Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kiwijw

7 Tiddlers For The Zed 1 For The Bug 2

11 posts in this topic

Hi there Idahogold & Andyy, Thanks guys for dropping in & for your comments. Appreciated.

Ig, -11c Hopefully we are still several months away from those kind of temps. Going by the amount of snow up in the hills yesterday morning for this time of the year, supposed to be our summer, maybe winter is coming early. The dredgers are complaining about the cold water & higher than normal river levels for this time of the year due to unseasonable snow melt. Global warming aye :rolleyes:..... Cheers

JW :smile:

Please don't talk about an early winter JW.  We are heading to NZ for 3 weeks late March.  The old girl is crapping herself that it's going to be a little chilly for her. The rest of us don't care :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Hi there Northeast, I thought you guys would be glad for some cooler weather. The thing with the cool is you can dress for it but you cant dress for that heat you guys get. Dont know how you detect in those temps. We had 24 C today, just perfect & it was a gorgeous day. That snow has all but gone. If you are heading to Queenstown look me up.

JW :smile: 

Evening JW. 

Queenstown is certainly on the list. Any particular things that you reckon are 'unmissable' in your part of the world I would be happy to hear them.  Local knowledge can very handy sometimes :wink:

As far as the heat goes, I am usually out at day break and home by about 10 on a Saturday morning. Kids are ready to do something by then and the lady wakes up to a hot coffee :rolleyes:.  And I'm in Victoria so we (usually) don't get the humidity that the north gets. Lived in the NT for 2 years though - we all loved the wet season.  

Cheers, N.E.  

Hey Northeast, when my wife and I hit the south island, about 10 years ago, we hit the glow worm caves and the Shotover jet.  New Zealand is gorgeous, which helps you forget you're driving on the wrong side of the road and dodging possum every 6 feet   :)

1 person likes this

Hi there Northeast, Thats a tough one. Bit like, How long is a piece of string. There are of course all the touristy things you can do which are endless & cost $$$$$ or there are the back high country off the beaten track type of stuff. Like old gold mining ghost towns & related type stuff. It depends what you are into & what floats your boat. How long are you in QT for? Just goggle What to do in Queenstown NZ. 

The chap I took out last saturday was from Victoria.

G'day Andyy, Which glow worm caves did you go to. Waitomo in the north island are by far the best. http://www.waitomo.com/#section1 Te Anau, which is the lake next to the lake here in Queenstown Lake Wakatipu, does have glow worm caves but they arent a patch on the ones up north.https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=te+anau+glow+worm+caves&rlz=1C1GGGE_en-GBNZ551NZ559&espv=2&biw=1920&bih=950&tbm=isch&imgil=NV6scqjft6CHUM%3A%3BHEG_r3dcytsfaM%3Bhttps%253A%252F%252Fwww.tripadvisor.co.uk%252FLocationPhotoDirectLink-g255124-d523691-i175795408-Te_Anau_Glowworm_Caves-Te_Anau_Fiordland_National_Park_Southland_Region_S.html&source=iu&pf=m&fir=NV6scqjft6CHUM%3A%2CHEG_r3dcytsfaM%2C_&usg=__wzyW-W5OQeWjv-aHfk-GnjbvAGk%3D&ved=0ahUKEwjJ6eWZ2JbSAhWMS7wKHX3-DcsQyjcIswE&ei=D7GmWImmGYyX8QX9_LfYDA#imgrc=NV6scqjft6CHUM:  What did you think of the Shotover Jet? 

You do need to be very careful to stick to the left side of the road in NZ when driving, Which is the left side of the road here & in Aussie. We have had two deaths this week alone due to tourists wondering on to the wrong side of the road & causing head ons. One death was an Australian women & it was just down the road from where I live. It is actually a very bad & serious problem & happens all too often. It is usually the innocent that end up getting killed, as in the Australian women. It is not uncommon to be going down the highway at 100 to 120 k's an hour, drive around a bend in the road & there be a tourist stopped in the middle of the road taking a photo. I kid you not. Not even pulled over to the side of the road. IDIOTS. Dont get me started....

As to the possums. You can blame our Aussie neighbors. Thats where they came from, & the wallabies. Do you think we can get rid of them......Not a hope.

Good luck out there

JW :smile:

1 person likes this

Yeah JW.  I think I did get mixed up.  It was Waitomo.  And I proposed to my wife at Lake Tekapo.  We'll make it back again someday.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• By kiwijw
      Hi guys, Saturday I headed back to Doug's Gully, but this time I did not forget the WM12. I was all rigged up & detecting by 10am. I headed straight to a spot where I had found a little patch with the 4500 about 3 years ago. It was up out of the gully bottom but further prospecting the slope to the top of the spur revealed nothing more outside of the localized wee patch. It was at the head of the gully & I went straight to the spot where I got my first piece there on this wee patch. My back filled hole was still visible. BANG....a faint signal straight off. Probably just a shotty pellet.

Notice the old back filled hole beside the coil. A few scrapes & the signal had moved. Bugger.....was not going to be a bigger deep piece of gold.

But gold it was.  

With in 10 minutes I repeated the same process 2 more times with the Zed. All small shallow gold.

I then thought I had better grab the Bug 2 & go back over these shallow digs & there scrape out piles before back filling & moving on. Well......

The Zed does pretty well on small gold & the Bug 2 just finishes things off. A great combination.

I moved on with the Zed back down in the gully floor & got a faint wee signal. Another small bit of gold

Then right in the gully bottom another very faint signal. I scraped away a few inches & the signal was still in the ground & getting better

I got down to over two feet & the signal was still in the ground & sounding good. I was having trouble pin pointing exactly where the target was so I wondered back to where I had left the Bug 2. My pin  pointer & discriminator. No signal. Deeper down yet.   Then the Bug got a signal. Flick in to discriminate. BUGGER...wasn't going to be gold. Down almost to the control box of the bug

Then the target was out. Now I put these old workings down to the mid to late 1860's. 

An old pocket knife

A bit worse for the amount of time it had been buried. Looks like a bone or ivory or deer antler handle. Quite a cool find none the less. Makes you think of who's it was, what nationality, how well he was doing on the gold. But to think I am the first person to handle it since he lost it. Also makes me think of the amount of ground that was dug down, turned over & all by hand pick & shovel.

Then a very similar thing happened. Another deepish hole.

Out with the bug & again it wasn't going to be gold. Damn. But as I do I still dig to get rid of the junk just in case it is masking a gold signal.

Can you see it??

Not sure what it was but it was still very firm in the ground. I didn't bother getting it out. Back filled & moved on.

I kept on going down the gully bottom & I detected up on the top of a sarson stone & got a very faint signal. I scraped away & there was a flat piece of schist sitting on top of the sarson stone. I ended up removing the schist stone & the signal was still there

Bingo....a sassy bit of gold

Re scanning & another faint signal & another small bit of gold

I went back to my last deep hole & got the Bug 2, as I had left it beside the back filled hole. I thought I may as well try the bug 2 on this last little dig. Well bugger me.....4 more little bits of gold from the dig out dirt.

Then nothing for ages. Just on 10 pm & an awesome sunset happening

I got a faint signal. A little quartz specimen piece.

Not 3 feet away another small bit. As there was a half moon I detected until after midnight but got nothing more on the gold front. Still had a 2.5 hour drive home. The things we do.

So all up 17 pieces of small gold for just 1.21 grams    What a long day & many miles of walking.

The old pocket knife

The thing I am noticing on my old haunts is that the GP 3000 & the 4500 have done a good job of getting the bigger deeper bits of gold & there doesn't seem to be any deeper bigger bits for the Zed but the zed is pinging the smaller slightly deeper bits.

Cheers guys.   

Good luck out there

JW  
    • By kiwijw
      Hi Guys. Took the Zed for a late afternoon walk back to one of my well flogged patches. Took my spare pick after breaking my good old faithful Walco pick last time I was out. I continued on from where I left off the previous time. The ground was a little bit lively as we had a heavy down pour of rain during the previous night. The Zed was a bit more touchy but after several ground balances over the ferrite & a few auto tunes I got it to a manageable steady threshold with out having to change any of the other settings. 5 minutes in to it & my first very faint little signal.

Couple of scrapes & it was out.

Ten feet away & more of a hunch that there was a signal & not very convincing at that. Gave it a few scrapes & it improved very slightly but was now sounding like a very faint signal. So I scraped on down until I hit the schist bed rock. Which wasnt far down. You will just make it out in the pic

Signal had really improved now so I scraped out two crevices that had opened out in the hole.

I had brought a screwdriver today to scrape out just such crevices....& bingo. A sassy bit of gold

Before I back filled the dig I scanned the hole & the dug out dirt pile. Another wee signal down in the crevice.

Another little bit of gold

Again I scanned the dig out pile & the fainest of signals & another tiny bit of gold

I stopped for a bite to eat & a coffee before carrying on. Had a bit of a dry spell for a while before another very faint little signal. Again....down in the schist bed rock

Tiny gold it was

This a pic looking down slope of the exposed schist bed rock tilted up on edge.

And this is looking up hill to the dig of the last wee piece of gold

This is a surfaced area from the old timers. That little shallow gutter running up to the left produced many bits of gold for the GP 3000, the 4500 & now for the Zed

Just to the right of that green bush (briar rose) is an old small throw out pile from the old timers & is where I got the next three tiny bits of gold from.

I called it quits at that & had got 8 bits for a grand total of 1.34 grams   Smallest was .04 of a gram & the biggest was two at .31 of a gram.

Cheers  

Good luck out there

JW  
      kiwijw  
    • By kiwijw
      Hi guys, After working on my schist columns all day, & Mrs JW had a wedding to video, I buggered off at about 5pm & headed back to where I got those last 8 little bits. I planned on going a bit further over  from where I had been going the last couple of times. Still, the spot I chose was an area where I had done well with the GP 3000 & 4500 but was no longer getting gold there with the 4500. I dont think though that I had used the Elite coils here. Any way......I parked up & walked to the spot. Got rigged up & hit an area of semi exposed bed rock schist that the old timers had surface washed. Not even a minute in to it & I had a soft faint signel. Scraped about 1.5 inches off it & that lifted the signal

So I laid in to the dig with a bit more effort. Next minute.

Oh no....you b**tard. Shite bugger damn. Those last few times that I had been smashing into that solid schist to get a few signals out had taken there toll on my pick. I knew I felt the pain for my pick at the time. Didnt I say so. What do I do??? Pack up & come back later with another pick?? Maybe I will just keep detecting & mark spots where I get a signal & then come back & dig them. I picked up the head of the pick & had a go at scraping & digging as best I could.

So...scrape scrape dig dig...wasnt too bad actually. Down in to the schist bed rock which was actually quite rotten & soft & broke out easily

Ye Ha.    A nice little bit of the good stuff.

Not five feet away, another very faint signal...I think. Some times you just think you here a slight hiccup in the threshold or just a hunch that it was a signal as it isnt all ways there with each sweep of the coil. I gave it a few scrapes any way.

The hint of a signal improved so I kept on going down in to the schist bed rock. Into a few crevices

A small bit of gold

And again

Another small bit

This just kept on happening & no crap signals. All gold. Have detected here so often that there is no crap targets left. Bonus now.

Look at the depth. I was lucky that this schist was rotten & soft & peeled away easily

Nice piece

Deep in to another schist crevice

Loving the no crap tagets. Just GOLD

The signals just kept on coming

Thought I saw a bit of rusty crap come out of this hole, as it was a loud sharp signal as well

But no  

Actually got two bits out of that dig

Down in to a deep schist crevice

Time out & a look at the finds so far

In to the schist bed rock again

The hand was getting a bit sore as some of these digs were quite deep

And getting deeper

But still the gold was coming & all off thrashed ground. Loving the Zed.

Two bits from this hole

Well it was time to head out & back to the wagon.

All up 13 bits for 5.33 grams. Sure beat the other days 57 bits for 4.55 grams

The Zed just keeps on blowing me away. What a machine.

Thanks guys.

Best of luck to you out there

JW  
      kiwijw  
    • By kiwijw
      Hi guys, A few days ago I went back to the spot where I had got 6 little bits of gold for .88 of a gram on my 2nd to last days detecting of 2016. It was an area I hadnt been to prior for about 18 months as I was no longer getting gold from it until I hit it with the Zed. So roll on 2017 & my first days detect.
      I got there & rigged up. It took about half an hour before I got my first very faint signal.

It was down a bit into the solid schist that I had to smash out to get down in to the folds of the turned up on edge schist. Such a great gold trap.

Gold it was

Moved on & another very faint signal

Again down in to the folds of the schist & in to a crevice

Small bit of gold

Then in to another schist crevice

A tiny piece .04 of a gram  

Before I back filled the dig I scanned the hole, as I always do, & another signal. This time at the back of the hole

Another small bit of gold

Another faint signal. This time it was just in the gravel wash

Slightly bigger. But not by much

Then a signal right on top of bare schist bed rock. Must be down in it a bit.

Bloody hell......here we go again. Smashing in to the hard schist. Not breaking apart as easily as the others & not opening up in to a crevice. Oh my poor pick.

Took a while to get it out & luckily it wasnt too deep

.03 of a gram

Down in to the bed rock schist again

Wee bit bigger. Almost a half grammer.

I stopped for a coffee & a bite to eat & took a pic of the total so far

It was damn hot & I felt like packing it in but I had my coffee & wondered on down to another area of exposed bed rock.
      Got a slight hint of a break in the threshold. Backed up & scraped in to the up on edge schist.

This one was getting down deep & giving me a hard time at getting it out

Broke out the tweezers & coffee spoon to get in to that tight crevice that my pick point just couldnt get in to. Too worn down. Note in the foreground the up on edge fingers of schist bed rock. Mighty fine gold traps those.  

Finally got it out

That was it. I was buggered after that one. So all up of absolutely flogged ground that even the GB2 & GMT weren't scoring any thing. I got another 8 bits of gold for 1.72 grams

So off to a positive start with the Zed for 2017. YE HA      

Cheers all & best of luck out there for 2017  

JW    
    • By kiwijw
      Hi Guys, I made the plunge & got myself Minelabs latest flag ship. The mighty Zed 7000. Mrs JW was up the north island (New Zealand) visiting family & had a wedding to video in Camebridge. The weekend before I made the trip up the West Coast to view & then purchase my latest acquisition to my detecting arsenal. With Mrs JW gone for the weekend I made the trip to my detecting location straight from work on friday.
      Two & a half hours later I was rigging up the mighty Zed. Due to our mild ground I was in High Yield/Normal. Gain on 13. Could have been higher. Soil smoothing off. The chap I got it off had soil smoothing in low but I turned it off. Other wise rest I am guessing was pretty much Pre set. Only trouble is it was blowing a gale. Put the speaker on 20. No bloody good. Thank god I threw in some head phones. Even then I still had to have the volume on 20. The wind was insane. It was difficult trying to keep still without getting buffeted around by the wind. Ok....we were off. Did the auto tune....ground balanced, but not over the ferrite ring    Hence detector was running a bit ratty. Bit like the 2300....but I could coupe with that. 
      The wind made it bloody difficult to hear & focus on any slight blemish in the threshold. I had targeted an area where I did well with the 4500 & NF 14 x 9. I had in fact got 2 pieces the weekend before going up the West Coast with the modded 45 & 11" Elite coil. There was no wind then. 
      There is very little to no rubbish due to the many times I have combed over this area.     I hadnt bagged on the zed loving those little round bloody lead balls. SHOTGUN PELLETS     Oh No... You just have to dig them dont you. So after more than my share of these critters I decided that if the signal had moved after a couple of ground scrapes I would move on. One dig I scraped & scraped & the signal just kept on coming through but getting more pronounced with each scrape. I was in to the schist bed rock & thought.....oh boy....this could be gold.

Down about 8 inches

Gold it was. Ye Ha

10 minutes later & 4 feet away the same scenario. Into that schist bed rock & signal still there.

And this is why

That was it for friday night. The wind blew me off the hill side but I was happy with what I got knowing I had given that slope heaps over the years. I would like to go back over it with the Zed when there is no wind.

Saturday dawned with the wind still howling. BUGGER. Went to another spot that was a bit more sheltered from the wind & another area where I had got over an ounce with the 4500/NF 14 x 9. Boy it was hard going with those bloody shot gun pellets. They were driving me nuts. Then I got a signal that stayed in the ground after quite a few scrapes.

You beauty. A little speci.

But that was it from this area. Had a late lunch & coffee break & headed for my mushroom gully.....& yes ....there were more mushrooms.

Got a good signal....all be it a bit warbly but it improved with a bit of depth.

Down in to that schist again. You beauty. Signal still there.

2.38 grams. That is my biggest for a while 

OOOh that looks better 

That was it for Saturday. Just the two.

Bit of rain during the night but the wind had dropped. Sunday woke to snow on the tops. 

I went over a few areas & wasnt getting any thing but shot gun pellets, a live shot gun shell & half an old shearing clipper hand piece right in amongst some old timer digging piles. WTF...

I went back to the area I was on friday evening. Got the most horrible, ugly, warbly, echoey, hollow sounding signal. Had wire or nail written all over it. Signal never improved, even whan it was out of the hole. So as I waved my hand over the coil to locate the target I just threw the hand fulls of dirt back in the hole. Mushroom top right.

Got the target in my hand.    Bloody gold

Ugly little speci

Well that was it. Battery went flat. So I headed home. Can see I will have to get a 2nd battery.

All up 5 bits for 3.88 grams. The Zed has been blooded first time out. Pretty happy with that.

This was work back in Queenstown monday morning

Snow on the Remakables

Snow up behind QT. Officially it is the start of summer tomorrow. 1st December.

Cheers.

Good luck out there

JW  
    • By kiwijw
      Hi guys & Gals, Mrs JW had a wedding to video so I made the call to hit the hills for the day. The weather wasnt too crash hot so I held off for a bit, but the sun popped out so off I went. Got up in the hills & it clouded in & was looking pretty suss. I had a plan to clear an old timers throw out heap of wild thyme bushes & some large briar rose bushes as I had detected a 5 gram slug on it in the past. Due to the thyme & briar I was unable to get my coil in to a lot of throw out pile. I spent an hour & a half pulling, chopping & sawing to clear a large area. I still had the little sadie coil on the 4500 from last sundays effort at getting skunked. So after a coffee & getting my breath back I hit the old heap. Bloody nothing......  Oh well....I still had the 11" Elite up my sleeve but I continued on down this turned over little gully from the old timers with the sadie.
      The land was the greenest I have ever seen it.

with the rain & spring conditions it was lush with grass & mushrooms.  

Yum Yum

The grass was wet with the rain & I was hoping for more depth due to the moist ground. Now I have been down this gully so many times with so many different coils & detectors that I wasnt too confident at getting anything. Hence my plan to clear that old throw out pile. My last time down here was with the 4500 & the 11" Elite when I got these

And these LOL

The trend continues....with the mushies any way.

After about an hour I got a very positive signal & thought it was just going to be rubbish. Probably a .22 bullet head from a rabbit shooter. I dig all signals & the beauty of having been down this gully so many times is that there isnt much if any rubbish left that I havnt dug up & removed. Unless it is fairly recent. I dug down on it.

Well stone the crows.... A sassy bit of gold  

Two sweeps later another loud signal. Got to be crap. Surely.

First dig up on the left

2nd dig......Well bugger me....

In less than a minute

That was it for the sadie as the coil had got pretty wet & was starting to false badly. Later inspection showed that the skid plate had worn through in a few places & water & muck had got in between the skid plate & the coil. The rain came in so I bailed back to the wagon for a coffee & to change to the 11" Elite. It took an hour for the rain to button off & I went back to my cleared pile with the 11" Elite. Still nothing. Damn. I got many signal that all turned out to be quite deep .22 lead bullet heads & a few shot gun pellets. Not one .22 shell casings as I would have got those earlier.

These would have been there for quite a while & as I dig all signals & have been down this gully many times I can only come to the conclusion that (A) it is the 11" Elite coil doing very well or (B) the modded 4500 or (C) both A & B. I did get a faint dodgy signal that sounded like a nail or bit of wire.

It wasnt deep at all. In fact it was in the grass roots. No wonder why it sounded like a bit of wire or a nail.

That was it for this gully as the rain came back. So I headed off. On my way out & the rain eased off so I thought I would try some where else just before dark & heading home.

First signal was very faint. I dug down on it & it got louder & better. Too loud & too better for my liking as I got further down. Down 18 inches & I was having trouble pin pointing it exactly. The Elite coils are a curse for pin pointing in tight deep holes. Back to the wagon & I grabbed the GB2, my pin pointer & discriminator. Bugger...iron. Oh well I may as well haul it out as you never know....it could be masking a gold target. Has happened many times before. Down the depth of my pick handle which is 24 inches &.....

And that was it. No good target either. Well that was a good work out....

Then a very very faint soft signal. A few scrapes & it had moved. Ah....probable a shot gun pellet

About the size of a pellet...but the right colour.  

Another faint signal......&

Well that was it as darkness forced me out & home

All up.... 5 bits for 2.8 grams

Cheers & Good luck out there

JW  
      kiwijw