Amazingly detailed report JP - there are few who have the knowledge and expertise to produce something comparable.

The fact you would not choose the QED as your primary detector should not be surprising. Just like with the Infinium and later TDI it is unfair to expect relatively inexpensive machines to go up against much more sophisticated and also much more expensive detectors and beat them hands down. The key in my mind is to look at performance offered for a price, and to sum up your report as "Good value for money" is all one can ask of any detector.

This quote in particular "The QED struggles compared to the SDC in the more mineralised soils, however the QED does seem superior to the ATX" says a lot to me because I consider the ATX to be a very capable detector personally, underrated even.

Some people who would never have thought you would ever report on anything but a Minelab must of had their heads explode reading this. Thank you for choosing this forum to do so!

Based on your report I would have to say congratulations to Howard are in order. This may not be the Minelab company destroyer the Minelab detractors were looking for but it would seem it is a very capable machine for the money, if one is prepared to master it.

• Like 5

Many thanks JP, your post has answered the questions I was seeking to find answers to.

• Like 1

Thanks for detailed report report JP ,

I have  seen Dean from Gold Search Australia  use the QED and  a NF 8x6  sadie coil , in soil around Dunolly Vic picks up micro gold .

And yes well done Howard and  congratulations

ROD

JP - you have suffered 'the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune" so often - on the supposed grounds of being "other than unbiased" for a certain Australian firm.

Now, here you go and mess with our minds by showing yourself to be - oh crap - a real person, who looks, evaluates and says what they have so concluded.

thank you.  i am a suspicious and basically cynical person, I guess being a buyer for 35 years left its mark.  Nice to see my preconceptions exploded.

cheers.

• Like 4

Well... I enjoyed reading that review JP' sounds like you guys had a bit of enjoyment playing around with Howards hand built magic stick, sounds like it works ok?

Any chance of testing it with large gold like that chunk in your Avatar photo?

dont mind what detector you compare it to but I'd enjoy another review from you before the forums bombarded with everyone else's input.

cheers