Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tnsharpshooter

Minelab Service Rep Seems Is Watching At Least Some Forums

21 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Rick Kempf said:

Detector companies are cursed with customers who want to use their products for 20 years. 

The customers are not to blame. The reason this doesn't happen as much in other tech industries is because they innovate more, create new products that make the old products obsolete more often, and as a result have a customer base that is always looking forward to buying a new model and getting rid of the old one, not repairing it.

Also, the detector industry doesn't really decrease the prices on their older models by much unless they are about ready to retire them. There are still detectors from the 90's, 25 years old, selling for the same price or more as when they were released, and still competitive with new releases today performance-wise. In the computer world you can get 1-2 year old stuff for huge discounts, so people with 5 year old stuff have a big motivation to upgrade and stay relatively current. Something older than 10 years is often worthless.

I still use the same 2 detectors I started with 10 years ago. Just no reason to upgrade because no company is giving me one. Give me a reason (price and performance) and I'll never look back. Granted, the detector market is smaller than say computers or phones. But it's not as small as some people think either, it's big enough to support innovation, Minelab is a prime example.

3 people like this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• By devilpookie
      Is it legit?
      From Farcebook:

Monster 1000 Gold.
      The machine is currently know:
      - ease of use
      Quick and easy installation
      Fully Automatic-operation
      - working principle: V LF (extra sensitive)
      - 2 factory rolls in the bag

• By Steve Herschbach
      Back in November there was interest stirred up by reports of a dedicated gold nugget detector being made for XP for sale in Africa - the Depar DPR 600.
      Details were confirmed later by GaryUK who is tied in with XP and has tested the unit (and stars in the video below). The main news he related was that XP intends to market a version of this dedicated nugget detector outside Africa in 2017.
      The machine will be a very limited version of the upcoming DEUS V4 update. In fact I think the testing of this unit in Africa was key to the development of the V4 update. The new machine will come stock with the V4 high frequency coil and looks a lot like a DEUS. However, the software will be locked into several versions of the Goldfield program and will not have any functions needed for anything except nugget detecting. Final features may vary in the final US/UK version but here is what Gary says about the DPR 600: The DPR has no pinpoint mode, no expert menu, no multi-tone, no notch, no coin mode, no non-motion menu, no user updates (USB download will only support bug corrections). The current DPR version has no wireless headphone support, no headphone controller, does not support the DEUS coil with lower frequencies (only works with the two HF coils) and only supports 3 high frequencies, not 4. The DPR has a 2 year warranty the Deus has a 5 year warranty.
      These details were gleaned from Garys post on his forum but it may not be visible to people who are not forum members as I am currently. Andy Sabisch has also confirmed the existence of this new model planned for 2017 at Findmall. 
      The bottom line is this machine will resemble a DEUS and will have a very limited feature set focused on nugget detecting, but at a lower price. No idea on price or availability for as we all know the V4 update is running late. There is nothing here per se for current DEUS owners because the V4 update will give a DEUS owners all the features of the new machine plus tons more. But for somebody looking for a very light weight nugget detector this new machine may very well offer an upgrade over existing single frequency models. I have always thought the DEUS was overpriced for people who just want to nugget detect, although it does have the capability. A dedicated nugget detector at a price more in line with what you expect of other VLF nugget detectors could be a very good move for XP in my opinion.

• By Nokta Detectors
      Hello Dear Valued Members.

We are proud to announce that Nokta &Makro Detectors has been certified as a Research & Development Center by the Turkish Ministry of Science, Industry and Technology in Turkey.
      On behalf of my team and company, I want to thank all who have supported our company to grow at a fast pace and to develop new technologies and products. 
      We owe where we are today to our valued customers!

Best Regards,

Dilek 
    • By Steve Herschbach
      The Ultimate Throwback Thursday
      Discover Magazine   Some of you might remember a publication called "Discover" that White's Electronics used to publish. It featured customer finds, treasure stories, and all-around good info on metal detecting. Back in the 90's we stopped making it, much to the disappointment of some of our long-time customers.

Well... we realized missed it too! So we're proud to announce the re-introduction of Discover magazine. As a part of our mailing list you have exclusive access to a free digital copy, which you can read online, print out, and share as you see fit. Get your January/February copy here. We'll try and send one out every 2 months.

Thanks for supporting an American brand, and know that we will always have your back as a valued customer. This publication is just one small thing we can do to show our appreciation!

Sincerely,

White's Electronics

P.S. - We plan to hide a clue in each issue. First 100 folks to find it and mail us an envelope with the answer will get a free prize. Think you can you find it? Good luck and happy hunting!

• By Steve Herschbach
      Just in case you were wondering - from http://www.codan.com.au/Portals/0/investorpubs/Half Year Company Announcement Feb 2015 Final complete.pdf in 2015:
      "Minelab launched the GPZ 7000 gold detector to the market in February. This is a significant new product platform that has taken five years to develop at a cost of over $10 million."
      The good news for Minelab is it has paid off as sales and profits for Codan have been up in the last few years after collapsing when the Africa GPX 4500 bubble popped. From the Codan 2016 Annual Report "while sales were strong in the developed world when the product was released last year, the most significant growth in our FY16 gold detector sales has come from the successful launch of this product into our African markets. The GPZ 7000® was launched in Africa in October 2015, and demand exceeded our initial expectations".
      Since Minelab's parent company Codan is publicly traded interesting tidbits can be found in their annual reports. A few more:
      "The GO-FIND® is now Minelab’s highest unit seller"
      "FY17 OBJECTIVES - Release two exciting new products – lower-priced gold machine for Africa and improved larger coil for GPZ 7000®.... Continue investment in product development to create next wave of new products in FY18."
      Nobody knows for sure how many metal detectors are sold worldwide but Codan alone currently does close to $100 million sales annually in detecting equipment. That does however include landmine detection equipment. Check out pages 19 and 20 of the 2016 report for more details.
    • By Shelton
      Ok Steve you really know something about new machines at 2017 ;) I was hear about new AT PRO 2 from Garrett but what more?