Sign in to follow this  
TintedSnow

Searching Alaska Land Records

TintedSnow    5

Is there a way to search land records/claims by owner's name? I have a friend who is looking for where his grandfather's claim was many years ago. I know it's somewhere on the Kenai Peninsula, but that's about all we know. Thanks!

Steve Herschbach    7,843

Alaska Recorders Office  - Search by Name, etc. http://dnr.alaska.gov/ssd/recoff/searchRO.cfm

I do not know how far back they go, but if it is like 60 years or something like that then you may be out of luck. At that point call the recorder's office and inquire directly as to your options. For all we know it could be old records stored in boxes in a basement.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By WesD
      Guys, what is the validity of claims not filed annually at the county level? I have seen a few claims that are current at BLM, but the owners do not file  notices of intent to hold, or affidavits of assessment work at their local county recorders.  My understanding was the county level recording is just as important as the BLM filing, yet some people seem to only file their annual renewals with BLM. What gives?
    • By sjmpainter
      Forum member East Texas Chris came to Alaska last summer to do a little fishing and hunt for gold. I let him prospect on my claim at Canyon Creek in the Kenai Peninsula while he was here, even let him use a dredge to work with.
      Chris did a great job dredging by the bank with the 2 inch dredge I believe he ended up with about an 1/8th oz. of gold for the effort.

Been really busy the last few months, but Saturday I got some free time. I decided to dredge the spot Chris worked last summer to make sure the area was clear of gold. Well about the area he had been standing wile dredging I found a crack in the bedrock, after busting it open and cleaning it up I was surprised to find about 10 G. of fine flakes and a really pretty 4 G. nugget.

Really nice to see nuggets.

Hope you enjoy the gold.
    • By Jim_Alaska
      Just a heads up concerning the Alaska Gold Forum and The New 49'ers forum for those who may be wondering why they can't access these forums.
      The main servers went down last week. No one knows why and the  board providers cannot be reached to fix the problem. At this time it is unknown if or when these forums will come back online. There is a very real chance that they will not come back and I am now looking at different options for bringing them back under a different message board provider.
      The worst part of this is not just losing the forums for the mining community and loyal contributors and readers, it is also the loss of many years of valuable information.
      I just wanted to let people know why they cannot access these forums any more. Many times things like this happen and no one ever knows why. What has happened is beyond my ability to remedy as the forums administrator because the board format owners and servers belong to their owners. I have no way to fix the problem.
    • By Steve Herschbach
      I have just been notified by Jim Foley that that the Alaska Gold Forum is down. He is working hard on a solution but it does not sound very hopeful at the moment. The AGF is one of the older forums and has a lot of Alaska information in particular that it would be a shame to lose. Good luck Jim, hopefully something works out.
    • By Clay Diggins
      It's that time again. The August 31 deadline to make your required annual mining claims filings is only a month away.
      As she does every year Ruby has compiled general guidelines and a graphic flow chart to help claim owners understand their annual obligations.  If you are confused about the process or just want a refresher review these could help make the process clearer.
      These are a free PDF download. Feel free to share, distribute or print these out as long as you retain the attribution.
      General Guidelines
      Flow Chart
      Whatever you do don't be late. You will lose your claim if your filings aren't on time.

• By Steve Herschbach
      Akau/Alaska Gold and Resort,L.L.C. started pay-to-mine operations in 2012 on historic mining claims in the vicinity of Anvil Creek near Nome. Anvil Creek was a very rich creek and many large gold nuggets came from this area. I was busy in 2012 but several friends visited the mine and initial results were very promising.
      Nome Nugget Newspaper - See cover and page 16
      Another article
      Wow! Over thirty ounces in the group. My enthusiasm cooled a bit though when I found out most of it came out of a rich pocket that was found and shared. But then again, any one person could find a pocket like that, right? That is a major score.
      I really agonized over whether to visit in 2013. But I had prospects of my own in Alaska to visit where I did not have to pay a fee. The prospects did not look as good, but I did not have to find nearly as much to call it a profitable trip. It may not be quite as fun but I do actually have to make a profit prospecting when I can so it all goes into my mental calculator. I heard they were getting access to new ground on Anvil Creek, and good buddy Ken was popping with excitement at the prospects. I did not go, but I just knew here was going to make me really regret it. Then, a weird split arrangement was put in place for access to the new ground. I ran a pay-to-mine myself and this smelled like trouble to me, so that cemented my decision to see how it went before going. They run late into the fall so I just figured I would go in the fall if I heard big things.
      Well, I guess things went well but the news was if anything quieter than 2012. Lots of nice gold found in 2013 but not the huge nuggets I think that some were expecting. I ended up after my over a month of detecting in July ready for a break so I did not visit AKAU.
      Now 2014 is coming. The bottom line is AKAU is the best pay-to-mine metal detecting gig going in Alaska now as far as I can see. The owners are super nice people and trying hard. New operation still needs tuning from what I hear, but they really are trying hard to make people happy, and that is what counts. There really is a good shot at a one ounce plus nugget, and that is a rare opportunity indeed.
      Long story short at least four members of the forum have been there, Bob, Keith, Ken, and Tom. I am hoping they will chime in with a report. Mainly just telling people what to expect. Never having been there but having been to Ganes Creek and Moore Creek many times I already can tell people one thing. If you are looking to pay the fee plus air fares etc. and make a profit, do everyone a favor and do not go. Not if that is what you truly expect and if you will be unhappy otherwise. These things are a gamble and in most cases the trip is going to cost you more in money than you will make in gold. If even half the people could do that they would close up shop and start mining ASAP. But if you have the right attitude these things can be a real blast. I think this is well worth consideration.
      So please guys, share your experiences with us. Thank you in advance!
      Akau/Alaska Gold and Resort,L.L.C.
      AKAU Facebook