22 posts in this topic

Amazingly detailed report JP - there are few who have the knowledge and expertise to produce something comparable.

The fact you would not choose the QED as your primary detector should not be surprising. Just like with the Infinium and later TDI it is unfair to expect relatively inexpensive machines to go up against much more sophisticated and also much more expensive detectors and beat them hands down. The key in my mind is to look at performance offered for a price, and to sum up your report as "Good value for money" is all one can ask of any detector.

This quote in particular "The QED struggles compared to the SDC in the more mineralised soils, however the QED does seem superior to the ATX" says a lot to me because I consider the ATX to be a very capable detector personally, underrated even.

Some people who would never have thought you would ever report on anything but a Minelab must of had their heads explode reading this. Thank you for choosing this forum to do so!

Based on your report I would have to say congratulations to Howard are in order. This may not be the Minelab company destroyer the Minelab detractors were looking for but it would seem it is a very capable machine for the money, if one is prepared to master it.

4 people like this

Many thanks JP, your post has answered the questions I was seeking to find answers to.

1 person likes this

Thanks for detailed report report JP ,

I have  seen Dean from Gold Search Australia  use the QED and  a NF 8x6  sadie coil , in soil around Dunolly Vic picks up micro gold .

And yes well done Howard and  congratulations

ROD

JP - you have suffered 'the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune" so often - on the supposed grounds of being "other than unbiased" for a certain Australian firm.

Now, here you go and mess with our minds by showing yourself to be - oh crap - a real person, who looks, evaluates and says what they have so concluded.

thank you.  i am a suspicious and basically cynical person, I guess being a buyer for 35 years left its mark.  Nice to see my preconceptions exploded.

cheers.

4 people like this

We are fortunate to have JP on this forum and I personally consider his word and integrity to be without question. The thing is people have a go at him when simply asking him directly about whatever it is they find questionable will get an informative reply. It really can be that simple.

9 people like this

Well... I enjoyed reading that review JP' sounds like you guys had a bit of enjoyment playing around with Howards hand built magic stick, sounds like it works ok?

Any chance of testing it with large gold like that chunk in your Avatar photo?

dont mind what detector you compare it to but I'd enjoy another review from you before the forums bombarded with everyone else's input.

cheers

Just a reminder JP is busy so patience please regarding answers.

Can someone in the USA purchase this detector and if so from where?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Ridge Runner
      I don't believe it's necessary to say the name of any detector.
      I do find if I swing with the right hand on some detectors all is well. Then others would be best if in the other hand.A lot has to do with what side the controls are on. Like some you find them on the side of the control box. Then others it has to do with the headphones and where they plug in. I dislike a detector that don't come with a stand. It don't go out the door until I make something to keep it off the ground.
      I think the best for all is when you find the controls above your hand and can be seen in either.
      Tell me if you find yourself standing on the wrong side of your detector. Just maybe yours is user friendly.
      Chuck 
    • By Steve Herschbach
      Really short video that illustrates a very basic difference between VLF and PI nugget detecting. It is not so much that a PI finds gold better but but that a PI ignores ground and hot rocks that make a VLF go nuts.

• By Rivers rat
      I think thats is really cool

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272596388483?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Imagines a xterra on prospecting mode int hose rich gravel rivers..................................

A Explorer 2 waterproof is really good too..

RR
    • By MikePfeiffer
      I am writing this in hopes that some metal detector manufacturers will read this and see what is wanted by the people in the field.
      What manufacturer to you think is on the leading edge? (why)
      What manufacture do you think needs a wake up call?
      What is your favorite all purpose detector? (coin, jewelry, and relic)
      What is your favorite prospecting detector?
      What do you wish the manufacturers would incorporate in new machines?
      I am not going to answer the question as I do not feel my knowledge base is at the level of the people on this forum. I still use a 30 year old detector. Everything I have read shows that this forum has the highest knowledge base of ones I have seen. Add any additional question that you think may be of interest.
    • By Ringmoney
      I wont mention the brand for fears of any bias against the manufacturer. This is one for the tech heads on here, what does the following quote mean to you, is there any substance in it?

Now here is one for the nugget hunters on here, how does this compare to existing top of the line gold detectors?

• By Rick Kempf
      Fisher made it clear (accidently) a long time back what their new gold machine would be - it would utilize more than one frequency at a time. It will process signals in ways not done before. It will require fewer controls. It will provide new modes of operator feedback.
      Unfortunately the 2016 release date which was shown on the "leaked" information was not met.  
      Why does it take so long - what are they waiting for?  Here's something their Chief Designer, Dave Johnson posted a while back about the pace of detector development.
      It's a compromise between what marketing department wants to sell, and what engineering department is capable of delivering. Some products require years of development of new technology before they're ready to sell-- for example, the CZ was ten years between initial concept and product introduction, and the development process went through 18 different prototype designs.