Australian Gold Picture And Video Thread

mn90403

16 minutes ago, Jen58 said:

This picture is of some of my brothers gold.. all found with the GPX5000 and the 14" elite coil

the bigger piece almost weighed in at 20 ounces, (doesn't look it, sure is nice to feel the weight of it ) he dug down through 1 foot of an old timers mullock heap, then still had to dig down another foot into the hard compact dirt,  said he nearly gave up, as the hole was hard digging, he couldn't dig anymore, with bleeding knuckles, buggered from shear digging.. he thought I have to find out what this is.. maybe a coke can or a big lump of rust!  just as well he didn't give up hey? It could have turned out to one of those story's we read about.

("Big gold find, someone started to dig this hole, as the first foot and an half was filled back in! " :sad:  ) 

20-ounce-australian-gold-nugget.jpg

I took the liberty of cropping out that monster nugget for a closer look. That looks more like a California style old channel nugget than most Australian gold I have seen. Well worn and solid - what a beauty. Thanks for posting all the great photos everyone. It's always great to see some gold!

• Like 4

That was a great nugget of your brother's Jen. So solid and soooo heavy. You got to agree that it isn't that big for it's weight. It is also well water worn.

wombat :wink:  

2 hours ago, Reno Chris said:

There are ancient channels in Victoria state similar to the tertiary channels of California.

G'day Steve & Chris,

yes we call them Deep Leads over here in Aussie, they are ancient water courses/rivers that have changed over millions of years, sometimes they're on sides of big hills and on large flat areas.  Usually you know by the big mullock heaps that the Old Timers have left behind with no obvious diggings.    :smile:

Cheers. 

Mike.  

Usually you know by the big mullock heaps that the Old Timers have left behind with no obvious diggings.

Similar here - in the sense of piles of old rock and sometimes smooth water worn bedrock up near the top of mountains with rounded river worn boulders.

old_channel.jpg

old_channel_bedrock.jpg

• Like 3

Some of my gold collection.

A few notes on my collection:  2016 "The Spot" 308 small nuggies from a patch about the size of a tennis court or a little bit bigger .  2016 other is the rest for my season besides speccies from other locations.

The one small piece in the display capsule is a "sunbaker" that wont respond to any pi detector ( possibly VLF gold ) that i have heard about but yet to try on a VLF detector. 

The bottom R/H corner nuggie is my first over the ounce piece, 44g. 

The ironstone speccie above it is a 23grammer.

The Quartz piece in the L/H bottom is the first piece that found me a patch starting right under my parked 4X4, The little piece with it was a sunbaker (dirty) he was by my driver side door, Had stepped over it getting out of the 4X4, Moved the 4X4 and got another 3 or 5 nuggies under it.  Patch count to date is 79 nuggies, 4 coins & lots & lots of rubbish.

Heaps more of the nuggies pictured bring back great memories of the chase/find !

Gold Collection.JPG

• Like 8

Thanks Chris for the great pics.  

Found another pic of Jen's & my gold finds from our 2015 WA trip, so I thought I would share this here with you all.   We were using GPX4500, SDC2300 & GPZ7000 to find these nice nuggies.    :smile:

image.jpeg.d54909f8c99431ef2466b00a34deaecd.jpeg

Cheers.

Mike. 

• Like 3

G'day Ash,

great Nuggy finds and good to see you here. 

Thanks for sharing.