White's V3i And Vx3 Factory Master Reset

This used to be a deep, dark secret although the process was leaked and posted on various websites. It was kept secret because this process gives you access to the factory calibration process, and if you mess with the calibration your detector may need to go back to the factory. Do Not Do It - STAY OUT OF THE CALIBRATIONS SETTINGS!

However, a Master reset can put you back to the way the setting were the day you got the detector, and cure various oddball problems that may arise. A good idea for a used machine you have purchased in particular. 

whites-v3i-vx3-master-reset.jpg
White's V3i metal detector Master Reset Process

• Like 1

Just to second what Steve says, DO NOT TOUCH CALIBRATION MODE. You will only gain your detector a trip to the factory!

There are other secret menus on the V3i, but this one is the most useful for people who have gone off in the weeds with their parameter tweaking.

• Like 1

Actually, the new MX Sport does have a factory reset, so there you go.

The V3i did allow you from day one to reset each program separately, but with so many programs that was tedious.

Frankly, this information was only secret from people who did not look for it. I reset the used V3i that I purchased in 2014 with information I found on Friendly Forum. I agree with you David that any remotely complicated detector sold these days should have a factory reset feature.

White's MX Sport Restore to Factory Settings: 

1. Press Option, use the up and down arrows to select RESET. 
  2. Press and hold Pinpoint button. 
  3. All options return to factory settings. 

8 hours ago, tboykin said:

Just to second what Steve says, DO NOT TOUCH CALIBRATION MODE. You will only gain your detector a trip to the factory!

There are other secret menus on the V3i, but this one is the most useful for people who have gone off in the weeds with their parameter tweaking.

Would it be possible for me to get that secret menu information?

I want to know everything about the V3i. Even privately. I'll never tell a soul.

Despite its flaws and quirks, I love this machine so much! I hunted a virgin uptown sports complex today - quarters everywhere and almost no trash! Took the time to run the same sideline behind the Deus and found 7 different dimes on edge that banged hard on the V3i 6x8sef. I realized right there that for me there is no better machine and my jewelry hunts.  I'm all in this year on my V3i. As many hours as I can towards mastery.

• Like 2

I have all those resources and a few more. I've got everything I can find on the V3i that is on the internet. These MR instructions are old news for those who scour the web.

I'm not planning to jack my machine up, but even if I did I'd have excuse to purchase another new V3i while waiting for Whites to fix my current machine... repairs I would pay for. My V3i is out of warranty anyway, so it's on me. I'm not planning to be without a wifeV3i. :wub:

I'd rather not waste time hacking the V3i to find this information myself. So, please, I can't live with a mystery that is knowable.

I give you my word I won't spread the information if given to me. If I work for it and find the menus on my own... I may feel differently. :ph34r:

You see, I just collect information, and honestly I may just look around and never do anything with it, but forbidden knowledge can't stay that way with me when I am interested...at least not for long.

No matter your decision, thank you for the tip-off. I will have the information one way or another.

Thanks for the great machine Whites. On track to hit 4k hours with her this year.

Respectfully,

A happy V3i and TRX customer.

• Like 1

If you are going to spend time trying to hack something, how about trying to hack a VX3 into a V3i? From http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/white-s/349679-change-vx3-v3i.html#post3327424

"I called Whites again today to ask about changing the VX3 to V3i and they won't do it. They did tell me it can be done since they are both the same other than software but won't because they feel it would cut into V3i sales."

• Like 1

Interesting read. Viddy makes a great point because I know how to mod the item he mentions. I had never considered turning a VX3 into the 3i. That's an idea that has merit!

I imagine these secret menus lead to at least a splash screen, owner ID security, and who knows what other goodies. I have to know. I'll work on that next time I'm sick and stuck in bed.

I don't want to hurt Whites at all. I'll only hack my own machine for my own purposes. It can't be to hard, it's not even a phone. Need to find a used/damaged machine and then backup my current V3i. I do want (not need) a new V3i...so I don't have to change lower rod/coils as frequently. :biggrin:

Oh, man. The hardest part - explaining myself to the wife what the hell I'm doing buying two more machines without selling any. She is going to have my head if I'm not careful. I need to quit hanging with enablers. :laugh:

Thanks.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

This is interesting. Reminds me of the old days of Nintendo secret codes for Mario and Zelda etc. Pressing buttons in random order just hoping to stumble into something. It has piqued my interest to see what I can open up. I'd like to be able to monkey with the tracking a bit if at all possible. There's some control over the speed I see, but I see a lot of posts that have me worried that if I get into more aggressively changing ground than I have so far the machine won't keep up in auto. It sounds like this was a software change from an issue that wasn't present in the Vision and V3?