Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tnsharpshooter

XP Warranty Questions

12 posts in this topic

Folks,,,I have been seeing some threads,,a few talking about Xp warranty.

Seems some problems could possibly crop up with warranty repairs.

I don't know what Xp's formal position is here on warranty repairs,,,,as far as needed paperwork,,registration,etc.

I will post this link here,,,to maybe shed some light.

I have commented in this link.

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=243067

From XP America website:

"The complete XP DEUS metal detector is covered by a five year parts and labor warranty for detectors purchased on or after January 1, 2013. Units purchased prior to this date are covered by a 2 Year Parts and Labor Warranty."

XP DEUS Owners Manual page 58 (emphasis added):

xp-deus-warranty.jpg

I am sure it is not XPs goal to screw anyone out of warranty. They no doubt can check manufacture date based on serial number and would warranty anything showing a recent manufacture date. But for units made before 2013 there is a gray area that could arise for units that are less than 5 years old but out of warranty.

The most important paperwork for any warranty in the U.S. is proof of original purchase date. Nobody can deny warranty due to lack of registration, etc. if you can prove a purchase date. That's the law.

1 person likes this

Good info Steve.

I think some folks are thinking the registration satisfies the requirement,,,based on the name "warranty registration".

And it appears some folks units are being dropped shipped,,with no receipt provided.

I don't recall my DEUS having a warranty registrations card. Certainly, if you record/register a purchase with a manufacturer that documents your purchase date. But many people never register a warranty and many items these days have no warranty registration process.

All I can say is if you are buying something with a warranty and care about the warranty - read the warranty!

I ran a service department and know warranty process inside and out. I had to deal with many amazing things over the years with what customers thought that simply was not true. Almost all warranties have exclusions for instance. Most do not cover shipping. Basic stuff, but people don't know it and get mad when they find out about it. But it was right there to read before they made the purchase.

1 person likes this

I too,,never saw a registration card,,,,Xp does allow for supposed warranty registration online though.

Seems they may not depend on it though for proof of purchase,,I could be wrong.

Just basing this off of a few who have gotten repairs (they had registered) ,,but proof of purchase receipt was asked for.

Well, it does say that is required in the warranty. And if you hire a new warranty clerk, the warranty is law.

All I can say is make a habit of getting a receipt for all new purchases and keeping that receipt for the length of the warranty. If buying second hand and getting a transferable warranty, you really should get a copy of the original proof of purchase from the seller or some other evidence to your satisfaction as to how a warranty claim will be handled. Buyer beware.

I agree,,this would hopefully reduce the chance of buying a "hot" piece of merchandise.

I do think Xp should start demanding serial numbers be applied to receipts of their sold merchandise.

They have new gear coming. 

I could see for example someone trying to slip an older mi6 pinpointer (out of warranty) in for repairs using receipt of a pinpointer still in warranty.

Not to say there are any evil folks here or elsewhere,,,but it could be done.

All this really is to protect both buyer and manufacturer.

I could even fax or send any of my receipts (no serial numbers) to anyone with a broken Deus(out of warranty).

An auto title without a VIN number,,,what would you really have??

In the US the same place doing warranty work has records of all serials being shipped to customers or dealers.  They can figure out fraud pretty easily.  

I have not heard of any warranty claims issues with receipts.  But then again XP has the lowest failure rate of any company I've worked with.  

6 minutes ago, DetectingMO said:

In the US the same place doing warranty work has records of all serials being shipped to customers or dealers.  They can figure out fraud pretty easily.  

I have not heard of any warranty claims issues with receipts.  But then again XP has the lowest failure rate of any company I've worked with.  

Well,

I have 2 units,,you know what??? I don't know which receipt belongs to which unit.

Don't have to be this way.

I think improvements can be made here.

Goes back to the dealer. When I was in the biz we gave you a receipt with a serial number in it - we tracked units in inventory by serial number, so it was easy to do. I also filled out and mailed in the warranty card for you, or office staff registered it online if that was the process for a manufacturer.

The consumer bears some responsibility for looking after themselves. They can write the serial number on the receipt if need be. What if the detector gets stolen? Sure would be nice to have a serial number to give the police. PayPal or credit card records may also be used as proof of purchase date in some cases.