Steve Herschbach    7,843

I appreciate people posting relevant links - what would the Internet be without links?

• Like 3

LukeOzDigger    106

JP.

now that Iv purchased my own QED unit and had time for some testing and a general play... why have you made it sound so confusing to operate?

its made me actually concerned wondering why you even bothered to do a review on the QED to begin with?

your dead right tho' it's pretty good with small coils, but also impressive with larger ones too...

Instead of worrying about JPs motives how about doing your own review instead Luke? JP offered his opinions and they are welcome. Your opinions on the QED are welcome also.

If you do so I will be as excited by people casting aspersions on your motives as I am with you casting aspersions on JPs. Anybody is free to offer opinions and reviews on this forum without having motivations questioned by other forum members.

Frankly, where you see negatives I saw a fairly positive and informative review from JP that helped legitimize the QED at a time when the information available from other sources was nil to none.

• Like 6

IdahoAl    19

Hello All, Not much interested in another detector but it is ALWAYS good to hear from JP!!:biggrin:

• Like 1

auminesweeper    603

That's a great report JP, and you pointed out the glass is half full with this machine with it have so many possibilities and it does so much when you take in to account the price point, and to find Gold in an area that has been well used is saying a lot, Nothing is ever going to match certain well known machines, But the QED seems to offer the best bang for the buck along with giving less well versed people a chance to get in the thick of it.  

It seems like the QED is the perfect machine for someone who is just getting in to the hobby or on a limited budget, This hobby needs more machines like this to cater for the young and old as well,

thanks again,

John.

• Like 2

Bhogg    6

Interesting report JP,

I personally haven't seen or used one yet, but the test results were very impressive I must admit, and also love the price!!  

But reading the first quarter to half of the report made it sound like a Very involved and complicated machine to get use too and sorted out for whatever ground and conditions you happened to be working in at the time.

And because of the price I'm guessing newbies that can't afford a $3500 PI detector and want to get into the gold side of detecting may buy it but find it very confusing/ confronting to get it running correctly/ smoothly and be put off by it.

But once you've got it dialled in it sounds like a very sensitive capable and powerful machine! and also the added bonus of being lighter to swing all day for those of us that ain't as young as we use to be or have bad shoulders like myself!.

look forward to seeing a few videos in the near future of this machine in action.

Cheers

Well, to be honest, try to describe anything in detail in writing and it can come across as complicated. For instance, describe in detail how to know which settings are best on a GPX 5000 under different conditions. I can tie my shoes without thinking but to write down the steps involved can make it sound intimidating. It's somewhat inherent in the medium if you want to be sure the information is detailed and complete.

• Like 4

goldenoldie    11

It is a shame that Dave Emery's Pulse Devil project did not reach the market as some of his work is incorporated within the QED. 

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By auminesweeper
      Steve, It is funny you say about a BFO machine late last year I bought an old Whites 5900 Di Pro Plus that had never been used, the owner had bought it and put it in his loft and then bought a waterproof detector so this one got forgotten about, anyways I bought it and I put batteries in it and fired it up and It has brutal power and it has a threshold that is even better than the TDI SL,
      I tested it and you can ground balance highly magnetic ground and if it still makes the threshold waver slightly you can adjust the Disc and knock it out all together, When it comes to power what modern machines do with a 15" it can exceed them using the standard "old" 950 coil,  and it has no problem discing out large Iron, and it has  stacked two stage GB control knobs,
      I since found out that these thing have almost a cult following in the US, I phone Whites in Inverness and they told me it was made in July 1989
      John.

• By Rajat
      I always have one question in mind which is the best frequency for silver and gold jwellary or treassure hord at the same time i know 7 to 15 khz is for silver relics tressure 15khz to upper is for gold suppose if i find a cannal full of silver and gold jwellary which frequency is best suited for it 
    • By auminesweeper
      I have been watching a thread over on PA and it seems there are a few problems, But some of the replies from those pro qed folks seem a little daunting when you consider that the main issue is the ground balance and threshold, which brings to mind JP's review.
      I find the TDI's a bit worrisome as in when to deploy each of the conductivity settings and find it is much easier to run the SL set to ALL, the QED would drive me nuts when you take the latest reply in to account having to do a Math equation to set the GB/Threshold,
      anyway here is the link maybe one of you wiser people can translate it all in to common English.
        https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?id=23399
    • By GB_Amateur
      From things I've read and heard, there is a small but loyal following for at least some of the CZ series (with single digits, -3, -4, -5, -6, etc.) and even claims that they are still today among the best coin detectors.  I wasn't detecting when this series was available and don't know any more than a few snippets here and there in posts.  They do show up on eBay and from (at least some of) the prices, I surmize they are still in demand.  Would someone post an overview of the series, highs and lows, pluses and minuses, etc.?  I think I've read that Tom Dankowski used to mod one of these models for extra depth.  Also wondering if Dave Johnson had a hand in the design/engineering of this series or if they occurred in the time window when he was working elsewhere.
    • By Steve Herschbach
      Looks funny but there is not far between this video and a decent beach detector at least. Just need the digger scoop arm on the back. Kind of like turning a Roomba loose on the beach!

• By Mark Gillespie
      A guy found this detector in a wood pile at a local factory.  Looked like it had been there for years, weathered badly, shaft was broken and coil was busted.  As a challenge they gave it to me.  Two days later I installed batteries and low and behold it came on.  Couldn't find a manual so I went into experimental mode and can say I was impressed with the air test (for a China product). 
      To start with I thought it was a single tone machine, dime and nickel gave a high tone, but adjusting the ground balance and the discrimination revealed attributes that reminded me of the TDI.  Now a nickel gives a low tone and a dime remained a high tone.  
      Next I took the machine to my test garden of over 10 years and was shocked to hear a repeatable response of my deepest targets. 
      Please note, I’m not promoting China products, only indicating what I found.

There is one adjustment on the side that I’m wondering about not sure what it might be.
      Would also like information about this machine, the internet really doesn’t indicate when they were manufactured or much detail.