I see a lot of moisture went through nevada,anyone know if winnemucca area got any of these gullywashers up in that area. Hoping it may have stirred the ground a little up there also.

Dont want to see any personal damage to the area but the ground needed a good cleansing in my opinion,springs a comin.         Rick

I've been watching the news and have not heard of anything that far east. There has been some flooding on the Carson River and locally around Reno, but the water has not been quite as high in this part of the country as it was in early January.

Thanks  chris ,theres still hope winters not over yet.  Hope to see you and steve this spring maybe.

I'm planning to take my trailer up to Imlay for April and May and explore all over up there.
The one flooding I did hear of to the east was in Elko Co. where just the accumulation of water from all the storms in the last weeks caused a small reservoir to fail, and the dam was destroyed. However, just because there is no big river flooding up there does not mean some of the rain water flowing through gullys did not stir up some gold.

• Like 2

On 2/11/2017 at 6:57 PM, Rick Watkins said:

I see a lot of moisture went through nevada,anyone know if winnemucca area got any of these gullywashers up in that area. Hoping it may have stirred the ground a little up there also

Hi Rick

I've been watching on the news here in Oz about the Oroville dam spillway problem (hope they get it fixed in time). It might be worth a trip to California after it all settles down again because there having a big gully washer over there at the moment !

Cheers ozgold

• Like 1

Right now, its hard to get around in Northern California because of all the road closures and blockage for emergency road repairs.

Did a little prospecting in Calif. today, and got my first detected nugget of 2017. Rivers are high water and water is flowing down every little drainage. I saw a lot of little slides and places where erosion has done damage to the roadways.

There actually is some minor flooding in Nevada along the Humboldt river through Winnemucca from rain in Elko Co., but it wont affect prospecting much or expose any gold.

• Like 2

Good to see a real amount of water in the humboldt river drainage, man that area has needed it for sure.

On 2/11/2017 at 10:11 PM, mn90403 said:

Did Rye Patch Reservoir fill?

I've not been out that way, but with all the water flowing in the Humboldt, I am sure that by the end of spring it will be full. That will be good for the farmers in the Lovelock area.

In the past couple of days, I have seen drone videos of the Bruneau river running across Idaho highway 51, just south of Jordan Valley, Idaho, a main route south through McDermitt, Nevada, then on to Winnemucca.  I am not sure if the water there has receded yet, as much north-south commerce use that highway.  I probably have already posted this somewhere here recently, but hey, I'm getting old! 

As an aside, the last time I saw the Rye Patch reservoir full, I crossed the Humboldt River, which fills the Rye Patch Reservoir on what is called the Callahan Bridge, just west out of Imlay Nevada.  The high water at that time was pushing against the concrete bridge, and some water had already began to run across the road, it appeared.  The good news was, there was evidence that a road grader had created a small dirt berm to help keep the water from further damaging the approach to the bridge...  I was not to be denied, and gave my truck the gas, and me and my little rv trailer took the chance and successfully crossed the mighty Humboldt!

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Steve Herschbach
      Poured rain here all night in Reno. Supposedly 3-4 feet of snow up in the high country - we will see when the clouds lift!
      We are off to a mild start and I am still out detecting, though I have mostly shifted gears to coin and jewelry detecting. I hope to stay active detecting through the entire winter - if not through mild weather here then by driving to where it is milder.
      It is heading into summer in Oz. Soon it will be too cold here for detecting in northern areas. And soon it will be too hot to go detecting in parts of Australia!
      On the other hand temps are just right for the folks down in Arizona. There is always someplace gold is being found.
      How are those of you who are facing an “off season” planning on dealing with it?
    • By Chris Ben
      Made it out for half a day yester to an old patch. My buddy dave let me borrow his big coil for the GPZ and i wanted to give it a shot. Good news, i scored 3 nuggets with it, bad newsI have a 9 in metal plate in my hip that sounds off every time i moved the coil to my right. Almost impossible to hold the coil far enough away to avoid the signal. Put heavy strain on my back trying to do that. So I switched coils and tried bumping up the sensitivity to 18 ground normal. I managed to get a couple more pieces. 4.6 gram total. Big was 2.2.
      I had found out my girlfriends brother is a closet prospector lol. He watches all thr shows but has never found any color. So i lent him my GMT and taught him my dig, rake, detect technique and he got 7 pieces for about a gram and a half. We werent getting cell service where we were and he didn't want his wife to worry, so we packed in early at 1:30. I text my girlfriend we were on our way. She asked why so early, and i told her Jason got sick. She text back with concern asking if was the heat? I replied "hes got a bad case of gold fever" lol in which she replied that i am a dork. I guess i am. 
      Chris
    • By LuckyLundy
      Sure, it's a little early in the season for more than just a morning hunt in the High Desert!  I loaded up my truck with my gear added 4 blocks of ice and a case of frozen water bottles in my big cooler.  Many asked me, how long are you staying, when my ice melts or I melt is my normal reply!  Rudy, is game for any weather, as I was at his age, but now I'm looking for a shade tree to get me thru the hot part of the day...no luck in this area for a tree!  Rudy,  met me early to start the hunt where we left off with his 8 plus dwt'er and run of nuggets.  The ground is perfect to hunt for the deep nuggets and Rudy had 5 dinks before we moved to another Patch for a change of scenery!  And hour there with Sun beating what brains we had left, we decided to swing some new ground with no luck there.  So, we headed back where we started the morning.  I popped two dinks and I seen Rudy starting to dig a big wide and deep hole.  He told me it has to be trash?  I walked over and I could tell by the dirt and his screaming machine that it wasn't trash even though I tried to talk him into filling the hole up and don't waste his energy!  He is much to seasoned for that line.  I walked over and got the monster pick from my RZR and we started busting the shale to the target!  Finally, out of the hole and into Rudy's hands was a handsome 5.70 dwt nugget at 20".  This type of hunting takes time and we bust a bunch of holes chasing Threshold variations for a fat deep nugget.  A couple more days later, I still had plenty of ice, but no gas left in my tank!  Of course we ran into Ms Peg and a new buddy Brian from Reno...everyone had gold in their pokes!  Until the next hunt
      LuckyLundy

• Guest Jennifer
      By Guest Jennifer
      1 hour ago I took a little video (frame capture below), a dry lightening storm came through and my how things can change in less than an hour.
      Yay... no more scrub, break out the GPZ-19 
      Sorry, couldn't resist.
      Jen 

• Guest Jennifer
      By Guest Jennifer
      Ran into Winnemucca today for a grocery stockup and to get a second trailer tire patched (slow leak, blasted Jungo road).
      Noticed that Doc has diversified a bit...(grin)
      Jen

• By Mxt Sniper
      Just got back from 4 days at southern end of Rye Patch, whew, its getting hard to make finds there anymore. This nugget was covered in stone to start with and only gold peeking out one side of it, after the acid bath it weighs .55 gm. Found at 8" deep with gpx4500 and Evo 14x9, love that coil. Even found a #9 birdshot with it one morning. Another guy with us got a 1.13 grammer at 8" with his GPZ7000. That was it for our group.