Sign in to follow this  
Tnsharpshooter

Minelab Service Rep Seems Is Watching At Least Some Forums

2 hours ago, Rick Kempf said:

Detector companies are cursed with customers who want to use their products for 20 years. 

The customers are not to blame. The reason this doesn't happen as much in other tech industries is because they innovate more, create new products that make the old products obsolete more often, and as a result have a customer base that is always looking forward to buying a new model and getting rid of the old one, not repairing it.

Also, the detector industry doesn't really decrease the prices on their older models by much unless they are about ready to retire them. There are still detectors from the 90's, 25 years old, selling for the same price or more as when they were released, and still competitive with new releases today performance-wise. In the computer world you can get 1-2 year old stuff for huge discounts, so people with 5 year old stuff have a big motivation to upgrade and stay relatively current. Something older than 10 years is often worthless.

I still use the same 2 detectors I started with 10 years ago. Just no reason to upgrade because no company is giving me one. Give me a reason (price and performance) and I'll never look back. Granted, the detector market is smaller than say computers or phones. But it's not as small as some people think either, it's big enough to support innovation, Minelab is a prime example.

• Like 3

One would think that the cost of the top of the line nugget detector being over $10,000.00 (GPZ with both coils) would encourage some viable competition. That would in turn would force Minelab to improve build quality and customer service (or claim 50% more depth*). But I haven't even heard any rumors of a competitive detector.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Steve Herschbach
      Just a reminder. Minelab USA offers a 15% discount on any Minelab metal detector from the MAP (minimum advertised price) to U.S. active or honorably discharged members of the military. Proof of past or active service is required and must be verified by providing a copy of a DD 214 or Military ID to qualify. The discount applies only to a metal detector purchase - parts and accessories do not qualify.
      With discount the $899 Equinox 800 is only $764.15. The Minelab GPZ 7000, normally $7999, ends up being $6799.15, a savings of $1199.85 
    • By Brian Berkhahn
      All this week get 10% off any mining gear in stock.
    • By Steve Herschbach
      I authorized Minelab to publish an edited version of a couple forum posts I made that may not make other manufacturers very happy. In a nutshell I say that with the Equinox 600 feature list and $649 price tag, why would anyone pay more than $600 for any run of the mill single frequency detector, no matter how good? Assuming the Equinox performs of course, which I am extremely sure is not an issue 
      Some people may take issue with that but it is honestly how I feel about it, so check it out at https://www.minelab.com/go-minelabbing/treasure-talk/minelab-equinox-unprecedented-anticipation
      And got a plug in for the new forum!!

• By Swegin
      Anyone know of any dealers who may be having a sale over the Holiday weekend?   

• By auminesweeper
      I just got this In an Email and I am very shocked because Jimmy has been working with Whites for so long and he was one of the Major Guiding Lights behind The GMT and The MXT, all I can say is I am sorry to see this happen.
      http://metaldetectorhelp.com/
      Bless You Jimmy, you always gave us the Time of Day.
      john