Storms Are Good

mn90403

I went out this morning looking for what the storm has brought in.  We had some waves in the bay up to 15 feet!

When detecting after a storm it can be good but it can also be 'blown out' with very little pattern.  I hunt for 'focused energy' and patches.  This can take a lot of walking but can also result in rewards.

My initial pass at the beach was along the cut (such that it was) which was mostly pushed over.  The waves and tide had gotten so big that nothing stopped and it blew right over the blanket line.  This makes for a good day if you are a beach comber but difficult for detecting.  I kept walking and finally found a patch while the tide was still high.  I came back to it an hour or so later when there was a bigger beach.

The gird began and I was in a nickel, dime and quarter patch worth sticking with.  This got me $18+ and a couple of keys.  Then on one of my shallow penny hits I looked in the scoop and GOLD!  Really?  I put it back down on the beach and tested again and still penny on my 3030 ... must be gold plate.  I'll check it when I get my glasses on ... time to work the patch more.

When I got home I looked and J A 585 with a diamond ... maybe it was the size ... a penny won't quite fit inside it.  It weighs 11.5 g.  Yahoo, GOLD RING.

DSC09648.JPG

• Like 9

I went back to the same beach today and ... less than $1 ... so ... hunt your beach pockets while they are there!  Some waves deposit and some take it away.

• 2 months later...

No doubt an exciting moment for sure.

• 4 weeks later...

I got out with the DFX a couple of days after Hurricane Matthew last October.  Some of that "beach re-nourishment project" sand was gone, but not nearly as much as I thought there would be.  I was expecting bare rocks and 10 years worth of gold rings 3 inches down. :laugh:  Now the interesting thing is that the sand seems to continue to erode.  It was like Matthew "jump-started" the erosion and instead of the usual summer sand deposition it seems to still be eroding.  There are more rocks showing at low tide than I have seen in the 3 years we've been snow-birding here.  I'm just waiting for the next "beach re-nourishment project" notice to appear in the local paper.  I'll be out there quite a bit until then.

Anyway, happy hunting!