Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tnsharpshooter

XP Warranty Questions

12 posts in this topic

Folks,,,I have been seeing some threads,,a few talking about Xp warranty.

Seems some problems could possibly crop up with warranty repairs.

I don't know what Xp's formal position is here on warranty repairs,,,,as far as needed paperwork,,registration,etc.

I will post this link here,,,to maybe shed some light.

I have commented in this link.

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=243067

From XP America website:

"The complete XP DEUS metal detector is covered by a five year parts and labor warranty for detectors purchased on or after January 1, 2013. Units purchased prior to this date are covered by a 2 Year Parts and Labor Warranty."

XP DEUS Owners Manual page 58 (emphasis added):

xp-deus-warranty.jpg

I am sure it is not XPs goal to screw anyone out of warranty. They no doubt can check manufacture date based on serial number and would warranty anything showing a recent manufacture date. But for units made before 2013 there is a gray area that could arise for units that are less than 5 years old but out of warranty.

The most important paperwork for any warranty in the U.S. is proof of original purchase date. Nobody can deny warranty due to lack of registration, etc. if you can prove a purchase date. That's the law.

1 person likes this

Good info Steve.

I think some folks are thinking the registration satisfies the requirement,,,based on the name "warranty registration".

And it appears some folks units are being dropped shipped,,with no receipt provided.

I don't recall my DEUS having a warranty registrations card. Certainly, if you record/register a purchase with a manufacturer that documents your purchase date. But many people never register a warranty and many items these days have no warranty registration process.

All I can say is if you are buying something with a warranty and care about the warranty - read the warranty!

I ran a service department and know warranty process inside and out. I had to deal with many amazing things over the years with what customers thought that simply was not true. Almost all warranties have exclusions for instance. Most do not cover shipping. Basic stuff, but people don't know it and get mad when they find out about it. But it was right there to read before they made the purchase.

1 person likes this

I too,,never saw a registration card,,,,Xp does allow for supposed warranty registration online though.

Seems they may not depend on it though for proof of purchase,,I could be wrong.

Just basing this off of a few who have gotten repairs (they had registered) ,,but proof of purchase receipt was asked for.

Well, it does say that is required in the warranty. And if you hire a new warranty clerk, the warranty is law.

All I can say is make a habit of getting a receipt for all new purchases and keeping that receipt for the length of the warranty. If buying second hand and getting a transferable warranty, you really should get a copy of the original proof of purchase from the seller or some other evidence to your satisfaction as to how a warranty claim will be handled. Buyer beware.

I agree,,this would hopefully reduce the chance of buying a "hot" piece of merchandise.

I do think Xp should start demanding serial numbers be applied to receipts of their sold merchandise.

They have new gear coming. 

I could see for example someone trying to slip an older mi6 pinpointer (out of warranty) in for repairs using receipt of a pinpointer still in warranty.

Not to say there are any evil folks here or elsewhere,,,but it could be done.

All this really is to protect both buyer and manufacturer.

I could even fax or send any of my receipts (no serial numbers) to anyone with a broken Deus(out of warranty).

An auto title without a VIN number,,,what would you really have??

In the US the same place doing warranty work has records of all serials being shipped to customers or dealers.  They can figure out fraud pretty easily.  

I have not heard of any warranty claims issues with receipts.  But then again XP has the lowest failure rate of any company I've worked with.  

6 minutes ago, DetectingMO said:

In the US the same place doing warranty work has records of all serials being shipped to customers or dealers.  They can figure out fraud pretty easily.  

I have not heard of any warranty claims issues with receipts.  But then again XP has the lowest failure rate of any company I've worked with.  

Well,

I have 2 units,,you know what??? I don't know which receipt belongs to which unit.

Don't have to be this way.

I think improvements can be made here.

Goes back to the dealer. When I was in the biz we gave you a receipt with a serial number in it - we tracked units in inventory by serial number, so it was easy to do. I also filled out and mailed in the warranty card for you, or office staff registered it online if that was the process for a manufacturer.

The consumer bears some responsibility for looking after themselves. They can write the serial number on the receipt if need be. What if the detector gets stolen? Sure would be nice to have a serial number to give the police. PayPal or credit card records may also be used as proof of purchase date in some cases.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• By Shanan
      Hi Steve & All
      Im UK based and detect for coins, relics, well just about anything really, I may even have found some info of a river that may produce gold,
      Im not sure how many of you guys can help, Im in the market for a new detector and I have been pondering the XP Deus for some time but have held fire on my purchase because of the release of the Nokta Impact, I am always on this site looking at the reviews etc and wanted to hear any experiences of the Nokta Impact, I know its early days yet and reviews are thin on the ground, but experts like yourselves will have an initial feeling about new gear and instantly know if you like it or not,
      in the UK the Deus will be around £300-£350 more expencive than the Impact, so my question is to those who may have both, Which do you prefer, why, which would be your go to machine, does the Impact compare to the Deus, which do you think maybe the best all rounder, is the Deus worth the extra $
      Any help is greatfully received, Thanks in Advance, Shanan
    • By Steve Herschbach
      Unfortunately this bloke is not an experienced prospector. However, it is the first report I have seen by anyone using the new V4 high frequency coil to look for gold nuggets. That alone made it of interest to me.
      http://aussiedetectorist.com.au/2017/04/05/xp-deus-version-4-in-the-australian-goldfields-can-the-deus-find-gold/
    • By Steve Herschbach
      XP had the original model Deus in 2009, followed by four updates and another coming this year.
      2.0 added features
      3.0 added features
      3.1 fixed 3.0
      3.2 fixed 3.1
      4.0 pending
      Details and links:
      XP DEUS (2009)
      V 2.0 (2011) http://www.xpmetaldetectors.com/xpforum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=72 
      The behavior of your DEUS remains identical but new functions are added:
      4 Non-Motion modes: 
      - PINPOINT
      - NON MOTION DISC with ACCEPT/REJECT meter
      - NON MOTION AUDIO DISC with ACCEPT/REJECT meter and audio discrimination
      - NON MOTION ALL METAL
      These Non motion modes are useful for example to locate cache inside houses, cellars. For conventional searching on fields Motion programmes are better.
      On the main menu:
      - Ground mineralization meter added
      - Signal strength meter featuring Accept/Reject indicator added 
      Audio Response > Expert
      - Audio overload menu, to choose an overload sound when a target is close to the coil
      Program 7 WET BEACH > Deeper on wet areas
      Program 8 becomes DRY BEACH > Suitable for dry sand.
      V 3.0 (2013) http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/deus/360409-xp-deus-version-3-now-ready-downloding.html 
      The highlights of the new version include:
      01 – New Program N°10 – Gold Field – Gold Prospecting/Nugget Shooting
      02 – Better Target Separation And Depth
      03 – Finest Adjustment Of Ground Effect
      04 – Now 10 Factory Programs + 8 User Programs That You Can Save
      05 – Silencer More Efficient
      06 – Stronger Audio Response
      07 – Two New Audio Modes – 5 Tones and Full Tones
      08 – Pitch Mode Adjustable
      09 – Id Norm
      10 – Non Motion Improved and Easier
      V 3.1 (2013) http://www.xpmetaldetectors.com/blog-detection/en/update-deus/update-deus-3-1/ 
      – The ground balance adjustment in non-motion mode is faster (the increment or decrement of the setting was a little slow).
      – The display of the mineralization strength from the main menu has been adjusted. The scale is now more representative of the mineralization level.
      – The display of the frequencies (4/8/12/18 kHz) on the headphone has been fixed (Previously, in some cases the headphone could display a different frequency while the real frequency was 4 kHz).
      – The audio volume of the headphone is now saved when you turn the unit off.
      – The beach mode (GB > BEACH YES) had a malfunction when changing the GB value, it is now fixed.
      – The SILENCER (REACTIVITY > EXPERT) is adjusted so as to follow the value of the version 2.0 in the factory programs using REACTIVITY 0, 1 or 2.
      V 3.2 (2013) http://www.xpmetaldetectors.com/blog-detection/en/update-deus/update-deus-3-2/ 
      V3.2 will correct slow mineralization strength reading and also battery charge lever issues that were seen on some V3.1 units, also the Notch Ground function is now off by default.
      V 4.0 (2017) http://www.xpmetaldetectors.com/metal-detector/deus-update/
      The new software version V4 will add include the following:
      A major reason for V4.0 will be to allow for use of a new 9" round plus 9.5" x 5" elliptical coil running at one of four new frequencies 14, 30, 55, or 80 khz. There is also a new wireless pinpointer for use with the system.
      • Reactivity 2.5, this new reactivity level is fast and deep, offering a good compromise especially when searching new terrain.
      • Program No10 GOLD FIELD : Improved Audio Response and reactivity. Goldfield will give excellent results especially when combined with the new HF coils…Now difficult targets can easily be detected in mineralized ground. The Tone menu has been removed.
      • Lower discrimination range : For those who want more control over ferrous targets. Negative discrimination of 0 to -6.4 makes it possible to locate previously rejected ferrous items, the lower discrimination range can also enhance the signature from deep targets which may have in the past been ignored. These new options also offer a big advantage when searching for specific targets such as ceramics or even meteorites.
      • Ground Effects: Improved Tracking.
      • Improved display and signal processing compatible with the new HF 21 frequencies. The display now has the ability to handle detection frequencies up to 81 kHz (18 kHz before), now with 7 frequency offsets (compared to 3 previously).
      • DEUS is now compatible with a smartphone: Target information and other data can be sent by radio link to a smartphone. An app will soon be available to unlock these features.
      • New program No 9 "HOT" : "Pro setting" this is a find everything program, based on the Full Tone audio mode with a very low discrimination. Hot is a very interactive program offering excellent feedback and target information.
      • New program No 6 "DEEP": "Pro setting" for locating deep targets, with moderate discrimination and specific signal processing.
      • Improved Non motion / static mode: Non motion modes are now more advanced offering better overall performance, with an improved sensitivity to small targets.
      • New processing : Dual processing power improves navigation and a range of other parameters. remote and headset battery life has slightly decreased to 18 and 20 hours respectively.
      • Normalization display is now a menu feature on the WS4 and WS5 headphones.
      • The headset volume is now stored when switched off.
      • The coil name in the coil menu have gone, the serial number is now used as the coil reference.
      • Erasing a coil from the list is done by replacing all characters with 0.
      • Audio tone can now be raised up to 993 hertz
      • Target Normalization mode is on by default (Normalization is not active with HF coils)
      • When turning OFF the remote control to use only the wireless headphone, the coil restart
    • By rehupuntti
      one day field xp deus hunting

• By Condor
      I took the Deus out for a test run with the brand new 9" round HF coil.  I've been a dedicated GPZ user so naturally anything less is bound to seem anemic.  I ran the Deus over some fairly mild ground here in Sunny Yuma for about 3 hrs this morning.  I started with the standard V4 Goldfield program in the 58 khz and the unit ran really smooth.  I went over some ground where the Z had found some shallow tiny bits of gold a few months ago.  No Joy, but I can't rule out operator error.  I took along a .3 gram test nugget that tested well in air tests at home.  Of course we all know how reliable air testing can be.  My limited testing left me slightly underwhelmed.  At 1.5 inches in the ground, the coil will not pick up the test piece on either lateral edges of the coil.  That was not unexpected with the Double D coil, but a little disappointing.   The coil will pick up the test piece as soon as it crosses the center line of the coil windings, with the loudest signal practically dead center.  The front edge of the coil didn't give a noticeable tone until about 1" into the centerline.  I detected all manner of typical goldfield trash and it accurately ID'd most of it.  Naturally, lead bullet shards were indistinguishable from gold.  
      Just for grins I switched to the V4 "Hot" program in the same ground at 58 khz.  I actually preferred the "Hot" program for a little better tone ID.  I moved the Discrimination levels around and tried the -6.4 that's available in the V4.  The machine got pretty noisy in the negative Discrim.  I played around with the Reactivity levels, but didn't find anything earthshaking.  My only real experience with VLF machines was the Gold Bug II which I ran maxed out.  The Bug just seemed to have more tone "punch" over tiny gold, but that is just my recollection without any current means to compare.  I should have waited for the elliptical coil with the higher frequency like the Bug II.   I have one good place with shallow bedrock and a lot of trash that I mean to try next.  That should be a better trial for this machine.  I really want to like this machine for use in trashy areas that make the Z tiresome. 
      As I was working along a rut in a washed out road I put the coil right over a young rattlesnake apparently out for a little sun.  He never buzzed until he got safely under a bush.  Just a reminder that springtime is snake season. 
    • By Deft Tones
      Took my two boys (they make the perfect cover) to an elementary school playground today, Sunday. I had found a silver ring here a few weeks back. Decided to run Deus 4.0 around the place. More or less walked random wavey patterns in the courtyard between the building and the playground when not tending to the needs of the youngest.
      Just sitting ducks for any detectorist. Almost every target was an isolated signal surface to 8". Took the 62' quarter at 8" - which was an unexpected coin. Only one good ring. The gold plate ring is a Lord Of The Rings copy. I've barely made a dent in the courtyard. Still a practice field, BB courts, another original playground, and the loading zones. Hopefully there is some teacher/parent gold lurking around there.

Keep on swingin!