Severe Or Not To Severe

fredmason

"Severe is a variant of High Yield so has VERY good sensitivity to tiny gold." 

JP, it is these little snippets that have me checking this forum every day just to see if you've written anything about the Zed.  They are the extra info that aren't in the manual. 

Thanks (again!!).  

Adam.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Yeah, I know this thread is getting a bit old but I can confirm having some hot rock difficulties with the ZED as well.  Mind you that I am still becoming familiar with all facets of this beloved machine.  But I happened to be in a spot which was hotter than I have seen the likes of, due to the Basalts.  I was kicking hot rocks every 3 feet and even Severe did nothing to curb this (which makes sense now that I read JP's explanation)   I see that I need further work at quieting this detector down in this location.   I suspect Difficult with sensitivity dropped really low, will be the only workaround for these rare areas.  I'll experiment more in the future.

The GPZ is like going back in time to early days VLF or early days Minelab Pi. There are things it has a hard time with, in particular salt/alkali, and certain ground and hot rocks. But just like with the Minelab Pi detectors I suspect that with each generation some new modes/timings will be introduced that can be used to address these issues. Hopefully some will be as free updates. No doubt some will require a hardware change and therefore new future models. Minelab made it clear when the GPZ came out that it was their platform for at least the next decade and that is one reason I got on it early and dumped everything else. I want to be along for the entire ride.

• Like 6

I am certainly of the hope that new developments are available via software downloads rather than model upgrades. It is probably the single biggest factor that got me to buy the Z instead of a GPX. 

• Like 2