.  Only use the new installer to be safe.  Hope I'm not stuck with a $425 paper weight.

Andy Sabisch had a full and detailed report on the V4 beta testing and info on release dates on Facebook . This is copied from Andy's post.

V4.0 . .  . Let's try this one more time . . . . . 

People keep posting that they are upset at XP for not releasing V4.0 and having the "audacity" of releasing it to dealers while the consumer is left outside looking in.  Well, to put it bluntly, the reason the software has not been released is that it is NOT ready . . . not sure what makes people think it is.

The fact that a VERY small number of dealers just received the beta software and accessories to test was done intentionally and it was to ensure there are no glitches rather than giving them a leg up on the competition as some have posted.  XP is not playing favorites but rather trying to get all the test data they can to make sure it is ready when released.

All of the new accessories need to work with the V4.0 software and while some people have zero interest in them, they are part of the updated software. The testing is taking place to ensure the software works with them for the 95% of the people that want at least one of them as well as the 5% that simply want the software update.

Personally I am sure that future updates will not be discussed prior to their release as was done when V3.0 - V3.2 was released after this debacle in terms of customer posts. That way there is no hype, speculation and angst when it is not released due to issues that arose. Many of you have said XP should release it and then issue patches to address any issues . . . . . if you feel the Microsoft-way of releasing software is the answer that's fine but XP does not subscribe to that approach. That happened when V3.0 was released followed by V3.1 and V3.2 within a few weeks and they have said there will be no V4.1, V4.2, etc.this time.

There have been multiple revisions to the V4.0 code (4.0.XX) to get to the present point and as issues are found they are getting addressed but when the release is made, it will be V4.0. It i still in beta testing at this point and input is being collected from around the world.  XP wants to make sure this release is done right period.

Not sure how many users you think there are in the States but the U.S. user base is a very small percentage of Deus owners worldwide. Having been at the Gold Rally in the UK where there were 750+ Deus users made me realize that it is truly a worldwide detector that has taken the world by storm .  Everyone is anxious to get it but when it is released the number of people that will be downloading it will make your head spin. The last thing XP wants is an issue with the build that requires more recoding, testing and another release.  They have more projects on the table and the sooner they can get V4.0 out, the sooner they can move on to getting them into our hands.

Personally I would rather have it RIGHT than RIGHT NOW and that is the approach that XP is taking.

Andy Sabisch

• Like 1

People have seriously suggested XP would put this in dealer hands first, just so the dealers can run out and clean out all the last remaining good finds left on earth ahead of everyone else? Just when I think every silly thing has been said that can be said about metal detecting something newer and sillier comes along!

They just need to take all the time needed, period. Rushing anything to market is never the answer. And try as they may I will bet on 4.1 happening anyway. No number of testers can find what thousands of users worldwide can find. But let's get it 99% done anyway.

Besides, more delay gives me another reason to watch Hitler one more time!

On 2/23/2017 at 8:53 PM, DetectingMO said:

I accidently bricked my coil downgrading to v3.2 with 3.2 update softwar and v4 coil paired...  Hope I'm not stuck with a $425 paper weight.

I hope that coil came back to life!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 2/17/2017 at 9:53 PM, Rivers rat said:

My mate did more test today on nuggets of different size and shapes from Australia and changing frequency doesn't really affect the detection depth the V4 seems to turn the deus into a more capable gold prospecting machine but still it is not a GPZ.....

RR

RR, can you provide more news from your friend regarding tests and settings on HF coil for nuggets?

I can tell you how the Deus high frequency coils will perform without having ever run them. At 14 kHz they will operate on par with other similar machines running a similar size coil. At 14 kHz the Deus 9" Coil will come close to duplicating what the Whites MXT can do with its 10" round DD. At higher frequencies they will come close to matching other high frequency machines. The only real question in my mind is if the Deus elliptical running at 80 KHz can match the Gold Bug 2 running its 10" elliptical at 71 kHz? My guess is the Gold Bug 2 will retain the crown since it is specifically tuned for and operates solely at 71 kHz. The Deus frequency shifting trick has so far always resulted in compromises being made at some frequency. However, if the Deus can get "close enough" to duplicating both MXT and Gold Bug 2 performance in a single detector that will be an achievement.

That is the easy part actually. The second question is can the Deus ground tracking system keep up with bad Australian ground? The standard to match there will likely be the new Minelab Gold Monster. Getting good operation as a manual ground balance machine is easier, but getting a high frequency to track efficiently in bad ground while not tracking out gold nuggets is difficult. That issue is less important to me personally but will be of greater concern to Australian users.

Finally, the only real reason for me to use a single frequency detector is for 1. the hots on the really tiny gold and 2. ability to discriminate ferrous material in very trashy locations. These two areas are where my GPZ 7000 suffers. However, the best report I have seen regarding the older 3.2 Deus operation in bad ground as a discriminating nugget detector left room for concern. I would assume due to the expansion of the ground balance range that this is an area XP was trying to address. How has that worked out?

The thing is the Deus in each mode is operating as a single frequency detector, and that has already been done to death by existing nugget detectors. The best XP will be able to achieve ar each discrete frequency will be simply to match the best of already existing detectors. The only benefit being offered as far as I see is replacing two or more other units with one single, lightweight, compact detector.

It will under no circumstance replace detectors like the SDC 2300 or GPZ 7000, though it may very well augment such machines.

I have a Teknetics G2 (Gold Bug Pro) and a Fisher Gold Bug 2. I will be comparing the Deus V4 against these two top notch detectors, G2 at 19 khz against Deus at 18 kHz with existing coils and also the new coil at 14 kHz. And then the new coil at 80 kHz versus the Gold Bug 2 at 71 kHz. By winter I will either keep the Deus or let it go depending on how that all works out. However I am hopeful that just the Deus HF coil will be "good enough" at both 14 kHz and 80 kHz to do the trick. I do not need it to 100% replace two detectors. I just need it to be good enough that I see no point in keeping the other two when I can have just one, especially when the Deus can also coin, jewelry, and relic hunt. It could very well be as close to that onetrue do it all machine I have craved but which has as of yet never been attained. The key for me is that very high top end frequency which until now had always required me to own a specific machine for that purposes i.e. Gold Bug 2, GMT, Gold Racer.

• Like 2