• Announcements

• Steve Herschbach

Archives Closed - New Forums   10/16/2017

The old archive system has been closed and the threads moved to new forums. See the full forum listing here. Detailed explanation here.
Sign in to follow this  
kiwijw

7 Tiddlers For The Zed 1 For The Bug 2

Hi there Idahogold & Andyy, Thanks guys for dropping in & for your comments. Appreciated.

Ig, -11c Hopefully we are still several months away from those kind of temps. Going by the amount of snow up in the hills yesterday morning for this time of the year, supposed to be our summer, maybe winter is coming early. The dredgers are complaining about the cold water & higher than normal river levels for this time of the year due to unseasonable snow melt. Global warming aye :rolleyes:..... Cheers

JW :smile:

Please don't talk about an early winter JW.  We are heading to NZ for 3 weeks late March.  The old girl is crapping herself that it's going to be a little chilly for her. The rest of us don't care :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Hi there Northeast, I thought you guys would be glad for some cooler weather. The thing with the cool is you can dress for it but you cant dress for that heat you guys get. Dont know how you detect in those temps. We had 24 C today, just perfect & it was a gorgeous day. That snow has all but gone. If you are heading to Queenstown look me up.

JW :smile: 

Evening JW. 

Queenstown is certainly on the list. Any particular things that you reckon are 'unmissable' in your part of the world I would be happy to hear them.  Local knowledge can very handy sometimes :wink:

As far as the heat goes, I am usually out at day break and home by about 10 on a Saturday morning. Kids are ready to do something by then and the lady wakes up to a hot coffee :rolleyes:.  And I'm in Victoria so we (usually) don't get the humidity that the north gets. Lived in the NT for 2 years though - we all loved the wet season.  

Cheers, N.E.  

Hey Northeast, when my wife and I hit the south island, about 10 years ago, we hit the glow worm caves and the Shotover jet.  New Zealand is gorgeous, which helps you forget you're driving on the wrong side of the road and dodging possum every 6 feet   :)

• Like 1

Hi there Northeast, Thats a tough one. Bit like, How long is a piece of string. There are of course all the touristy things you can do which are endless & cost $$$$$ or there are the back high country off the beaten track type of stuff. Like old gold mining ghost towns & related type stuff. It depends what you are into & what floats your boat. How long are you in QT for? Just goggle What to do in Queenstown NZ. 

The chap I took out last saturday was from Victoria.

G'day Andyy, Which glow worm caves did you go to. Waitomo in the north island are by far the best. http://www.waitomo.com/#section1 Te Anau, which is the lake next to the lake here in Queenstown Lake Wakatipu, does have glow worm caves but they arent a patch on the ones up north.https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=te+anau+glow+worm+caves&rlz=1C1GGGE_en-GBNZ551NZ559&espv=2&biw=1920&bih=950&tbm=isch&imgil=NV6scqjft6CHUM%3A%3BHEG_r3dcytsfaM%3Bhttps%253A%252F%252Fwww.tripadvisor.co.uk%252FLocationPhotoDirectLink-g255124-d523691-i175795408-Te_Anau_Glowworm_Caves-Te_Anau_Fiordland_National_Park_Southland_Region_S.html&source=iu&pf=m&fir=NV6scqjft6CHUM%3A%2CHEG_r3dcytsfaM%2C_&usg=__wzyW-W5OQeWjv-aHfk-GnjbvAGk%3D&ved=0ahUKEwjJ6eWZ2JbSAhWMS7wKHX3-DcsQyjcIswE&ei=D7GmWImmGYyX8QX9_LfYDA#imgrc=NV6scqjft6CHUM:  What did you think of the Shotover Jet? 

You do need to be very careful to stick to the left side of the road in NZ when driving, Which is the left side of the road here & in Aussie. We have had two deaths this week alone due to tourists wondering on to the wrong side of the road & causing head ons. One death was an Australian women & it was just down the road from where I live. It is actually a very bad & serious problem & happens all too often. It is usually the innocent that end up getting killed, as in the Australian women. It is not uncommon to be going down the highway at 100 to 120 k's an hour, drive around a bend in the road & there be a tourist stopped in the middle of the road taking a photo. I kid you not. Not even pulled over to the side of the road. IDIOTS. Dont get me started....

As to the possums. You can blame our Aussie neighbors. Thats where they came from, & the wallabies. Do you think we can get rid of them......Not a hope.

Good luck out there

JW :smile:

• Like 1

Yeah JW.  I think I did get mixed up.  It was Waitomo.  And I proposed to my wife at Lake Tekapo.  We'll make it back again someday.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Trev (NZ)
      Hi Folks
      I have posted a few messages on here. And it is one of my favorite forums to visit.
      So allow me to introduce myself. My name is Trevor Alty and I live on the West Coast off the South Island of New Zealand.
      My county is called " Buller". And yes it is a gold bearing region. But we are covered with very green lush forest, As we have a very high rainfall.
      I am 66 years old. But have kinda done gold since I was five. Did the learning curve, Pans first, then sluices, then got into underwater dredging. And also ran a beach claim, Its called black sanding down here. Really micro fine gold, smaller than a fly poo. But I learn't how to catch it.
      Some of you may know of the " Gold Cube" well my old mate Mike Pung and Red didn't invent it.. And neither did I. But when I decided to put a claim on a beach where I lived right by. I needed to find a method of catching that fly poo. So I used what the black-sanders were using over a hundred years ago. Down here we call that the boil box system. Believe it or not it was developed by people from the Shetland Islands, up Britain way. They came down here in the early gold-rush days and somehow worked that system out. Its basically a column of water that rises up, and the sorts out the relative gravity of the different minerals. Now days its got a flasher name.
      Anyway it worked for me. I love taking the old guys idea's and using them. After all they were the masters. Siphons, Perfect water races with just the right amount of fall, and many run for miles. Damn they were smart. An engineer those days was indeed an engineer.
      Anyway Mike Pung had some trouble catching fine gold up at I think it was Lake Mitchagin. He ended up on a forum I run, that had a lot about how to catch real fine gold.. He followed my instructions, built a wooden one, went back and yep it worked. So then he did a lot a research and development. And at the end of it all, "The Cube was Born" and now they are shipped all over the world.
      And very popular they are indeed. Why even Lip CA has one. And believe it or not his son Arlie came down to NZ stayed with me
      for most of our summer, a few years back and we did very well dredging on my claim. Eh Harry.
      And yes I have been to the great ole US of A. Washington State. But wait there is more. And yep to Alaska. A mate of mine Bruce Strandburg, that was one my forum came down to NZ. I took him out and yep he panned some nice gold.. He got the bug and wanted to get a claim in Alaska. In the Circle/Central district. He flew me up to help him look. Great State, but to much glacial muck and overburden in that area. Hey Steve, yep " Fast Eddies" is a great place, Good tucker my man. And yep its in Tok. Damm we should have turned off there and went inland to the Chicken Place. After scouting out Central and Circle we headed back to Fairbanks. Then went up the oil line road, to the hidden valley. Think it was the Elliot Highway. Ended up staying on the runway at Les Cobbs place, and had our evening meals with him. He was a great man, didn't suffer fools, bit like me there I guess. We got on like a house on fire. Why he had even been down to NZ on a hunting trip. So sad to hear he fell out of a tree when setting a bear bait drum and got paralyzed, then died not long after. He was a man amongst men. I must get his wife's book one day.
      Sadly didn't get to Anchorage, bugga. But damm I sure loved Alaska. (In the Summer) fire weed, blue berry's and its remoteness.
      Anyway I am rambling a bit here, but it sure is fun. Cause this kinda feels like home.
      My latest project is resurrecting the hydraulic elevator. And I am sure it will resurface in the near future. Once again old technology but it works, and it efficiency is 100 per cent. Down here in NZ they had ones lifting 12 inch rocks eighty feet. Straight up. Now beat that. Our suction nozzles and power jets utilize the same principle . But sadly are only at 50 to 60 per cent off effiency . I am developing two at the moment, one for sucking rocks, sand and gravel, and one purely for sand. I will add a pic of a bit of the sand one. Doesn't look much as it needs the throat attached. Now as we all know there are no free lunches when it comes to suction and lift. The higher you lift, the less suction you get. But so far I have had very favorable results. And I continue my research and development, The main denominator is Jet size to throat size. But I do know the ratio's. Thats what R and D is all about.. Maybe you will see the sand one at Nome in a year or two. Hopefully sooner..
      Cheers Trev From Down Under
    • By kiwijw
      Hi Team,  Mrs JW & I have had some good friends of ours come down from our old haunt in the North Island. Waihi Beach.
      I have known Shane since early school days & we have remained close friends ever since. Shane shows a lot of interest in gold but he is more of an armchair fossicker. I have taken him out numerous times, both up in the Coromandal area. Where Waihi Beach is at the base of the Coromandal Peninsular, famous for its hard rock gold mines. The Waihi township, which is 9 kms inland, has the famous Martha Mine. Do a google search if interested. I use to live immediately to the left of the Favona Project Area on the yellow line mining license boundary. The red dashes are the gold bearing reefs of the Favona load. Now all mined out by under ground methods. The mine is no longer owned by Newmont but has been taken over by Oceana Gold. 
      Any way. I took Shane out for a days detecting a couple of weekends ago. He used the GB2 & the gold monster. He got skunked on the gold but got more than his share of shotgun pellets. He didnt pay much attention to where I told him to detect, & I believe that was his down fall.  After that weekend staying with us Shane & his partner went off to do there own thing for the week & were due to come back to our place on the friday evening. Mrs JW flew up to the North Island to attend her aunts funeral during the week & visit other family & was due back down late saturday afternoon. Shane & Carol ended up staying the friday night elsewhere on their travels & said they would be back at our place about the time Mrs JW was due back. I made the decision to do an over nighter detecting mission after work on the friday. Doing it rough staying in an old timesr rock hut shelter detecting until dark & then most of saturday before picking Mrs JW up from the Queenstown airport at 4.15pm. I was keen to try my new 19" coil on the Zed & have a play with my new drone. 
      On getting there Friday after work I stuck with the 14" coil. Hitting old ground that had produced for me in the past. I was running the Zed in High Yield/Normal & sensitivity up to 18. B&Z booster with duel external speakers sitting on my shoulders right under my ears. The ground was not kind to me. We are well & truly into spring now & daylight saving started a few weekends ago. Not sure if you practice this in the USA but our clocks go forward one hour giving us an extra hour of daylight in the evenings outside of normal working hours. So not getting dark until around 8pm & growing longer each night until we reach the longest day. Where it will remain light until around 10pm. But after 3.5 hours of detecting & getting dark, I had no gold. I was wondering back to my wagon to head off to my Hilton abode for the night. Cook up a feed, have a coffee & hit the sack for an early start in the morning. When all of a sudden I got a sweet little hit & it was a small bit of gold. Ye Ha. Beat the skunk.
      Woke in the morning to a bit of a chill & pea soup FOG. Bugger. The fog had made the ground pretty damp, which was a good thing, but I was in no hurry to get out there. Cooked up a wicked breakfast, couple of coffees & decided to go back to where I had detected the weekend before. Carrying on from where I had left off. I ended up not taking the 19" coil for a spin. Wanting to complete going over these areas with the 14" coil first before trying the 19" on them. For no reason I went to a spot where I had told my mate to go over with the gold monster. He didnt. It was a small area where the old timers had turned over a bit of a gully. I had found gold here with my GP 3000 & little coiltek 10 x 5 joey mono coil. My mate ended up detecting above the old throw out heaps despite me repeating to him to stick to the piles. He still didnt so I left him to it. My first few signals with the Zed were shotgun pellets. But then I got a signal that wasnt that shallow small target double blip signal. But lived on down to about 4 inches before it was out.
      Had that nice mellow gold sound. The few scrapes on that bald patch were the shotgun pellets.
      Gold it was.
      I went back to the wagon & got the Gold monster. Threw the piece of gold back into the bottom of the hole. I don't read much into doing these type comparisons after a bit of gold has been disturbed & pulled from its resting place in the ground. But I was interested to see at what depth the Monster would hit on this. It gave a no mistake signal with the coil a good one inch above the ground level so about 5 to 6 inches above the gold. Then nothing more but shotgun pellets. So I moved on to my wee patch area of 4 meters x 4 meters where I scored two more bits last weekend with the Zed in the one dig hole. Just out of interest. Last weekend at this spot the auto tune settled on 140. This day it settled on 184. This was about 9 in the morning. After doing the ferrite balance all other settings were as I had left them last weekend & the night before. It hadnt gone back into the default setting of difficult ground.
      My next signal was down past the shotgun pellets & with the help of the monster.
      I pulled out an old timers button
        Then with the Zed I got a very faint signal....well I thought it was a signal. In fact all the signals that turned out to be gold this day were very very faint to almost no signal but almost imagined signals & more just a hunch that it may have been a signal.
      After a bit of a scrape the signal livened up, & small gold it was.
      The next signal I had to get the Gm 1000 involved to pin point & recover it after initially getting the "imagined" signal with the Zed
      But gold it was.
      A real faint hit with the Zed that lived past the shotgun pellets.
      Look how small that piece is for the Zed.
      Then I had to get the Monster involved again. Even though the Zed got the initial hit but then I "lost" it.
      Monster to the rescue.
      Again. Look how tiny.
      I ended up with 7 bits off this small patch area, where I only got 2 last weekend. Did the fog help with making the ground damper or was I just in the zone??
      I stopped for a bite of lunch & a coffee before moving to another spot down the gully further. Another old patch area which was a bit larger than the previous one. I did another auto tune as the sun was out now & it settled on 153. Ferrite balanced & it needed balancing to smooth out. other setting remained the same. After a few hours I had bagged another 6 small pieces. Stopped for a coffee & then auto tuned again on firing back up. It settled on 70. That was strange I thought. Ferrite balanced & away I went. Hell. The detector was running real quite. Couldn't believe it. With sensitivity on 18 it was never this quiet. So I checked all my settings. High Yield yes, WHAT, difficult ground. Changed that back to Normal. WHAT sensitivity 9. Wound that up to 18. No wonder it was quiet. But why would it go back into these default settings?? I then auto tuned again & it went back up to 184. Strange. 
      It was getting time to think about packing it in if I wanted to have a play with the drone & then have to get back to pick up Mrs JW from the airport. When I got another of these almost imagined faint signals. I wasnt convinced it was a signal but just the 18 sensitivity driving me nuts. I gave it a few scrapes & it improved. Ended up down about 450mm, 16-17 inches. It was nutting off now but I was having trouble pin pointing its exact position in the hole without having to make it a lot wider to get that 14" coil in there. So I went back to my wagon to get a small shovel, the Gold monster, & bugger it, my Minelab pinpointer that lives in my glove box but I had never found any gold with it as the gold I find is way small for it to be any use.
      Scene of the dig hole
        First off I stuck the pinpointer down the hole. Nothing. Yes...I did turn it on. Got the little shovel & dug out a bit more. Pinpointer back in there & a faint response. Dug a bit more & then the pinpointer came to life a bit more. I now knew where the signal was & got stuck into it with the little shovel. Pinpointer was now going mental.
      Few more digs & it was out. Pinpointer into the pile & I had a little lump of dirt in my hand. But boy....was there a bit of weight there.
      Kinda surprise.
      Bit of a rub
      Spit & polish.
      Ye Bloody Ha.Just over 4.5 grams. Had to end on that note. All up 15 pieces for 7.19 grams.
      I am definitely getting a picture of where to go back with the 19" coil. The day will come....but not just yet.
      Cheers all.
      Good luck out there
      JW
    • By kiwijw
      Hi guys, It has been a few weekends since I was able to get out for a swing due to two weekends of crap weather. One Saturday was a lovely day but I had to catch up on a bit of work. Thinking  the sunday would be ok, but it wasn't so missed out. We have a couple of friends down from the north Island visiting & my mate was keen to go for a detect. He has just recently had shoulder surgery & so wasn't too sure how he would go detecting. I took along the 4500 & 11" Coiltek Elite coil plus the GB2 & the GM 1000. The day before we took them for a bit of a local tour.

Saturday we headed off for a detect. My mate chose the GB2 to start off with. I put him on to a turned over gully from the old timers that had quite a bit of wild thyme bush growth & that little coil was ideal for poking & prodding in between & around the thyme bushes & the old dug over piles. Telling him that I couldn't get in there with the Zed's 14" coil so he had every chance of getting some gold. I decided to focus on some spots where I had got gold before in more open areas above the turned over gully. I had in fact got gold here before with the Zed, but I was now getting in to these hot settings & had the sensitivity cranked up to 20 & High Yield/ Normal. I went over a small patch area where at xmas time I had got this on one day.
      And this on the next. A lot of the real small stuff was got with the GB2 at depth after the Zed had found a few bigger bits in the same dig hole initially.
      So running these hot settings on the Zed I went back over this small 4 meter X 4 meter area but only got the faintest of signals. Apart from a few recent new shot gun pellets thanks to rabbit shooters that gave that double hit signal that usually is a tiny shallow/surface target. One faint signal that only gave the one hit I dug down on & it lived down past the pesky shot gun pellet depth.
      Ended up getting two small bits of gold with the Zed. Tried the GM 1000 but there was no more.
      That was all this old patch area gave up to me so I moved on to the other side of the gully above the turned over gully floor where I had sent my mate into.
      Another spot where over the years I had got quite a bit of gold....& yes....also with the Zed but not with these hot settings. Bring it on.
      A couple of very faint signals that ended up being about 4 inches in depth.

Ending up in two bits of small gold for the Zed. Taking my tally to 4
      Then another very faint signal initially that went down quite a bit deeper, getting louder all the time. I was then in to that rotten schist bed rock & the signal was out.

Not too long after, & the same scenario. But deeper still.
      Bingo.
      And then another.

Then things dried up for me. My mate hadn't done too good on the gold, getting none but got his share of shot gun pellets. He didn't do as I said though & instead of sticking to the turned over piles in the gully floor amongst the thyme bushes  he wondered up out on the top fringe of them in to much deeper ground. Despite me repeating for him to stick in the gully floor.
      So end of day I had 8 bits of gold for 2.55 grams.
      I also got an old timers metal button that was down very deep.
      I was able to make out the writings on it. 86 Oxford St. HYAM & Co. I did a google search & came up with: Deriving from clothing worn by working men, such as soldiers, sailors, fisherman & farm labourers,  trousers replaced knee-length breeches. Made between 1870 & 1880 by British manufacturer Hyam & company, who were based in Oxford Street. Looser fitting & wider in the leg than breeches, trousers were considered to be more suitable for those who led an active life....... 
      So that was interesting. Cheers guys.
      Good luck out there
      JW
    • By kiwijw
      Sunday dawned a beautiful stunning cloudless sky day. Mrs JW said, "What do you want to do for fathers day?" I'm easy I said. What would you like to do. I wouldn't mind getting out of here & up into the hills some where. Is there somewhere you haven't tried the Zed that isn't too much of a walk?  She replied. Oh....yer.... You sure you dont mind me detecting. I said. No, I will just enjoy the sun, scenery & read a magazine. She said.  Oh...ok....I will make up a thermos & a bit of a picnic lunch. I know just the spot. I said.
      It was where I went with the Zed on my very first time out with it. I had got a few bits of gold & I was keen to try these hot settings there. So all packed up we headed off. Two hours drive later we parked up. I shouldered the pack & carried the Zed & GM 1000. We had about a half hour walk but first we had to cross a creek. Mrs JW didn't bring her gumboots so I crossed first & dropped my gear & went back to piggy back her across the creek. With the snow melt the creek was running rather briskly but we got across with no mishaps. 20 minutes later we were at these old workings.

Mrs JW said, "I am having a cup of tea, would you liike a coffee? Ok I said.  So she got that happening while I rigged up.
      Coffee done I was into it. I went straight to a few hot spots & also where I had got a few bits with the Zed on my first time here with it. Nothing. Three hours later & still nothing. A bit of rubbish but no gold. Time for a lunch & coffee break & then try further up & out of these old turned over ancient old river channel workings that wouldn't have been a flowing river for tens of thousands of years. Hoping to do better in some deeper ground. Another couple of hours later & still no gold. I combed over a small patch area where I got numerous nice size pieces in the past. My tell tale back filled holes were still apparent. But NOTHING.
      Not liking the feeling that I was going to be skunked on Fathers day I headed higher up to some ground sluiced slopes that the old timers had washed the surface off down to the schist bed rock. The schist was very flat & smooth but did have many fractures & cracks through it. Not like the schist I usually detect in that is up on edge & a great trap for gold. The old timers had barred up a lot of this flat platy schist slabs so obviously they wouldn't have done that for nothing. I stopped to check my settings & discovered that the Zed had gone back into the default setting of Difficult & that I wasnt in normal. Oh no......So into normal I went & 5 minutes later I got a signal up against a step up in the slab of schist bedrock. It was very faint but unmistakable. I ended up raking the pointy end of the pick under that wee overhang to the left of the coil. Target out & oh so small. It is on the coil there.
      .06 of a gram
      But at least it was gold & the skunk had been avoided. I will have to go back over the ground I hit earlier in normal...but that will be another day. I carried on combing around these edges of the schist & got another sweet hit. This one sounded  a bit better than that first one, again it was in the edge of this platy schist.
      Another small piece at .13 of a gram. But no catch & release.
      Half an hour later another mellow signal. This one had a bit more depth to it. I did in fact use the GM 1000 to pinpoint it in a tight crevice & to see if it was ferrous or non ferrous. Non ferrous was the reading so I smashed it out.
      .22 of a gram. No record breakers. That is for sure.
      The sun was getting low & Mrs JW was making noises about heading home as it was starting to cool down. I was happy to have bet the skunk & was happy to call it quits. I was just peeved at not picking up a lot sooner on the Default setting of difficult  getting activated.
      So three tiddlers for Fathers Day. Better than a poke in the eye with a blunt stick.
      Cheers.
      Best of luck out there
      JW

• By kiwijw
      Hi guys, Well....Mrs JW went up north for a few days to catch up with friends & family leaving me home alone for the weekend. We all know what that means......Johnny click beetle can go detecting for the whole weekend & stay out up there in the hills sleeping rough. So early Saturday morning with batteries all charged up, tucker bag, thermos, cooking primus & all other required paraphernalia, I was off. 2.5 hours drive later & I was rigged up & in to it. The conditions were absolutely perfect for detecting. About 4 degrees Celsius, that's 4 degrees above freezing point.  So cool but not cold. Well not to me anyway. Not a breath of wind & going to be a lovely sunny winters day. The ground was nice & moist but not saturated & I was amazed at how deep the moisture had actually penetrated into the ground. Found this out after digging a few crap signals. Usually the ground is bone dry when you have dug down 4-6 inches. I was excited by the depth of the moisture in the ground as I know this enhances depth & sensitivity beyond what is "normal". It did make for a bit more liveliness from the ground but nothing I was uncomfortable with. I stayed in High Yield/Normal & even cranked the sensitivity up to 10 from my usual more conservative settings of around 4-6.
      I had decided to hit some well flogged areas, three in fact, where I had done very well on & had found some nice patches. Two of the areas were pretty close to each other all had each given up to me well over an ounce from each patch. They were all discovered back in my GP 3000 days & with the 24 x 12 inch coiltek UFO coil. Giving up numerous multi gram pieces & the usual small gold that I normally get. I had been over them a couple of times all ready with the Zed. Getting some small but deeper gold from two of the spots but nothing off the other. Due to the conditions I had a very confident feeling as I know that no one gets all the gold & despite me having been over these areas so many times over the years with all coils on my PI detectors I knew there still had to gold there. The day had a good feeling about it. The grass was very short, not only due to the winter conditions, but the sheep had been in these areas in the last couple of weeks & chewed it right down. They had even chewed the tussock grasses right down to the little nub or crown that sticks up 2-3 inches above the ground level. In the past I had to just detect around these tussocky grasses as I could not wave my coils over them. Today was different. Although with the Zed I had to be very careful in lifting the coil up & over these crowns as the Zed doesn't like to have its coil raised & lowered from the ground so I had to do it very slowly. In fact I detected very slowly over the entire areas skidding the coil over the ground listening intently for any faint whisper or interruption in the threshold. 
      So....first spot & after an hour I got a faint but nice sounding signal. I had been getting quite a few of those little double hit signals that usually end up being a very shallow shot gun pellet. I usually dig every thing but as I had been over these areas not long ago with the Zed I took these to be new shot gun pellet type signals to be from recent rabbit shooting. So if they moved after a couple of scrapes I just moved on. I was waiting for the signal to live on down a bit before I would carry on to retrieve the target. So this signal was living on down beyond the usual shot gun pellet signal.
      If you click on a pic once it goes through to flicker. If you click again on the pic it will go full screen if you want a closer up or to see more detail.

Bingo....a sassy bit of gold.

Then just heaps more shot gun pellet signals So I stopped for a coffee break before getting back into it.
      Half an hour into it I got a signal that lived on down a bit. The dig was into a top soil & not looking promising. So I went & got the GM 1000. It told me it was non ferrous so I carried on with the dig. I was just getting into crunchy schist gravels when the signal was out. So I placed a few handfuls of dirt over the Zed's coil until it nutted off. Whittled the target down to a light in weight item in my hand. Hmmmm I thought.....not gold but not iron either. I rubbed it in my hands to get some of the dirt off it. I then ended up with two bits in my hand. A piece had broken off. I passed the smaller bit over the Zed's coil & nothing. So I dropped it in the dig out dirt pile & waved the bigger bit over the coil & it nutted off. Couldn't see any gold in it & was thinking that maybe it was a piece of aluminum. Which seemed odd for this area. I didnt want to stick it in my mouth so I went back to my wagon, which wasn't far away, & got my bottle of water & gave it a wash.
      It was a gold quartz specimen piece. Choice but bugger. As I had dropped the smaller bit that broke off in the dig out dirt. As the Zed didn't register on it I got the Gold Monster on to it in the dig out pile. It sniffed it out & I gave it a wash up & it showed colours of gold. Ye Ha.

Scanned the hole again with the Zed & the Monster & nothing. Scanned the dig out pile again with them both. Nothing with the Zed but got a hit with the Monster.  Another small specimen bit. So two for the Monster & one for the Zed.

The Zed getting the signal in the first place & the Monster cleaning up two more. Loving it.
      A couple of hours later & nothing more so that called for another time out & a coffee break.
      Another few hours & no more gold. It was just getting on to dark when I got a signal that again lived on down a bit.

Into that lovely crunchy schist gravel & then the signal was out. Another little bit of gold.

That was it for Saturday. So made myself comfortable in an old timers rock hut shelter. Cooked up a feed, had a coffee & hit the sack.
      Woke up to rain. Bugger. So was in no hurry to get up. Made a coffee at about 9.30am & cooked up some sausages, baked beans & toast. Another coffee, made up the thermos & then the rain stopped. I headed off to spot number 2. Rigged up & got into it with the Zed. Not even 5 minutes & a sweet sounding signal that lived on down. Just to the right of the bottom of the coil you will see a little grassy clumpy nub/crown from a tussock type grass that the sheep have chewed down. More on that in a minute.
      I was down onto schist bedrock & the signal was out.

Backed up on the dig out dirt & bingo.....

Sweet. No more signals. Back filled & carried on. One very slow sweep over that little clumpy nub of grass. Oh...what was that?? Oh...nothing. Changed direction & tried again. Oh...that was something...I am sure....Mmmmm....maybe not. bugger it. Tried again. Still not convinced. Got the pick & knocked that nub of grass off to ground level. Scanned again. Oh hell yeah...that is something. but Oh so faint. Scrapped away quite a bit more & yes...that is something & still in the ground. Again I got down to that schist bed rock & it was still in there. The signal was booming. Where the scoop is was where the first bit of gold came out of & back filled.

Down 500 mm, 20 or so inches, & the signal was out. I was just about to get the Gold monster to pin point it & to see if it was ferrous or non ferrous. No need now & I could feel the weight in my hand.
      You bloody beauty.

My biggest bit since last year. 3.62 grams. A beaut round ball chunky bit. YE HA....

Then it started to rain again but I battled on. A few hours later & nothing more. The rain got heavier so I went to my wagon & had a coffee. Thinking of heading off. I moved to the third spot which wasnt far away. The rain stopped so I thought I would give this area a go. It was the area where I had got nothing with the Zed on two previous occasions.
      About an hour into it I got a very faint whisper on another of those grass nubs. Knocked it off to ground level & it brightened up.

Down on to the crunchy schist gravels & it was still in there.

Suddenly it was out. Backed up on the dirt pile. Got the signal in my hand. Ended up with a dirty looking stone in my hand nutting off. Had a little bit of weight to it. Gave it a rub & saw the glimmer of gold through the dirt.

Bit of spit & polish And....

Another whopper. Well whopper for me aye. 4.39 grams to be exact. YE bloody HA.
      Bit of quartz still attached to it.

I wasn't far from my wagon. Hows that ground for detecting? Bits of quartz scattered about. Very low grass. just perfect.

The rain came back in & I decided to head off. Had to pick Mrs JW up from the airport back in Queenstown & a 2.5 hour drive to get back.
      So...my best weekend for a longgggg time. 8 bits for 12.20 grams all up.

Cheers guys.
      Best of luck out there
      JW 
    • By kiwijw
      Hi guys, We are in about the middle of our winter so things are pretty cold & the grounds frozen up in the hills & mountains. Even if not in the snow the grounds are pretty hard digging. I went to an area that I have hammered with the Gp 3000 & the 4500 & done pretty well but hadn't been here with the Zed , GB2 or the GM 1000.

You will see in the above pic those long thin dry/dead stalkey plants. I got in to it with the Zed first off & they were a real pain with the Zed to get a decent coil swing. Just had to negotiate through & around them as best as possible. Wasn't long in to it when I got a faint little signal. The ground was rock hard & the flat blade of the pick just skimmed over the top taking off the mosey grasses & that was about it. Had to drive the pick point in to make any head way.

The signal out....a small bit of gold for the Zed

After a bit of weaving & negotiating those stalkey plants I got another faint signal. Again I had to drive the picks point in to make any head way.

Not long in to it & the signal had moved....but I couldn't find it again with the Zed. So I got the GB2 involved. Had the signal in my scoop. Whittled it down & I couldn't believe what I was looking at. In utter disbelief & astonishment.....I just couldn't believe the Zed had found that. In my moment of disbelief I didn't take a photo at the time. Here is a pic I took when I got home.

You can now see my disbelief in the Zed having found that. So I re scanned the pile with the GB2 & got a much better hit. Swapped over to the Zed & yes got that faint hit. A damn shot gun pellet. So obviously the Zed didn't get that tiny bit if gold & I was lucky to have got it with the GB2. If I had of got the pellet first up with the Zed it was unlikely I would have involved the GB2.
      To cut a long story short, I got nothing more with the zed in the gold department. I was now in a bed rock area & so put the GB2 in to action. Running the GB2 in max volume through the external speaker, full max sensitivity, audio boost mode, & low mineralization. So running it flat out. I had done quite well in this bed rock with the GP 3000 & 4500 with my small to medium size coils so wasn't too surprised in the Zed getting nothing. Got a faint hit with the GB2. A few scrapes with the pointy end of the pick & the signal had moved.

Ye Ha a sassy bit of gold for the bug.

I then got in to a shot gun pellet grave yard. Oh the joys of higher frequency VLF's. Then the batteries got weak in the GB2 so I swapped over to the GM 1000. I went back over the bed rock areas that I had done with the GB2. I got nothing more there with the Monster. I was running the monster flat out in manual sensitivity on 10 & deep all metal mode, volume about three quarter strength. I then carried on to another bed rock area & got a good hit. A few scrapes & the target had moved.

In to the scope....whittled it down.....& bingo. A sassy bit of the good stuff for the GM 1000.

The sun was going down. It was damn cold & I had the usual longish walk back to my wagon. Gold found with each detector. One each for the Zed & the Monster & two for the bug 2. Total of 4 tiny bits for .21 of a gram. Wont be quitting my day job with results like that.

Cheers
      Good luck out there
      JW