Zip Zip By Larry Sallee

GB_Amateur

I've seen these books recommended here and elsewhere.  I'd like more info on them, and my web searching has only led to confusion.  My observations:

1) these books were not widely distributed;

2) they are out-of-print;

3) they are not cheap.

I know several of you are familiar with these works.  Could you explain the differences among the editions?  If I'm going to spend as much or more on these as I do on coils I'd like to avoid duplicate purchases.  Thanks in advance.

First came Zip Zip Mastering Your Nugget Detector by Larry Sallee, a first edition and a revised edition in 1996, 153 pages.

Then came Zip Zip The Advanced Course in 1997, 120 pages

Both were updated in 2004 and combined into The Complete, Unabridged Zip Zip, 277 pages.

zip-zip-editions-larry-sallee.jpg

I sold all of them over the years. I think the first two sold for about $17.95 each and the Unabridged version combining both was like $24.95. It is a great book for sure, one of the best written on nugget detecting, but used copies going for hundreds of dollars is insane. I wish I had bought my last two cases myself and stashed them away!

Larry was big with White's in the early Goldmaster days and the books focus on the Goldmasters but the methodologies described apply to all nugget detecting. No real coverage of PI at all however. Anyway, they are all out of print. The original Zip Zip had most of the meat, with Advanced dealing with additional detail. Unabridged updated and combined both and so is the one to have. If you can find it for a reasonable price.

I have no idea why Larry won't reprint it - it would still sell well as people paying way too much for it proves. I have been told I should buy the rights and reprint it, but the fact is I could write something more up to date myself so why pay to publish somebody else's book? A classic though, no doubt about it.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, kiwijw said:

Hi there Steve.....You have planted the seed...... So when can we expect your book?? I will be first in line. :biggrin:

Cheers

JW :smile: 

I'm sure many of us would stand in line. As fast as Steve types writing several books would be no problem. Probably want to start with a beginners book first. Then move down each topic writing a book about each. Or maybe just a gold hunters adventure book. Gotta figure what would sell I guess.

strick 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Larry was big with White's in the early Goldmaster days and the books focus on the Goldmasters but the methodologies described apply to all nugget detecting. No real coverage of PI at all however. Anyway, they are all out of print. The original Zip Zip had most of the meat, with Advanced dealing with additional detail. Unabridged updated and combined both and so is the one to have. If you can find it for a reasonable price.

Thanks, Steve.  That was the detail I was hoping to get -- difference between titles and editions, and dates of publishing.  Armed with that here are *best* prices I've found on the WWW:

Original (1st edition):  $65 + shipping.

Revised edition:  ~$100 + shipping.

Advanced Course:  $125 + shipping.

Unabridged:  (haven't even found one for sale on the web).

Shipping at book rate (what most used booksellers use, but beware of Ebay sellers who often charge more) is ballpark $5 in US.  Those were the best prices.  Of the 42 listed (and some are duplicate listings) on used.addall.com megasearch website, 25 are over $200, 10 are over $300, and 6 are over $1000 (5 of the 6 kilo-buck ones are either in Canada or UK).  Of course as we all know, it's not the seller's price that determines value; it's the buyer's price.  Still, from the above numbers you can see that to get the equivalent of the Unabridged version will cost about $235.

4 hours ago, AuWanderer said:

Speaking of Larry, what ever happened to him? Is he still into prospecting or left for greener  pastures.  

As good as Larry was with a metal detector he was a better Big game hunter guide.   He and his wife are living in Texas now I believe.

• Like 2