Oroville Dam - New Bedrock, New Gold

I'll admit I have panned and detected both sides of the river. From that spillway toward the west and on down to almost the fish hatchery. I do not have gold in possession from there though I did very well and put beans on my plate. Now it is patrolled by national guard even though we ran cattle there we are not allowed in or around. I know of only one cattle rancher that lives there that is able to go in. DWR took his driveway and widened it to fit the haul trucks. It's sad to think what the state does to the people. Nobody is even allowed in on private ground near there unless you live there. 

• Like 1

Hi Klunker that's interesting about no evidence of ground sluicing. I remember hearing quite awhile back from people who lived in the area that there was  gold found during the Oroville dam construction in the train car loads of gravel brought in from other areas as fill - some of which was comprised of 6 thousand acres of feather river bucket dredge tailings, and there was also at least one vein that was cut into as they worked the original area. 

• Like 3

Norm McQ Posted a little bit about gold found during construction but to my knowledge it was found while scouring the river banks for cleaning down to bedrock. However, I have out smarted myself many times by thinking of all of the reasons for there to be no gold in a certain area and been wrong.

I too have heard of a few "sunbakers" being picked up.  But no one is going to admit to it publicly.  My main interest would have been to see if there were any high benches on that hillside that got exposed.  Not so much quartz veins, but ancient pockets from when the river was higher or the hills lower.  It's also hard to tell how deep bedrock is in some areas.  In one video I saw, there was a red bank about 20 to 30 feet thick exposed before the green bedrock was exposed.  Gold in that red dirt?  Possibly.  More likely sitting on the bedrock.  But the only way to know is to go and look and detect.  Mother Nature can be tricky and gold likes to hide.

Digger Bob

• Like 2

From today! Enjoy! :smile:ig

He's mapping the big nuggets!!

• Like 2