• Announcements

• Steve Herschbach

Archives Closed - New Forums   10/16/2017

The old archive system has been closed and the threads moved to new forums. See the full forum listing here. Detailed explanation here.

As far as I know it can only be purchased from Goldsearch in Australia.

16 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Can someone in the USA purchase this detector and if so from where?

Don't think it has FCC compliance for sale or export to the USA yet? From what's been said on the AEGPF forum overseas sales are a long way off? It's reportedly up to a 2 month wait for one Downunder.

I wish to stress again that the QED "works relatively best in the less mineralised soils for small gold." Together with good ergonomics, this is clearly its niche. This is my sincere advice based on my experiences with the QED.

To respond to some queries around the net: Obviously the QED was tested thoroughly on a large range of gold, up to several tens of ounce nuggets, and in a variety of soils.

I draw readers attention to the inference of what I've written in the review:

"Beyond the scope of the above suggested (QED) prospecting (very small gold & patch hunting mainly in relatively unmineralised soils), I choose not to comment further, other than we will not be using the QED for purposes other than secondary activities, and still intend to use other well-known detectors for primary prospecting activities because of their other advantages."

JP

• Like 3

What coil(s) did you guys use for which parts of the testing?

18 minutes ago, jasong said:

What coil(s) did you guys use for which parts of the testing?

A range of different sizes, 8" as mentioned and 15" x 12" Commander Mono's for 'size for size' comparison with the GPZ14, plus many others. 

JP

• Like 1

There are some impressive test results on larger gold with the QED in a comparison test against the GPZ and GPX now  posted on the Finders forum here in Oz.

14 minutes ago, goldenoldie said:

There are some impressive test results on larger gold with the QED in a comparison test against the GPZ and GPX now  posted on the Finders forum here in Oz.

Can you post a link to the thread?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Steve Herschbach
      I missed this video when it came out. It is well done however so I am posting it now - better late than never! Slick little detector for only $349.00.
      Fisher F44 Owner's Manual

• By Steve Herschbach
      What we are discussing is usually called "Recovery Speed" by most manufacturers. From the White's XLT User Manual:
      "Recovery Speed - Speeds target responses, so several targets that are close together can each respond.
      When a metal is detected, it takes a fraction of a second for the detector to process the signal before it can respond to another metal target nearby. The time it takes to process the first metal target signal so that the second metal target signal can respond is called RECOVERY SPEED.
      There are advantages and disadvantages to fast (high numbers) and slow (low numbers) RECOVERY SPEEDS. Faster RECOVERY SPEEDs work well in high trash areas. However, they will have some difficulties with very deep targets as well as double responses on shallow targets. Slower RECOVERY SPEEDs do not work very well in high trash areas. However, they will have better responses on very deep targets. Slower speeds also have more definitive discrimination sounds. A custom setting needs to be found that suits the preferences of the individual and the conditions in the area. As a general rule, the closer together the metal targets are in an area, the faster the recovery speed should be. The more spacing between targets, the slower the speed should be. Don't use the fast speed if you don't need to.
      In very trashy areas it is recommended to switch to a loop smaller in size than the standard 9.5 inch black loop. Smaller loops offer better separation between targets. However, larger loops detect deeper and cover more area with each pass. RECOVERY SPEED combined with a smaller loop can be used to search severely trashy areas."
      Just to confuse people White's decided to call it "Recovery Delay" on the V3i. A low recovery delay equates to a fast recovery speed.
      From the White's V3i User Manual:
      "Recovery Delay - 1 – 200 200 = slowest. Additional and separate (beyond filtration) selection for the signal response time. Short response time benefits performance in high trash by providing better target separation. A longer response time allows a larger window to detect deeper targets. Ideal Recovery Delay is dependent on Ground Filter selection, ground mineralization, trash density, and your average sweep speed (how quickly you move the search coil)."
      It would seem detector manufacturers abhor standard terminology, even the same manufacturer! XP has decided to call Recovery Speed by an even newer term - Reactivity. From the Deus User Manual:

• By Decanfrost
      Hi,
      Regarding the VLF detectors.Can someone answer for me what constitutes a VLF with good discrimination?.I feel to discriminate that speed is a factor as well.Otherwise no matter how good,if a target is next to iron it will read off a good hit.
      The Deus has fast reactivity,so is this now a good discriminator.Between ferrous and non ferrous?. How does this compare to say the Nokta Impact for speed discrimination.
      Thanks in advance
      Ash
    • By mn90403
      While looking around on the Minelab site I came across this article by Bruce Candy.  It will certainly be a re-read for some but for me it was a first.
      There is much more than just Minelab in the article.  It included ground balancing, discrimination, gold detectors, coin detectors and a host of other related issues with knowing some of the technology about target detecting.
      It doesn't yet include ZED technology but does explain why it is so hard to have a gold detector that discriminates.  (When you discriminate you lose targets!)

http://www.minelab.com/__files/f/11043/KBA_METAL_DETECTOR_BASICS_&_THEORY.pdf
    • By Steve Herschbach
      This is an informal survey, just out of curiosity. For those of you who have been out prospecting in the last year (back to Sept 2014) and actually have found gold nuggets, what detector or detectors did you find the gold with? The poll is not meant to prove anything. I am just wondering what detectors are most commonly in use now for finding gold nuggets by those who are actually finding the gold.

I am posting this on the most of the active US forums so please do not post your answer in more than one place. In a week I will compile all the answers from all the forums and post the results back to each one. Thanks in advance for you participation.

I own a number of units but so far in the last year my gold was found with the Minelab GPZ 7000, SDC 2300, and a few nuggets in trashy areas with the Makro Racer.
    • By Kenny
      Hi Steve, please I need your advise on the detetctor that I just ordered from China, Nugget 9.5inch, waterproof coil with 9.6khz. Its sold by Chinavasion. I actually ordered before getting to know about this site of yours and as someone with little or no knowledge about the detetctor, I go for something cheap and also with a reasonable depth. The depth of this machine is 3.5m. I am writing this because I could still cancel the order if I know it won't be functional. I also noticed yesterday that most of the detectors from US give 5yrs warranty while this one gave just 1yr warranty. Please kindly advise. Anybody else could give helpful hints. I will also like to know what the FREQUENCY rating means to a detetctor. Thanks