Reno Chris

First Nugget Of 2017

10 posts in this topic

Good on you Chris, getting out prospecting again is good for the soul, no matter how big the piece of gold was or how arduous the journey.

JP

6 people like this

Great new on the nugget, It was a fantastic spring like day for sure

1 person likes this

Hi Chris,

Good to hear you and Dad got out and enjoyed the beautiful country. Perhaps it gave he and you some quality time to refocus at least for a bit.  Take care, and keep us posted.

LARGO    AKA:  Gary Long/Boise

Nice Chris! Best wishes to your Dad, as I did not know about the loss your Mother. Looks like a picture from the bridge at Mineral Bar? Slater and I were out that way a few weeks ago.

Break the Ice 2017! That's what its about! Nice Piece Chris :rolleyes: Yeah!

3 hours ago, matt said:

Looks like a picture from the bridge at Mineral Bar?

Yup, the photo is from the bridge at mineral Bar - I wanted to stop there for a minute to see what the NF American river looked like. The last time you and I were both out detecting in the same spot, years ago, I remember you found a pretty decent one with your minelab. That same general spot is where this nugget came from, but lets not say the name of the location and keep it a secret. There are a lot of old hydraulic pits in that general area. Over the years, I've found at least a little gold in a bunch of them.

You are right Chris! I found 5 in less than an hour that day and one of them weighed a dwt.

Went up to Downieville last Sunday for a day trip and the rivers are running high and it looks like a lot of material has moved around. Should be a nice summer up there this year for prospecting. Too bad we can't put a dredge in the water!

Maybe no dredging, but there will be sniping, so I will be in the water.

Good find and fine company I say!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Reno Chris
      A comparatively minor storm has just passed through, and although we are not at flood stage anywhere, all the rivers are rolling along at a fast clip with every little drainage flowing - even stuff that almost never has water. Small streams that are normally just a trickle are already full of water. Any good sized storm could bring another round of serious flooding because everything is pretty much full already. The ground has no capacity to absorb any more water.  The storm coming in late Sunday through Tuesday looks to be a fairly powerful and wet one. Been watching it on the weather forecast and every round of modeling seems like they are upping the amount of rain and the impact it will have. The forecast I look at is currently calling for over 2 inches in Reno and around 5 inches in Quincy.
      Caltrans is warning the Northern Sierra counties:  "there will be heavy rain and high snow levels resulting in increased likelihood of flooding of rivers and streams."

• By kiwijw
      Hi guys. I went out for a three hour detect late friday afternoon to an area I hadnt been to for a couple of years. I was surprised at how much sweet briar rose, thyme, broom & black berry growth there had been since I was last here. I struggled swinging the 14" coil on the Zed. So it wasnt a very eventful session. I did manage to get a very faint signal in a section of exsposed up on edge schist that did turn out to be a .3 gram bit of gold.

Due to the tight detecting spaces I gave up with just that one piece & headed home. I got up early saturday morning & packed my gear & a bit of tucker & thermos of coffee & headed off on a 2.5 hour drive to an area for a full days detecting. After negotiating in 4 wheel drive a bit of rough country & driving up & down gullies & spurs, arrived at my spot that I call Doug's Gully. Named after the chap who put me on to it quite a few years ago. It is an area I have done quite well on with my 3000, 4500 & now I was going to try the Zed. Got all rigged up. Fresh batteries in the B & Z booster, fully charged battery in the Zed. Pick belt on & harness on I went to the front pocket of my back pack to get the fully charged WM12 to hook up.....&   WHAT...no way...your kidding. No bloody WM12. I had left it on the charger back home. I couldnt believe it. What was I going to do now? Turn around & go back home. No cant do that. I had the Gold Bug 2 which I use in conjunction with the Zed as my pin pointer & discriminator. I knew I wasnt going to get any decent gold or gold at depth. But what choice did I have. I had in the past used the Bug in a few places down this gully with some success, but not down the entire gully. Oh well...better than nothing. So off I went. This little gully is not a running creek at any time. Well not for a very very long time any way.

This is the very bottom of the narrow gully floor. It rises from this up to spurs either side.

This is looking up the gully & I got a faint signal at the base of that sarson stone, or siliceous cement stone. These consist of quartz sands & gravels that have been cemented into a compact stone by the infiltration of siliceous waters. The cement stones were known to the miners as "Chinamen". They were favored by the miners as being associated with gold deposits. They had a believe that if you got above the chinamen then you were above the gold. So all those big rocks & boulders you will see in these picks they are those cement stones.

Signal turned out to be a thin slither of gold.

As I wondered on down this gully I came to quite a large cement stone cutting right across the narrow gully floor. My thoughts were that if water & gold ever did flow down this gully then this stone would be a perfect trap damming across the flow & any gold caught on its up stream side & down stream side if it acted like a giant riffle. I paid a lot of attention detecting all over, around all the edges & every little crack or hollow in the stone itself. First three signals were shot gun pellets. The first out of this hole & the 2nd to the hollow to the left

My fourth signal & no reason why it shouldnt be another pellet from just beside the scoop.

But it was a bit of gold. Ye Ha

Then another signal in that hole beside the coil

Another small bit of gold

Then another

Looking up the gully & the cement stone blocking across the floor

I had back in my GP 3000 days got some better bits at the bottom of this stone. But none there this day.

The gully widened out in a few places. Looking up gully you can see here the remains of the old timers throw out piles either side of the gully. Here on that bald bit I got a signal

This is looking across the gully, detector in the same spot as previous shot

This was the signal

Then probably the biggest bit for the day

I found this gin trap with the 3000 quite a few years earlier. It was still sitting where I had left it

These little finds kept on popping up & then I hit a little glory hole of many tiny bits of gold the more I dug down in to the schist

I wont bore you with all those but ended up for the day with 37 little pieces including a little speci for the grand total of 2.09 grams. The speci itself was .4 of a gram so it shows how tiny the rest of the gold was. 

Was a fun day but dont think I will forget my WM12 again in a hurry. Cheers

Good luck out there

JW  
      kiwijw  
    • By Reno Chris
      The more experienced guys here know that  when serious flooding  happens, it renews (to a certain extent ) the river placers in the CA mother lode  country. So although  no one wants to  see property damage  or people hurt, the flooding is of great interest to prospectors. I thought I would start this thread to keep  track of how the big rain that's supposed to be headed our way unfolds. Here in Reno the  flood is not supposed to be quite the equal of what happened  in 2005, which was really not that big of a deal - but I'm more interested in what happens in the mountains because that's what moves gold around.  Flooding is hard to  predict because a few degrees of warming can melt snow ad greatly increase the amount of water flowing through the rivers. in the next few days we shall see what happens. 
    • By kiwijw
      Hi guys & gals, Mrs JW & I headed back to my last wee patch find. It was going to be a scorcher of a day. We had to do a bit of walking as we went in Mrs JW's car as I had done in a rear wheel bearing & axle oil seal in my 4 x 4 on my last return home from this spot, & at this time of the year I couldnt get any one to do the repair. . So rigged up with the Zed, 4500 & 11" Elite coil (as Mrs JW hinted that she might have a swing) & the Gold Bug 2 plus all the other paraphernalia.  We trudged off to the spot.

Mrs JW clearing the sheep & rabbit poo off her choosen spot to make her nest.

Settled in nicely & with sounds as well. Rock on Mrs JW

To start off I went over my previous back filled digs with the Gold Bug 2. I had come on to a few little glory holes. One coughed up about 20 bits of gold. So I figured there was going to be some tiny gold the Zed had missed. Well.... signals every where.

This just kept going on

And on

Mrs Jw ended up giving a detect a miss as she said it was too hot. So she just chilled out under her umbrella reading & listening to her sounds.

I broke out the Zed & hit on some more little glory holes. Getting multiple pieces out of the one hole

So between the Zed finding these little glory holes & the GB2 cleaning them out. I had a ball.

All up. 57 pieces

For a total of just 4.55 grams.   Still.....a good note to leave 2016 on

I am just about to head out for my first detect of 2017.

Cheers all. Hope 2017 is kind to you all.

Best of luck out there.

JW    
      kiwijw    
    • By deathray
      Lol. And before someone asks, I do have permission...reason for the nighthunt is the hwy you can hear in the background.