Rick Watkins

Nevada Flooding

10 posts in this topic

I see a lot of moisture went through nevada,anyone know if winnemucca area got any of these gullywashers up in that area. Hoping it may have stirred the ground a little up there also.

Dont want to see any personal damage to the area but the ground needed a good cleansing in my opinion,springs a comin.         Rick

I've been watching the news and have not heard of anything that far east. There has been some flooding on the Carson River and locally around Reno, but the water has not been quite as high in this part of the country as it was in early January.

Thanks  chris ,theres still hope winters not over yet.  Hope to see you and steve this spring maybe.

I'm planning to take my trailer up to Imlay for April and May and explore all over up there.
The one flooding I did hear of to the east was in Elko Co. where just the accumulation of water from all the storms in the last weeks caused a small reservoir to fail, and the dam was destroyed. However, just because there is no big river flooding up there does not mean some of the rain water flowing through gullys did not stir up some gold.

2 people like this

On 2/11/2017 at 6:57 PM, Rick Watkins said:

I see a lot of moisture went through nevada,anyone know if winnemucca area got any of these gullywashers up in that area. Hoping it may have stirred the ground a little up there also

Hi Rick

I've been watching on the news here in Oz about the Oroville dam spillway problem (hope they get it fixed in time). It might be worth a trip to California after it all settles down again because there having a big gully washer over there at the moment !

Cheers ozgold

1 person likes this

Right now, its hard to get around in Northern California because of all the road closures and blockage for emergency road repairs.

Did a little prospecting in Calif. today, and got my first detected nugget of 2017. Rivers are high water and water is flowing down every little drainage. I saw a lot of little slides and places where erosion has done damage to the roadways.

There actually is some minor flooding in Nevada along the Humboldt river through Winnemucca from rain in Elko Co., but it wont affect prospecting much or expose any gold.

2 people like this

Good to see a real amount of water in the humboldt river drainage, man that area has needed it for sure.

On 2/11/2017 at 10:11 PM, mn90403 said:

Did Rye Patch Reservoir fill?

I've not been out that way, but with all the water flowing in the Humboldt, I am sure that by the end of spring it will be full. That will be good for the farmers in the Lovelock area.

In the past couple of days, I have seen drone videos of the Bruneau river running across Idaho highway 51, just south of Jordan Valley, Idaho, a main route south through McDermitt, Nevada, then on to Winnemucca.  I am not sure if the water there has receded yet, as much north-south commerce use that highway.  I probably have already posted this somewhere here recently, but hey, I'm getting old! 

As an aside, the last time I saw the Rye Patch reservoir full, I crossed the Humboldt River, which fills the Rye Patch Reservoir on what is called the Callahan Bridge, just west out of Imlay Nevada.  The high water at that time was pushing against the concrete bridge, and some water had already began to run across the road, it appeared.  The good news was, there was evidence that a road grader had created a small dirt berm to help keep the water from further damaging the approach to the bridge...  I was not to be denied, and gave my truck the gas, and me and my little rv trailer took the chance and successfully crossed the mighty Humboldt!

2 people like this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Steve Herschbach
      Some video posted in the last 30 days....

• By IdahoPeg
      ......you guys left a few for me! :-) 
      Was at Rye Patch and vicinity while the Nugget Shoot was going on; didn't participate in event, but met a lot of nice folks who were down for it and will next year for sure! Got some nice nuggets, several while wandering looking for new patches, but most at known areas.... that 7000 is an amazing machine! Unbelievable how it can still sniff out some gold in obviously pounded places! Here's some pics...had a great time: beauty of the high desert, comradarie of other prospectors who love the hobby as much as I, and the spiritual time of solitude....oh, and the AU! :-)

• By Jennifer
      ...is not what I want to hear, so I'm looking for input on the best (ie: most up to date, viewable witout a data/cell connection, provided you had one in the mornign to update etc) mapping app for Google Hemerroid or Apple IOS that I can use to make sure I'm not on anyone's claim when I hit Rye Patch next month.
      As a claim owner in BC, I'm very well versed on the BC systems etc and I hate claim jumpers, they should all be .... (well I'll leave it at that) so being even a foot inside anothers claim is unacceptable for me...
      Anyone need any hours for work reports done on a Rye Patch claim or can anyone recommend a good app, like footsteps etc... I don't mind paying, it'll be cheaper than pulling buckshot (buttshot) out of my butt I reckon. :) Maybe even showing the Reno area, maybe I'll go over and stalk Chris and Steve if they're into a day out.
      Thank's all.
      Jennifer
    • By Condor
      As you know from Lucky Lundy's post, I made it from Sunny Yuma to Sunny Rye Patch last week.  First and foremost I want to extend my profound thanks and gratitude to Lundy for not only sharing his Rye Patch knowledge but allowing me to detect a couple of his secret spots.  If you've ever hunted the Rye Patch you know there are miles and miles of unproductive ground and it has been hunted by thousands of detectors.  There is no particular rhyme or reason to where the gold is found, it's a matter of putting in the hours to find a small patch.  Lundy and friends have put in hundreds if not thousands of hours to find a few good spots.  I think he'd sooner share his wife than his secret patches.  Nevertheless, he was in a generous mood and I certainly appreciate the fellowship and opportunity to detect with a master.  His friend Rudy rounded out the threesome and he is a bull of a detectorist.  He doesn't know the word quit, detecting in the heat of the day with a wet t-shirt wrapped around his head, detecting after dark with a headlamp.  He makes the most of his detecting time and makes me look like a first rate slacker.
      Detecting Rye Patch is a lot different than the desert at home in Yuma.  Yuma is all about covering a lot of ground.  The nuggets for the most part a few and far between, so I normally cover 3 or 4 miles a day.  Rye Patch is all about finding a patch that's throwing small half gram minus nuggets, then slowing down and working the section to death from every angle.  The one patch that was most productive was maybe 150 yds long and 75 yds wide.  The were already bunches of dig holes but small nuggets were scattered next to old holes, in the sage brush and in one case on top of a chipmunk mound.  The first 2 days I was only finding the bigger sitting duck nuggets and missing the small, deep and very faint targets.  Lundy put me on a couple faint signals just to make sure I had the audio and settings correct to start finding them.  The answer for me was slowing way way down, overlapping each swing by at least half if not a third of the coil length.  Any threshold disturbance needed a scrape and in some cases 3 or 4 inches of scrape to bring the target up to a recognizable tone.  Tricky business especially when I already thought I knew how to detect low and slow.,  The best settings were Sens at 15, HY, Normal.  The insanely hot settings were not so good because it was producing too much noise to hear these faint threshold disturbances. 
      I stuck it out a couple more days after Lundy left and did some exploring.  Sawtooth sucked.  I met one other detectorist from Idaho out there.  Then Rabbit Hole where I found 2 nuggets in the old dozer pushes high up the hills.  Way too much trash in there for me.  I then explored another spot near Lundy's patch and found 4 more nuggets in a dozer push down in a long ravine.  6 days of temps in the high 80's and low 90's wore me down.  I was only detecting 3 or 4 hrs a day and hating life trying to find shade.  I Spent 1 whole afternoon in the shade trees at Rabbit Hole and thought it was heaven. 
      I forgot my scale, but as of Lundy's photo I had 8 DWT and found another estimated 4 grams.  So, I'm mid point between 1/4 oz and 1/2 oz of gold for 6 tough days.  Not bad and I would certainly do it again, especially in better weather. 
      I've got to send my Z in for replacement.  Battery clip broke off and my screen is practically unreadable.  Back to Sunny Yuma next week.  Sitting it out in Sacto for a few days.

• By alexGPX5000
      Hello!
      I plan a trip for Rye Patch at the beginning of April. It is the placer districts card round Rye Patch, somebody can recommend other places, except Rye Patch, for metal detecting? I will be very grateful for any useful information! Many thanks, Alex.
      Perhaps, somebody wants to join me???