• Announcements

• Steve Herschbach

Archives Closed - New Forums   10/16/2017

The old archive system has been closed and the threads moved to new forums. See the full forum listing here. Detailed explanation here.
normmcq

Any One Have This Problem With A Ctx?

I got a CTX 3030 for Christmas and left home for some better weather. I got my 3030 out for the first time at a club coin hunt a little over a week ago. I got it out for the second time today to detect a beach at a State Park beach. After about fifteen minutes, I started to hear a sound like a jack hammer. I stopped and took my headphones off thinking there must be a maintenance crew close by. The noise was gone. The noise  was coming from the detector. I restarted the detector and from then on it would never go past the start up screen and no sound coming from the machine. I have a second battery and the 17" coil. I changed both and still would not go past start up screen. I am a thousand miles from home, my warranty info and the box it came in. 

Any thoughts out there?  Sending off to a repair facility not knowing where I will be or when it might get repaired or replaced is not the option I am looking for.

Norm McQ

Never heard of that one. When in doubt a full factory reset (Reset All) is the thing to try, but you will lose all custom settings. The problem is you need to get to the menu. Double and triple check the battery - remove it, wait, put back in. You need to get to that reset menu.

reset-minelab-ctx-3030.jpg

• Like 1

Norm;

you have to quit breaking your toys...play nice.

Steve beat me to it, do a full reset, I know you don't have any custom programs ...yet!

fred

I will recharge the battery, and try again. Never could get to the reset menu.

Try just holding the power button in until a reset screen comes up if it won't go past the start up screen. This works on the GPZ so the CTX could be similar.

JP

• Like 1

I have never experienced this here.

But here's a link concerning your problem I think.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?86,2306142

Norm sorry your having problems already with the CTX. They really are a great machine. I had the same problem with mine but it happened after a water hunt.  Do you get tones? I never thought to try the reset prior to sending it in but try what Johnathan said before sending back. 

strick

Battery is on charger and will check in the morning to see if anything has changed. I had checked the reset earlier, no tones and nothing beyond  the start up screen.

Norm

Ok I did every thing that was suggested. Checked all connections,recharged the battery, changed coils, held power button in for two minutes several times. Machine has NEVER been close to water and has less than an hour of use. When powering on does not go beyond start up screen and no tunes. 

Looks like I have a defective detector.   Is there a repair facility in Arizona?

Norm

I am sorry to hear that Norm. First step contact dealer you purchased it from. These days dealers do not seem interested in helping their customers but there are exceptions. 

As far as I know Kellyco is the only service center in the U.S. but that is under review now and there may be other options. Here is the next place to go after contacting your dealer:

For all customers in USA, Canada, Mexico, Central America and South America: please call your Service Centre for guidance on which of our Authorised Service Centres will be able to assist you.

Minelab Americas
1938 A University Lane
Lisle, IL 60532

Service Centre: 1-877-SOS-MLAB (1-877-767-6522)
E: service@minelabamericas.com

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By goldbrick
      In my travels in the western USA I sometimes find myself in an area that does not lend itself to nugget hunting. If I want to satisfy my itch to metal detect I must go to a park, sidewalk strip, or relic location. I have been hunting with my buddy Strick on occasion and his main machine is a CTX 3030. I am impressed with his finds and the performance of the CTX. I am unimpressed by the weight of this detector.
      The CTX is the acknowledged king of accurate VID at depth. Is there a machine that weighs less than 3.5 lbs that has nearly commensurate VID capabilities to the CTX that I could purchase for coin and relic hunting? Also any opinions on the Coiltek Joey for the CTX versus the stock 6 inch?

• By Roughwater
      I took my new/used 3030 out in the yard today.  I don't know much about what I'm doing with it yet but these were the first 2 targets I choose to dig.  I must have it set in the miniature vehicle mode?  

• By mn90403
      I have been using my 3030 for almost 2 years now and I still only use Smooth for the sound.  It is quite good but sometimes it 'balances out' or becomes difficult to get it to repeat consistently.
      Recently I have been reading about some CTX programs for download and others use Pitch Hold.  I tried it last night and it was just so odd.  The threshold goes to a different sound and pitch, the volume goes to a lower level and I have a hard time hearing the target.
      After this I tried Normal and it makes me wonder how someone can use this also.
      Long is close to smooth.
      The difference is so much and unusable to me that I think I must send it in for repair.  Before I do that I will have a friend come over and compare my sounds to his.
      Does anyone else have problems with these sound settings?
      Mitchel
      (All of this makes me want to get my hearing checked!)
    • By Paulito
      What kind of machines do you guys use in California?!? I am running an MXT Pro. I am up in Tuolumne County gold country, and i'm pretty sure the mineralization is heinous! RED dirt, HOT rocks, and Lots of rusting metal mixed in in many areas. In the trashy areas, i SWEAR i get about 2" depth on coins, about 3-4" on padlocks. I mostly use the 4x6 shooter DD to try and see between the trash. Is my gain (between 8-10) maybe TOO high? I'm "scared" to run much lower gain in fear of missing stuff. BUT, i just need to try a different gain setting, then re-scan an area that I personally have "worked out" with my current settings. Then see if my "new" settings can find more/deeper stuff!?!? (BTW it took me 2 years to save up to go from an ACE250, to this $900 MXT setup) so I know... a $2500 CTX3030 or $1500 eTrac would probably work better than tweaking my MXT (haha BUT, i can't afford that right now!

Thanks, Paul

Yes, i'm kinda a "noob"! I got the MXT in March for nuggets and relics/coins. Got a nugget, then got busy for the summer. So I've really only done about 20 +/- hours of real relic/coin hunting.
      I am sure a CTX3030 or eTrac would be a significantly better detector. BUT, I don't want to be one of those "I ALWAYS need a better detector" kinda folks. I believe what i've heard "You NEED to learn your detector, don't just keep buying new/better detectors because YOU can't figure out your previous detector!" BUT, if MXT gets 5-6" and CTX3030 gets 10-12" based on the machine and technology, well, that's just life!
    • By Danny
      Tally - sov sg ,nel 6 gold 2 dollar coins 25 dollars in shrapnel - dry sand . Wet sand 6 more king Georges 1951 London mint (50%silver)10 dollars in shrapnel , and an an earring with 12 small stones yet to be assessed.
      3030 - has been sent back to mine lab twice for repairs after purchase but it's good . You come to the beach Comp your 100 percent fit. Dry sand - 18 karat ring not confirmed 32 bucks plus change in the dry sand.  
      Wet sand 5 bucks , large steel ring, and some old 1 and 2 cent peices . 
      Thoughts gents 
    • By Atlas
      Hi all,
      New to the Forum and have a problem I hope someone can help me with.
      Well I think the ATX (used) I recently got is down for the count

After the initial park test where the machine worked as advertised I took it to the lake for a water hunt. It was running real quiet and smooth at the first two beaches. Scored a silver ring and St Christopher medal on a chain Good frequency scan and GB. At the third beach I got a low batt indicator and did a battery change back at the truck.

Upon returning to the water the machine was acting real erratic with lots of false signals and LED indicators flashing up to the 7/8 range and even locking at this level. I thought well maybe its EMI or drift so I checked with my buddy who is running an infinium and he said his machine was purring like a kitten. So I did another factory reset and decide to run in ground tracking. I was still getting signals but hard to hear the faint ones with all the falsing.

I checked the battery compartment when I got home and no leaks.   Batteries were in proper polarization and no reversed cells.  So I decided to take it to the park today where I originally tested it with a fresh set of batteries. Did Freq Scan and GB. The GB seemed a little off from when I first got the machine. That is when I press the button and get the two tones I'm not hearing much ground signal. I noticed this at the lake also. Anyway tried to run and with the coil stationary I'm getting a pulsing signal from 1-4 LED range and spiking up to 7/8 range. The signal then locked at 8 and wouldn't go away without a reset but then continued the pulsing. So I decided to do a factory reset and that's when it got interesting. Usually on a factory reset I get two tones followed by the 4 battery check tones. The machine went straight to 4 tones with no LED display. So the machine is on and making spurious noises but no LED's are on. Did this a few times with the same results.

So I put the machine away and got my GP3000 out as a control test. The 3000 noise canceled and GB'd in this park fine and I dug a few signals till the rain started. Anyway this kind of rules out that there was some type of crazy EMI that can't be eliminated.

Next I called the local dealer who sold the machine to the guy I bought it from and he thought it might be the coil. back at the house I slid the shaft out a bit and had a look at the coil wire connector. Put in a new set of batts and checked the coil connector for leaks saw none but where the wire goes into the black connector there is some type of rubbery gasket material that is squeezed out a bit. Any way I fired up the machine and it went through a normal cycle with LED's and did the frequency scan but still getting that spiking signal. I can turn sens down and bring that signal down but then cant hear test targets through the signal at the low sens level.

Dealer told me to call Garrett on Monday and that is the plan. I think there is still 6 months on the Warranty but well see.
      Anyone have similar problems? I have this message posted on the ATX forum and a member there suggested testing my machine with a known good coil.  Anyone in the Reno area with an ATX and a good coil that I could use as a  test on my machine? I know that's a lot to ask but and maybe not even a good idea.   Maybe Steve will know?