Sign in to follow this  
Tnsharpshooter

Minelab Service Rep Seems Is Watching At Least Some Forums

Rick Kempf    248

Minelab - as far as I can determine - don't assemble their detectors.  They are built by a subcontractor in Malayasia  There is no pile of parts and sub-assemblies lying around in Australia or anywhere else.  This is a problem for them.  Quick repairs require that  commectors, mechanical and electronic parts, circuit boards are readily available at service centers.  For their modern machines, that seems to be a problem for them. This is a problem which is not easy, cheap or quick to fix. 

Glad to hear that they have realized that this is a problem which can and will impact brand loualty.  Hope they move fast and effectively.

• Like 1

strick    799

Another thing.. I read on another  forum that kellyco will put people ahead of the line on repairs if they pay a expedition fee. I don't know if that is true or not I'll try and find where I saw that...Looking at the Orville Dam news right now... Not good calling for evacuations down stream. 

strick

Tnsharpshooter    174

Thanks for the link Steve.

I wonder from a unit sales number standpoint worldwide,,,,how does the USA stack up here???

I would think we would be at or near the top.

Would have expected they would sure not have slighted the USA for repair support overall.

Steve Herschbach    7,843

The big picture is that Minelab benefitted immensely from the big African gold rush a few years back. The GPX 4500 could not be built fast enough to supply demand. Like all gold rushes the bubble popped, and Minelab sales plunged as a result. It is very hard for any company to deal with seriously declining revenues, and Minelab cut expenses everywhere they could. Service is often the first thing to suffer under those circumstances at any company. A smart company cuts deep and fast, but usually goes too far. Minelab did execute a significant turn around, and sales are once again climbing. Now there is some damage to repair also going forward.

This is all fairly public knowledge. Minelab is owned by Codan, a publicly traded company. Much can be learned reading Codan company reports. The U.S. is a very large market, but most growth is occurring elsewhere. Africa has actually been the big growth market as of late, which is why all the focus by companies to make detectors for the Africa market.

Here you think in terms of owning a detector for decades, and why won't they service that 20 year old detector. In Africa, they wore the darn thing out after a year, threw it away, and got another one!

• Like 2

Geotech    130
1 hour ago, Reno Chris said:

Tnsharpshooter - some problems occur with part availability. If your detector needs a new XYZ17 transistor, and the manufacturer stopped making them a year ago, the truth is that it can be near impossible to get additional obsolete parts like that. This situation affects all detector manufacturers.

This excuse is greatly overused by companies. Custom & semi-custom parts (keypad, display, etc) and sole-source parts, yes. But most electronic parts are either multi-sourced, or easily substituted with something close enough.

The actual reality is, most companies (and not just detector companies) don't repair at the component level, they repair at the board level. That is, they swap out a whole board. When a product is discontinued, they normally set aside a stock of replacement boards sufficient for x-years of repair. Once those boards are gone, no more repair.

• Like 1

Tnsharpshooter    174

I am aware of how expensive logistics,,,repair facilities,,,parts storage can be.

Learned a lot about this in AF.

I think detector manufacturers should be looking hard at designing their detectors for easier maintenance/repairs.

Consider modular design,,,and being such,,,imagine a detector owner could possibly exchange out their module with a module of off someone else's detector,,,,troubleshooting.

Could save loads of $$ and time with shipping and repairs.

Or if not the swapping,,,at least a manufacturer based on malfunction can get a replacement module out to customer.

Now saying this,,,is obviously easier than doing,,,detector strength,,looks,,feel,,and durability can't be compromised,,,weight too probably.

And must be user friendly with parts exchange-- not complicated.

Xp in a way enjoys this in a way with Deus.

Detector companies,,,,need to think lean and mean.

Steve Herschbach    7,843

They generally do think that way. First Texas for instance and Garrett certainly, just swap out a board and you are done. There is not much in a F75 or AT Pro.

This is an issue but honestly, I have owned a lot of detectors and they rarely fail.

Rick Kempf    248

Detector companies are cursed with customers who want to use their products for 20 years.  OK for L.L. Bean, but for electronic devices it's a problem. Like Carl said, once the supply of set aside replacement boards is gone, it's all over.

whites is famous for having rat-holed bits and pieces of detectors.  More than once I have been offered a repair on an obselete detector by ising a "servicable" used part.  I happily said OK, but frankly, that's not a very rational way to run a business.

Tnsharpshooter    174

I'm presuming for example all the detector electronics in F75 are in the head of detector.

If this is so,,,,wonder if the head could be screwed off by a user and replaced.

Even looking at non USB capable detectors,,,a firmware upgrade,,,,just buy the updated head.  Or just send in the head for upgrade.

I wonder for example,,,just how much shipping $$$ were spent on F75 units upgraded to DST,,,,and the MX Sport with its firmware updates and screen cracks??

Shipping entire detectors back and forth.

Granted MX sport being waterproof,,,an easily removable head might not be feasible.

But I think the point here is still a good one.

This would be a departure from the norm,,,but I think a manufacturer could benefit.

Where there is a will, there is a way.

A lot of this here,,,I could label as a CYA concept for a manufacturer.

Reno Chris    1,102
1 hour ago, Geotech said:

The actual reality is, most companies (and not just detector companies) don't repair at the component level,

I've had a single diode that went bad on a Minelab detector I owned replaced in the past. I agree with you that this is not the norm but it does happen.