Talk On " Engineering Marvels Of The Comstock "

Local geologist Webb Varnum will be making a presentation and slide show on "The Engineering Marvels of the Comstock" tomorrow (Tuesday 28 February) at the Comstock Gold Prospectors club meeting.  Webb is a graduate of the Mackay School of Mines and has spent most of his long career in Northern Nevada.   The meeting is at the Mason's Lodge on Pyramid Highway in Sparks.  The meeting starts around 7:30 PM, although most attendees arrive earlier.  All are welcome, especially visitors and guests.

Something I just learned about engineering on the Comstock is that in 1890 or so a hydroelectric plant was installed at the 1650 foot level of the Chollar Mine.  It was powered by high pressure water piped from the surface to Pelton wheels at the 1650 foot level.  The electricity was delivered back to the surface where it powered a mill.  At the time of installation it was the world's longest electric power line with a length of over one mile.  There was some discussion today about whether the generation equipment is still down there at 1650 feet.  The conclusion was that it's a moot point because the water level in the mine is at about the 1300 foot level.

Here is a link to a Comstock Foundation for History and Culture Facebook article on the subterranean power station:

https://www.facebook.com/Comstockfoundation/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED