Gold In Hotrocks! Bring Your Hammer

idahogold

Have You ever found Gold in Hotrock? Just wondering Who has before?:huh: Carry a hammer like this guy! Enjoy.....Ig

• Like 7

Yes sir i have found gold in hot rocks i was going to throw away, but i decided to take them home and soaked them in acid a couple days and when all the red rock was ate away i had a nice little pile of gold.  

• Like 1

In 2015 my partner and I armed with the then new Zed held a test on hot rocks.  Of ten samples found 3 contained gold for me and of 8 he found, and allowed me to dolly *he really does not like the dolly pot :)* 2 had gold in them (he had a bunch more but wouldn't let old dolly bang'm).  None of the rocks showed any gold from the outside~ ones that did didn't qualify and went into our collections~ though I did dolly a couple just to set his teeth on edge. Hehh!

We both looked at the character of the hot rocks, iron stone/ conglomerate/ quartz, and the response to the detector, sharp signals/ broad and small ticks that just would not balance out, and concluded that it was worth while to pick them up.  2016 I did the experiment again with the criteria from 2015 : sharp signals and ticks, conglomerate and quartz or iron stone with quartz indicators : of 10 picked up 6 had gold.  Not great masses of gold though.  Each rock was only about fist size and yield was a gram or less but it was all flat and leafy.  Total weight in 2016 was 2 grams and 2015 3 grams.

Not sure how this experiment would play out in the USA as the material is different then that of Australia but its a fun experiment and I have about a half dozen more hot rocks I did not dolly in my collection I might check out one day.

• Like 2

On my second trip to Oz, one of the guys found a completely back stone about three grams. It looked like a black dove egg. He passed it around to some others and was about to give it a throw. Just then I asked to see it.  After pinching and squeezing it broke open like an egg. Inside was a solid nugget, my what a surprise. Of course, he reclaimed the piece. I wish I had a pic of the before and after...

fred

• Like 1

Just being a cantankerous old guy this morning, I will point out that by definition a hot rock is a rock that goes beep but does not have gold in it. If it has gold in it, it is gold ore, or a gold specimen.

Although the rocks in the video are being referred to as ironstone, it appears to me to be what the Australians refer to as caprock, which is a type of conglomerate. I hacked a couple nuggets out of caprock while in Australia. Since conglomerate is originally sand and gravel that has been cemented into rock, it is not unusual to find gold in it. I would always crack open any conglomerate that signals on my detector.

The detector response illustrated in the video also was not what I would have considered to be a hot rock response. He busts the rock, and only one part of it signals. A hot rock, it is the rock itself that signals, so all three portions would have signaled were it a true hot rock.

I would simply call what was found "a rock with gold in it". Gold in conglomerate if rich enough is actually a type of gold ore.

The lesson here is that not all rocks that beep are hot rocks. Some are gold ore or gold specimens. Unless you know for sure what you are dealing with, investigate any rock that beeps. It does not take long to determine which is which in the field.

• Like 4

This is a piece I got in conglomerate years ago using a Minelab 16000 Ground Tracker.    This rock started about the size of a house brick and by the time I exposed the gold it`s about the size of a large egg.

It looks to be about a ½ grammer.    Around where I live there is tons of conglomerate that looks just like this and I have never got a signal in any of it. :sad:

Dave

dwez8fn

• Like 2

Thanks for the pdf. Steve! Excellent! A Must read Folks......:rolleyes: I knew before about the Vit" the Largest producer of Au on Earth for Decades! All Excellent Responses! Got Anymore stories......?

Here's part 2! :laugh: Cheers,ig

• Like 1

While I lived in Washington state in the late 1970s,before I knew anything about prospecting or metal detecting,I was fishing on a Puget sound tributary and met an elderly couple that were looking for gold in river rock.They where both carrying a couple of small sledge hammers,rock picks and burlap sacks and said gold was to be found in the quartz rock and boulders that make up the entire rivers banks and bottom. They said if you break open a likely looking rock with your hammer and find gold in it,take it home and soak it in acid to extract the gold.These Western Cascade mountain rivers are full of iron ore and quartz,a possible sign of gold.Considering their age and the rather rough/remote location on the river they seemed focused and had done this kind of prospecting before and not just out on a weekend lark.I was  focused on catching a 20lb. steelhead so never followed up on this information.Good luck.

• Like 1