Steve Herschbach

Official Nokta Impact Announcement

Steve Herschbach    7,948

nokta-impact-3-frequency-metal-detector.jpg

Dear Valued Members:

We are proud to announce the new IMPACT, that has been tested in 5 continents by more than 30 engineers, experts and users!

IMPACT is a 3-frequency device (5kHz/14kHz/20kHz) combining  multiple detectors  and enabling a unique yet easy-to-use detector experience for new to experienced detectorists.

Impact Features:
12 Search Modes (2 non-motion, 2 all metal, 8 discrimination modes)
Advanced Discrimination & Unmasking Ability
Online Firmware Updates
Optional 2.4 GHz Wireless Headphones
Vibration
LED Flashlight

• Operating Frequency: 5kHz - 14kHz - 20kHz
  • Warranty: 2 years
  • Weight: 1.8 kg (4 lbs.) including search coil and batteries
  • 12 Search Modes:
  • 2 Non-motion Modes (with audio discrimination)
  • 2 All Metal Modes (with audio discrimination)
  • 8 Discrimination Modes - 2 Tone / 3 Tone / 4 Tones / 99 Tones / Deep / Conductive Ground / VLX1 and VLX
  • Ground Balance with 3 Options: Automatic, Manual, Tracking
  • Notch Filter: Discriminates single or multiple Target IDs of unwanted metals by silencing them or giving an iron tone.
  • Tone Break: Adjusts the break points of the target response tones on the Target ID range.
  • Iron Audio (Fe Vol): Turns off or adjusts the volume of the low iron tone
  • Audio Tone: Changes the frequency of target and threshold tones (150Hz - 700Hz).
  • iSAT: Allows for a stable operation of the device by eliminating false signals caused by high mineralization and hot rocks in the all metal and discrimination modes as well as eliminating threshold drifts caused by ground and temperature changes in the static modes.
  • Magnetic Mineralization Indicator: Shows mineralization intensity of the ground.
  • Extra features at the push of a button: Audio Boost, ID Normalization, Target ID Depth Level.
  • Backlight (Bright)
  • FD / Save: Easily saves your settings or restores factory defaults.

PRICING AND AVAILABILITY 
11000701 IMPACT STANDARD PACKAGE  MSRP: $849 USD
Includes: Waterproof IM28 - DD Search Coil  28 cm x 18 cm (11'' x 7''), Headphones, 4 x AA Alkaline Batteries, USB Cable

11000702 IMPACT PRO PACKAGE  MSRP: $999 USD
Includes: Waterproof IM28 - DD Search Coil  28 cm x 18 cm (11'' x 7''), Waterproof IM19 - DD Search Coil  19 cm x 10 cm (7.5'' x 4''), Headphones, Carrying Bag, Protective Covers, Stand, Extra Lower Shaft, AC & Car Charger, 4 x AA Rechargeable Batteries, USB Cable

Optional Search Coils:
Waterproof IM40 - DD Search Coil  40 cm x 35 cm (15.5'' x 14'') 
Waterproof IM24 - DD Search Coil 24cm x 13cm (9.5'' x 5")

Owners Manual http://noktadetectors.com/downloads/impact-user-manual.pdf

We are now taking the pre-orders from dealers and product will start shipping to dealers the 3rd week of March.  We will ship the orders to dealers in the order they are received. 

Should you have any questions regarding the product, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards, Dilek

nokta-impact-specifications-packages.jpg

• Like 1

Nokta Impact (with optional 7" x 4" DD coil) next to Makro Gold Racer

nokta-impact-makro-gold-racer.jpg

I would not characterize myself as a true tester of the Nokta Impact on the level of Tom Dankowski or others. I did however receive a late version prototype about 30 days ago to do a last minute check of the system. Unfortunately weather has been at record bad levels in my area and it has been difficult to put in the time on the unit it deserves. It is a relatively complex detector compared to most, with many different settings to experiment with. It has several unique features, one of the most important perhaps to potential early buyers being the ability to update the firmware over the internet. This does remove much of the risk inherent in buying early and holds out the promise of possible tweaks and improvements to come.

My focus being gold prospecting I can say that while the Nokta Impact is a very capable machine for gold prospecting it will not match the Makro Gold Racer for sensitivity to smaller gold. It is closer to the Nokta Fors Gold+ in that regard. Performance on gram plus gold is on par with other machines in the 13 - 20 kHz class, though the ability to drop to 5 kHz may provide some benefits in the worst ground on large nuggets, much like is seen with the 6.4 kHz mode on the Eureka Gold.

The Nokta Impact is a very intriguing metal detector, much like owning several different machines in one. The 99 tone mode has a VCO response more like one might expect of the DEUS than other full tone models, like my DFX. The Gen mode is quite unique being a threshold based all metal mode with a dual tone disc mode layered over it, what is referred to as a mixed mode. Wireless headphone capability (2.4 Ghz lag free) is built-in but headphones will be optional. Physically the unit is a well balanced 4.26 pounds with a straight shaft, molded post style grip. The cable is enclosed in the rod assembly for snag free operation and a clean look. The 7" x 4" DD coil is a real sweet option for trashy locations.

There is a more that I will comment on later when I have time. For now rest assured this is a true flagship detector that can run head to head with the best that any other manufacturer has to offer. In my opinion it signals Nokta/Makro arrival as a true top-tier contender. Look at two of the so-called Big 5, Tesoro and Garrett, and show me anything remotely like this machine.

• Like 1

devilpookie    19

Very intersting machine indeed. I read Toms full report/corespondence. The things that caught my attention were depth like f75 and stable target id. I had An f75 briefly but passed it off quickly. The machine i had was all over the place  with target id. Be interesting to see how it does in trashy locations with mixed low conductors like foil, pull tabs, and bottle caps. Pricing appears relitively modest. I look forward to seeing your thoughts on the machine

Some stuff for the tech spec nerds out there.

The small coil comes with coil cover. Under the coil cover it is a bare epoxy bottom. Coil size 7.5" x 4" DD. Weight without scuff cover 11.4 oz and with scuff cover 12.7 oz. Note - my weights always include the cable. Amazingly that is sometimes excluded, as if you can use the coil without the cable! All my weights are done by me personally using digital postal scales.

nokta-impact-7-4-dd-coil-epoxy-bottom-exposed.jpg

nokta-impact-7-4-dd-coil.jpg

Large coil (the stock coil) is 11" x 7" DD. Weighs 13.2 oz without scuff cover, 15.6 oz with cover.

nokta-impact-7-11-dd-coil-epoxy-bottom-exposed.jpg

nokta-impact-7-11-dd-coil.jpg

Display both with backlight and with reflected light. Large numbers in middle at 1.5" x 1.5" for scale. There are 12 operating modes. The up and down black buttons rotate through the options. The left and right buttons adjust the selected option. The left red button toggles between the MODE and SETTINGS on the left. The MODE is the default area and the detector always reverts there after about 8 seconds.

The right red button takes you to the EXPERT menu.

Settings can be set and saved independently for each mode. You can then easily mode switch to check target responses in different modes with different settings. Anyone used to the Racer 2 will see this is basically a super Racer 2 taking everything from all the Nokta FORS and Racer models and combining into one detector. There are also many new modes unique to the Impact. The Nokta Impact at 5, 14, or 20 kHz can match or exceed the performance of nearly any existing FORS or Racer model with the exception of the Gold Racer.

nokta-impact-lcd-screen-backlight.jpg

nokta-impact-lcd-screen-relective.jpg

• Like 1

The Impact is extremely well balanced and with stock 11" x 7" coil and batteries weighs 4 lbs 4.2 oz. The Impact with 7.5" x 4" DD weighs 4 lbs 1.5 oz. I find the molded hand grip to be very comfortable, the best yet from Nokta/Makro. The rod has a quick flip lever instead of standard twist locks - nice! The units adjusts from about 57" extended to 50" shortened up. It can go a few inches shorter but it feels to me like the internal cable is getting scrunched up too much if forced shorter. 

nokta-impact-with-optional-7-4-dd-coil.jpg

The snap off battery door on the rear end hides 4 AA batteries. The machine eats a set of batteries in a couple days time so rechargeables are the way to go. When the batteries are removed the mini USB port that is used for updates is exposed. The process is simple - I have done it a couple times. There is a 1/4" headphone jack. The Impact has wireless headphone capability built in but the wireless headphones are an option. More on them later. You also see here the on/off volume control.

nokta-impact-battery-location.jpg

nokta-impact-battery-compartment-usb-port-location.jpg

Cabin Fever    182

Thanks Steve for the additional info. Steve.   There's a lot going on inside that Impact! Can't wait to see some videos and hear more details on performance.  That little elliptical coil will be a must have if its anything like the one they make for the Gold Racer.  

Are the Impact updates available on both PC and Mac?  I know CTX software only works on Windows PC.

Bryan

PC only as far as I know. However, I have run CTX software on my Mac Air by using Boot Camp to install Windows. You have to buy Windows but it does let me run XChange also on my Mac Air when I am on the road with my GPZ. I am sure it would do the trick also for the Nokta software installation program.

I have become very cautious talking about new detectors as I do not want to have anyone accusing me of hyping things. However, I just got back from the proverbial pounded location where I test run many detectors and sure enough, that little coil did its magic, with a number of coins pulled out of dense trash. The machine balances so well no arm strap is needed, which I like. I have also found to my great surprise that I am really liking the Nokta wireless headphones.

Still early days for me with this machine so lots more to say now that I am finally able to get out and use it like it deserves.

• Like 3

Tnsharpshooter    175

Good info Steve,,pics too.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Steve Herschbach
      Some random notes, and if you don't know what I am talking about as regards some detail of this machine or that I apologize. 
      Well, I finally updated my XP Deus with 11" coil to the version 4 update. Then I hauled it and the Nokta Impact with 11" and Teknetics G2 with 11" out for several hours of cross checking coin type targets. The G2 is a Gold Bug Pro variant running at 19 kHz and I put it up against the Deus at 18 kHz and Impact at 20 kHz. I acquired the G2 new recently to use specifically as a benchmark unit because I am very familiar with it and because in my opinion it does 19 kHz as well as it can be done. I spent hours swapping machines as the hunt machine, then cross checking the undug targets with the other two. Lots of settings tried, with the main goal to try and find some deep fringe type target or target in trash where any machine can get a clear and definable edge.
      Well good luck with that. All I mainly did was impress myself again with what a little powerhouse the Gold Bug Pro/G2 is for the price. It is fairly mineralized ground but not the worst, 5 bars out of 7 on the G2 Fe3O4 meter, ground balance about 86. The only real "aha" moment was in learning the Impact really likes to upscale shallow small foil when in 5 kHz mode, but shoves the id back down to where it should be at 14 kHz or 20 kHz. All the machines like to upscale deeper aluminum in this ground.

All three seemed to get tricked in much the same way on certain targets, like a deep pull tab reading like a dime. For gold hunting purposes I do not mind machines upscaling low conductive targets, and in fact the Impact 5khz mode may have a benefit in nugget detecting because it does want to push light foil (and therefore small gold) higher. But for coin detecting upscaling aluminum is annoying. Pretty much par for the course however for mid to higher single frequency machines.
      I found running the Impact in VLX1 was nice as I could flip over just one click to the Gen(D) mixed mode program for a dramatically different read and better target definition. Target id numbers in my ground are slightly higher in the "expanded ferrous" modes like VLX1 and VLX2 compared to DI3 and DI4.
      The Deus V4 Gold Field program does seem to pack some extra punch now, be fun to get it out nugget hunting once the elliptical coil hits the streets. The new Deep mode really seems great while the new Hot mode is, shall I say it, interesting. First time I have used the X-Y screens also. 
      The G2 is what it is, almost no controls but it gets the job done with what it has, and good solid id. Deus and Impact in the other hand have countless options and programs to try, but by and large there is no magic bullet. Three great machines, I can hunt with any of them. It will take a lot more hours to sort it all out.

I find when running machines that are all hitting the VLF Wall that it is the "other things" that get my notice. The Impact is obviously the heavier of the three (4 lbs 4.7 oz / 1946 grams), although very well balanced, so I give the feel on my arm award to the G2 (3 lbs 1.5 oz / 1404 grams) and the Deus (2 lbs 4.0 oz / 1020 grams with 11" coil and control box). The G2 and Deus are neck and neck in the comfort department FOR ME* but the G2 feels ever so slightly better to me, I am guessing because the coil is lighter on the G2. The G2 slays both the Impact and Deus for speaker volume if run without headphones, but on the other hand it has no volume control so would be too loud for some situations.
      Been awhile since I ran a Gold Bug Pro / G2 unit and caught myself when switching from disc mode to all metal when cross checking at one point and forgetting that the "big number" changes from target id in disc mode to ground phase in all metal mode, so I was looking at the ground phase instead of the little speedometer thinking it was target id for a couple goes. That one quirk always had me liking the F75 versus the Bug in all metal. I wish Fisher made a 19 kHz F75!

*On arm comfort is a very subjective subject. In particular it has a great deal to do with the size of a persons hands plus length and thickness of their forearm, and their height. You really can't take any one persons word on this subject as it is like buying hiking boots. What fits one person does not fit another. It is not all about detector weight by a long shot. Balance is very important as is the all important hand grip. I am 5' 11" with forearms on the thinner side and smallish hands. For instance, my forearm really bounces around in the large Impact armrest area. The Deus armrest which may be too small for some fits me better. For me personally, the 3.5 lb Teknetics T2 / Fisher F75 is the most comfortable detector I have ever used. It is superbly balanced and something about the hand grip that narrows to the top as it cants forward really makes my hand happy. I can squeeze the armrest shut to fit my arm. So if you find the F75 to be a great fit for you, my comments apply to you. If you hate the T2/F75 setup then what I have to say is less important.

• By auminesweeper
      Over on PA a new Impact user is asking for help because they can't get it to go deeper than a few inches and the only thing that I could come up with was to use a concentric coil, because I have not used one out in the field/beach,
      And a dealer was really trying to sell me one today but not without making ***hole comments about my machine and the CTX when I asked him how it compared to mine,
      anyways here is that link to PA if anyone has word of wisdom to help out,
      John.
      https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?id=23481
    • By Rajat
      Sure impact is allrounder but not depper than at max impact does well on hot grounds as well as garret at max operating frequency give nokta high end but on the other hand it fail in dapth test against garret at max but both achine are good in every point of view the biggest point of both machine is nokta runs on three frequncy 7khz 14khz 20 khz so its all rounder but nokta enginear forgot what garret just make an all terrain waterproof metal detector with 13.6 khz submersible upto 10 feet at last my thaught is sure nokta is used for gold prospective but at max with all terrain can be also allrounder i dnt know y nokta made a great product but did a small mistake that is waterproof i am sure in future they also gonna make impact waterproof then the sell of their product will be higher no other detector can  compare with it then
    • By Steve Herschbach
      I had somebody ask me to test a couple gold nuggets on my Nokta Impact - preferably a 1 gram nugget and a 2 gram nugget. The person wanted to know the VDI number for each in the DI2 mode and Deep mode.
      This by accident may be very informative possibly for people who do not know exactly how VDI numbers are generated. The short story is they are a combination of the target conductivity and the size of the target. In other words, silver is more conductive than lead, so two identical items, one made of lead and the other silver, the silver item will have a much higher VDI number.
      For two items made of silver (or lead, gold, whatever) where one item is larger than the other, the larger item will generally have higher VDI numbers.
      The Nokta Impact is unique as far as I know in that it has two different target id (VDI) number scales that are used in the various modes. The Impact VDI scale runs from 0 - 99 but as I said there are two different ways the scale is divided. One set of modes uses 0 - 15 as ferrous, all else non-ferrous. The other modes use 0 - 40 as ferrous, all else non-ferrous, expanding the ferrous range.
      I did not want to sort nuggets all night so came up with a 0.90 gram nugget and a 2.03 gram nugget, both from the same Nevada location, and both of similar shape although one is obviously larger than the other. Here are the results...

The 0.90 gram nugget using the DI2 0 - 15 equals ferrous scale has a VDI number of 37. The same nugget in the Deep 0 - 40 equals ferrous scale reads 63.
      The 2.03 gram nugget using the DI2 0 - 15 equals ferrous scale has a VDI number of 32. The same nugget in the Deep 0 - 40 equals ferrous scale reads 56.
      Here we have a smaller gold item giving a higher VDI number than a larger gold item. How do we explain these results?
      Gold nuggets are not pure gold. These nuggets are probably around 85% - 90% gold. The rest is mostly silver. Here is a strange fact. Silver is more conductive than gold. You would think adding silver to gold would raise the VDI number. However, reality is pure metals conduct electricity better than alloys, and so adding silver to gold actually lowers the conductivity and therefore the VDI numbers. In this case the size, shape, and most importantly, alloy composition of the larger nugget is causing it to read lower than the smaller nugget.
      This is a great example of why if you are looking for gold nuggets you at a minimum dig all non-ferrous targets. And because weak nugget signals (very small nuggets or large nuggets deep) in mineralized ground can read as ferrous, the only truly safe approach is to dig everything.
      Here is a photo of a large variety of gold nuggets and some coins I tested with the White's DFX, which uses the same -95 to 95 scale as many White's detectors. Again, you can see that size and VDI numbers do not correlate due to shape and purity differences. In general the paler gold has higher silver content. Click on photo for larger version.

• By Mike Dawson
      Editors Note - this thread was split off from a previously existing topic.
      I already knew your comments were for your own personal use but if you did not want people to comment on them why post them in the first place? That Aussie guy on youtube also had a sdc 2300 so he was no dunce with Minelabs but it just did not work for him or just had too high expectations.I also respect his right to express his feelings publically as we live in a free society- in Australia anyway. I would quickly have criticised the Impact on any forum if it did not meet my expectations,but there is nothing to criticise except the headphone jack which protrudes too far out from the main housing and can be easily stepped on and the cord is too long.Maybe Minelab could have made the GM 1000 easier to use on goldfields just like my Impact.In my experience there is no smoke without fire.There has not been one post on how the Impact performs on goldfields except mine on any forum and I feel that is a real shame as that is where it excels. I am sure the Impact not only works for me but for plenty of other people too.I found it a little heavy to start with but after a few days with my new arm muscles it seemed light and very well balanced for me anyway and I am getting on, so it would also suit other novices and retirees.There is certainly a lot of resistance towards the Impact in Australia. eg. no Impact tests in the world or Australia in 2 months on goldfields since it came out, but when the GM 1000 came out there were posts about it in goldfields that week.