Hi Steve, likewise I have joined here to get out of the politic,s I have been involved in the QED test team for five years  as an interested prospector and sounding board having NO pecuniary interests through many versions of hardware and software revisions it still has more to give with further development with input from the new owners of the production detectors most of my testing has been about its ability to handle various types of ground from super saturated salt lakes to ground of around 70% iron content mainly with DSO attached  looking at wave forms although I have found gold with it that was not what the main target was now I intend to use it for the designed use as Reg being in my early 70's the light weight ergonomics is a boon my prototype is slightly different from Reg's  having again a slightly different layout but the same component count and software.

Regards, Ian.

• Like 1

Mal, you said "that is transversed by 500KVA high voltage transmission line towers." I think you meant 500KV. if so a corona discharge may be your problem. A corona discharge is an electrical discharge brought on by the ionization of a fluid such as air surrounding a conductor that is electrically charged. Spontaneous corona discharges occur naturally in high-voltage systems. Coronas generate gases such as ozone (O3) an electrically charge particles.

If you are determine to detect in these situations wait for a slight breeze and detect on the upwind side of the line. By the way I closed the switch (CB) on Victoria's first operation of 500 KV line at Hazelwood Power Station back in the early 1970ties

• Like 1

Thanks for the interesting Info geof_Junk, yes I think your right 500KV
Well I can tell you can hear the crackle, and hissing from these power lines.
I don't plan to detect near these again, it was just to test the ability of the QED v the 5000, both failed to operate within 50m of these particular lines.
I worked at both Liddell and Wallerawang Power Station's in NSW, setting up cooling water monitoring systems.
Late 70's early 80's

Mal

• Like 1