Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tnsharpshooter

Minelab Service Rep Seems Is Watching At Least Some Forums

22 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Rick Kempf said:

Detector companies are cursed with customers who want to use their products for 20 years. 

The customers are not to blame. The reason this doesn't happen as much in other tech industries is because they innovate more, create new products that make the old products obsolete more often, and as a result have a customer base that is always looking forward to buying a new model and getting rid of the old one, not repairing it.

Also, the detector industry doesn't really decrease the prices on their older models by much unless they are about ready to retire them. There are still detectors from the 90's, 25 years old, selling for the same price or more as when they were released, and still competitive with new releases today performance-wise. In the computer world you can get 1-2 year old stuff for huge discounts, so people with 5 year old stuff have a big motivation to upgrade and stay relatively current. Something older than 10 years is often worthless.

I still use the same 2 detectors I started with 10 years ago. Just no reason to upgrade because no company is giving me one. Give me a reason (price and performance) and I'll never look back. Granted, the detector market is smaller than say computers or phones. But it's not as small as some people think either, it's big enough to support innovation, Minelab is a prime example.

3 people like this

One would think that the cost of the top of the line nugget detector being over $10,000.00 (GPZ with both coils) would encourage some viable competition. That would in turn would force Minelab to improve build quality and customer service (or claim 50% more depth*). But I haven't even heard any rumors of a competitive detector.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• By Tnsharpshooter
      For their looking out for folks with problems.
      https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?p=2784032#post2784032

• By tboykin
      Something I've been thinking about is "growing the hobby." It's kind of a tricky thing.
      For detector manufacturers to survive, there is a need to expand the reach and interest in metal detecting as a hobby. But, the catch 21 is that there are less and less relics and old coins to dig each year. The more people get into detecting, the less old stuff we find. And the finds are what get people into detecting in my experience. It's a lot harder to get excited about finding 37 cents at a park than it is to find a trime or a colonial buckle.
      In talking to old timers, the "good ole days" seemed to be the 70's, 80's and early 90's - when silver was easier to find and every site wasn't pounded to death. That's why making detectors that out-perform current machines is so important. A deeper, better discriminating machine can breathe new life into old spots, which is what most manufacturers should be working on.
      What do you think about introducing the hobby to new generations? Would you prefer it stay an "old guy hobby," or would you like to see the younger crowd pick up where you leave off? How do we deal with the fact that each day, there is less treasure (including nuggets) to find?
    • By Steve Herschbach
      This is just me following a random coffee inspired thought. It sure seems to me there is a disconnect between what customers expect by way of communications from Minelab and what Minelab perhaps thinks they are delivering by way of customer communications. The current example of course being the Gold Monster 1000 and customer and even dealer questions about what's up with the where and when.
      Minelab overall probably thinks they do a pretty good job with communications. Lots of customers and dealers probably feel otherwise. Where is the disconnect?
      Having rubbed shoulders with some Minelab folks for awhile I can offer this. They are a very engineering driven company. Literally a whole bunch of engineers, all engineering away doing engineer things. And truthfully, just a generally nice bunch of people, fascinating to chat with. Most of you would really enjoy having the opportunity to meet and talk with them, and I am quite lucky in that regard.
      There is this however. How many of you know engineers? Have you spent a lot of time talking to engineers? They are not really famous for communication skills. They might think they are communicating, but they are speaking a different language. Their brains are often wired differently than "regular folks". Yeah, it is a cliche, but cliches are often based on a certain reality.
      Think of Minelab as a large box full of engineers. Maybe really nice engineers, but engineers nonetheless. Then you might understand the communication thing.
      It is not just Minelab either. Minelab comes off as Suzy Socialite compared to Tesoro for instance. The industry as a whole has been remarkably slow at embracing the internet for what are after all technology companies. Garrett probably has it figured out the most but even they have been weirdly silent on the AT Max since the initial intro blurb - no other sign of it on the website yet.
      If this all seems far fetched consider this. I just Googled engineer communication skills and got 42,900,000 results! I love this quote from this article "According to Weisman, engineers take a 67% risk of damaging important relationships with people every time they speak." There are some good tips in that article for the companies.

• By jjm861
      I will start be saying is has been a pretty good year already with the release of several detectors.  With out sounding too impatient, I would love to see Fisher release a new muti-frequency or PI type detector soon.  What are your thoughts of this happening with the next couple of months?? 
    • By Ridge Runner
      I woke up this morning hearing bells ringing and birds singing but no New Garrett Detector. This month of May is going to be exciting with all the new toys coming out.
      I guess we need to just sit back and wait. My trouble is that's one thing I'm not good at.
      Chuck
    • By Steve Herschbach
      Discover Magazine

Some of you might remember a publication called "Discover" that White's Electronics used to publish. It featured customer finds, treasure stories, and all-around good info on metal detecting. Back in the 90's we stopped making it, much to the disappointment of some of our long-time customers.
      Well... we realized missed it too! So we're proud to announce the re-introduction of Discover magazine. As a part of our mailing list you have exclusive access to a free digital copy, which you can read online, print out, and share as you see fit. Get your free copy here. We'll try and send one out every 2 months.
      Thanks for supporting an American brand, and know that we will always have your back as a valued customer. This publication is just one small thing we can do to show our appreciation!
      Discover Magazine May/June 2017
      Discover Magazine March/April 2017
      Discover Magazine January/February 2017

Sincerely,
      White's Electronics