Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tnsharpshooter

Minelab Service Rep Seems Is Watching At Least Some Forums

22 posts in this topic

Minelab - as far as I can determine - don't assemble their detectors.  They are built by a subcontractor in Malayasia  There is no pile of parts and sub-assemblies lying around in Australia or anywhere else.  This is a problem for them.  Quick repairs require that  commectors, mechanical and electronic parts, circuit boards are readily available at service centers.  For their modern machines, that seems to be a problem for them. This is a problem which is not easy, cheap or quick to fix. 

Glad to hear that they have realized that this is a problem which can and will impact brand loualty.  Hope they move fast and effectively.

1 person likes this

Another thing.. I read on another  forum that kellyco will put people ahead of the line on repairs if they pay a expedition fee. I don't know if that is true or not I'll try and find where I saw that...Looking at the Orville Dam news right now... Not good calling for evacuations down stream. 

strick

Thanks for the link Steve.

I wonder from a unit sales number standpoint worldwide,,,,how does the USA stack up here???

I would think we would be at or near the top.

Would have expected they would sure not have slighted the USA for repair support overall.

The big picture is that Minelab benefitted immensely from the big African gold rush a few years back. The GPX 4500 could not be built fast enough to supply demand. Like all gold rushes the bubble popped, and Minelab sales plunged as a result. It is very hard for any company to deal with seriously declining revenues, and Minelab cut expenses everywhere they could. Service is often the first thing to suffer under those circumstances at any company. A smart company cuts deep and fast, but usually goes too far. Minelab did execute a significant turn around, and sales are once again climbing. Now there is some damage to repair also going forward.

This is all fairly public knowledge. Minelab is owned by Codan, a publicly traded company. Much can be learned reading Codan company reports. The U.S. is a very large market, but most growth is occurring elsewhere. Africa has actually been the big growth market as of late, which is why all the focus by companies to make detectors for the Africa market.

Here you think in terms of owning a detector for decades, and why won't they service that 20 year old detector. In Africa, they wore the darn thing out after a year, threw it away, and got another one!

2 people like this

1 hour ago, Reno Chris said:

Tnsharpshooter - some problems occur with part availability. If your detector needs a new XYZ17 transistor, and the manufacturer stopped making them a year ago, the truth is that it can be near impossible to get additional obsolete parts like that. This situation affects all detector manufacturers.

This excuse is greatly overused by companies. Custom & semi-custom parts (keypad, display, etc) and sole-source parts, yes. But most electronic parts are either multi-sourced, or easily substituted with something close enough.

The actual reality is, most companies (and not just detector companies) don't repair at the component level, they repair at the board level. That is, they swap out a whole board. When a product is discontinued, they normally set aside a stock of replacement boards sufficient for x-years of repair. Once those boards are gone, no more repair.

1 person likes this

I am aware of how expensive logistics,,,repair facilities,,,parts storage can be.

Learned a lot about this in AF.

I think detector manufacturers should be looking hard at designing their detectors for easier maintenance/repairs.

Consider modular design,,,and being such,,,imagine a detector owner could possibly exchange out their module with a module of off someone else's detector,,,,troubleshooting.

Could save loads of $$ and time with shipping and repairs.

Or if not the swapping,,,at least a manufacturer based on malfunction can get a replacement module out to customer.

Now saying this,,,is obviously easier than doing,,,detector strength,,looks,,feel,,and durability can't be compromised,,,weight too probably.

And must be user friendly with parts exchange-- not complicated.

Xp in a way enjoys this in a way with Deus.

Detector companies,,,,need to think lean and mean.

They generally do think that way. First Texas for instance and Garrett certainly, just swap out a board and you are done. There is not much in a F75 or AT Pro.

This is an issue but honestly, I have owned a lot of detectors and they rarely fail.

Detector companies are cursed with customers who want to use their products for 20 years.  OK for L.L. Bean, but for electronic devices it's a problem. Like Carl said, once the supply of set aside replacement boards is gone, it's all over.

whites is famous for having rat-holed bits and pieces of detectors.  More than once I have been offered a repair on an obselete detector by ising a "servicable" used part.  I happily said OK, but frankly, that's not a very rational way to run a business.

I'm presuming for example all the detector electronics in F75 are in the head of detector.

If this is so,,,,wonder if the head could be screwed off by a user and replaced.

Even looking at non USB capable detectors,,,a firmware upgrade,,,,just buy the updated head.  Or just send in the head for upgrade.

I wonder for example,,,just how much shipping $$$ were spent on F75 units upgraded to DST,,,,and the MX Sport with its firmware updates and screen cracks??

Shipping entire detectors back and forth.

Granted MX sport being waterproof,,,an easily removable head might not be feasible.

But I think the point here is still a good one.

This would be a departure from the norm,,,but I think a manufacturer could benefit.

Where there is a will, there is a way.

A lot of this here,,,I could label as a CYA concept for a manufacturer.

1 hour ago, Geotech said:

The actual reality is, most companies (and not just detector companies) don't repair at the component level,

I've had a single diode that went bad on a Minelab detector I owned replaced in the past. I agree with you that this is not the norm but it does happen.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• By Reno Chris
      Jerry Keene of Keene Engineering has passed away. The ICMJ got a note from the family:

Dear Friends, Family and Valued Customers.
      It is with deep regret and sorrow, that we inform you that Jerry Keene has passed away due to congestive heart failure.
      On Friday morning, July 14th. He was preparing for work as usual when he experience a shortness of breath and all of a sudden, had a heart attack. His wife, and daughter tried to revive him but, he was already peacefully gone.
      He did not suffer and he did not have pain. Jerry was at home doing his normal routine and passed the best way possible.
      Jerry Keene was a great man, husband and father. He enriched every person he touched and was very well respected by all.
      Jerry worked with his two sons Mark and Patrick every day and adored being part of their lives. Being with them each day at the company was one of his greatest joys in life.
      Jerry Keene was a wonderful man and touched everybody with his kindness. His last days, he was feeling great and was excited about building a new home to make his life easier for him and his wife, Che’ and daughter, Mell, who took great care of him. It goes without saying that he will be deeply missed by his entire family, vast number of beloved friends, as will the thousands he had touched throughout his life.
      He is and will always be, “The great innovator of the Modern Day Gold Rush”. We will all miss you very much.
      The Keene Family
    • By Steve Herschbach
      Discover Magazine

Some of you might remember a publication called "Discover" that White's Electronics used to publish. It featured customer finds, treasure stories, and all-around good info on metal detecting. Back in the 90's we stopped making it, much to the disappointment of some of our long-time customers.
      Well... we realized missed it too! So we're proud to announce the re-introduction of Discover magazine. As a part of our mailing list you have exclusive access to a free digital copy, which you can read online, print out, and share as you see fit. Get your free copy here. We'll try and send one out every 2 months.
      Thanks for supporting an American brand, and know that we will always have your back as a valued customer. This publication is just one small thing we can do to show our appreciation!
      Discover Magazine July/August 2017
      Discover Magazine May/June 2017
      Discover Magazine March/April 2017
      Discover Magazine January/February 2017

Sincerely,
      White's Electronics
    • By Steve Herschbach
      Do you use a Fisher metal detector and want a chance to win a new Fisher metal detector? We give away a free metal detector every month! All you have to do for a chance to win one is be featured in our Find of the Day contest.  Here's how it works.

Send Fisher a direct message at our Facebook page www.facebook.com/FisherResearchLabs. with the following information:

1. Picture of the find, preferably with your detector in it too. The better the picture the better chance it will be selected and featured as a Find of the Day.

2. Tells us what it is. We have to know what your find is in order to feature it. (The more information you can provide the better. Country of origin, time era, what it’s made of gold, silver, brass, etc. Any information you have will help)

3. Tell us what detector you were using (Sorry, but it must be a Fisher model)

4. Tell us what country it was found in.

Featured Find of the Day posts are not selected by how impressive the find is, as we believe all finds are impressive in their own way. This way a handful of clad coins can be selected one day and a Roman brooch or a Civil War belt plate could be selected the next day.

If your find is posted on our Facebook page you are automatically entered in a random at the end of the month and one lucky winner will win a brand new metal detector! 

Good luck!

Steve Herschbach with 4.95 ounce gold nugget found with Fisher Gold Bug 2 (14" coil) at Ganes Creek, Alaska
    • By Steve Herschbach
      Just a reminder. Minelab offers a 15% discount on any Minelab metal detector from the MAP (minimum advertised price) to active or honorably discharged members of the military. Proof of past or active service is required and must be verified by providing a copy of a DD 214 or Military ID to qualify. The discount applies only to a metal detector purchase - parts and accessories do not qualify.
      With discount the $799 Gold Monster 1000 is only $679.15. The Minelab GPZ 7000, normally $7999, ends up being $6799.15, a savings of $1199.85
    • By Steve Herschbach
      For those that do not know vanursepaul is in Australia for a nearly three month long adventure, with gold prospecting at the top of the list. Imagine his distress when he arrived in Australia and the control box portion of his new Minelab GPZ 7000 was missing from his luggage!!! This on top of just having his previous GPZ 7000 stolen over the winter.
      The solution to this serious problem is buried deep in another thread but I thought it should not go missed by people not following that thead, so here is a copy of Paul's post today at http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/3724-nurse-paul-in-oz/?page=6#comment-41276....

• By Rick Kempf
      Steve has been in the forefront of calling for lightweight PI detectors with decent depth and perhaps even - up to now mostly unavailable - discrimination.
      Maybe there is one more "pulse" in that direction now.  First Texas has hired Alexandre Tatar - a French Physicist and electronics designer.  Alexandre is an avid detectorist of long standing who has began years ago to study and develop PI detectors.  He brought one such platform to prototype stage, but after having earlier failed to make a commercial launch of an original design, he has apparently been head-hunted by First Texas.
      here's a google translate version of a document he posted a while back on the "Manta" website.
      https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4kCFdZrzI4kdXU1aTQzdjBqNUk
      who knowa if this can go beyond slimming down and improving exsisting platforms - time will tell.
      Here's what Carl Moreland of FT posted about it on another website
      "Yes, we've hired Alexandre. Yes, we are working on PI. I was personally working on PI before hiring Alexandre, but now we are seriouslyworking on PI.  Sorry, cain't say much more about that, and cain't offer up any ETA's, mostly cause I don't know myself."