SDC 2300 Worrying Problem

howdy,

mine has same kind of problem, apart from it starts to misbehave when I get it wet up to control box making detecting impossible, its sounds off and goes crazy. Have never had it submerged which was one of the main reasons I brought it, going to send it back to minelab in Oz at start of winter cause im still using it away from waterways.

cheers

matt

maybe that "loose battery issue" mine fell over Last week while digging a "Bomb" crater from a whisper 15inches deep turned into a booming pull w/out blanking out" sensitivity factory green. decomposed granite  sand mix  "Turned into 3 targets at depth! 1 in the bottom 2 in the sides of the hole 15-17" deep......junk" 3   1/8 oz. Lead eggsinkers. My sdc2300 weirded out when it tipped over in the Only exposed dirt...we could find..at the park...:huh:

.plus it was 30f and Lightly Snowing, I turned the sdc on and off 3 times and it finally went back to normal! is there a post that lists SDC 2300 Problems "What to watch out for"?:blink:

All I know was Battery door or compartment spring issues" Thanks Ig.

Hi Matt - never had mine under water except for the coil.  Will be scared to now!

Idaho - definitely not the loose battery issue. Very different to turning off and immediately restarting.  It did do that about 6 months ago and taped the batteries and no further problems. 

Also rang the service dept at Minelab in Adelaide and spoke to a very helpful chap there.  He said that it sounded weird and definitely send it back.  He also said that it sounded like I had tried everything that he would have suggested to try - which made me relieved. 

Now I am very nervous about my most expensive ever postage parcel :ohmy:

• Like 1

On 3/4/2017 at 0:11 PM, Reno Chris said:

A few SDC's have issues with the waterproof connecting plug. It is possible you are having an intermittent connection issue which is showing when the detector is jostled. 

Well, just got back from the city, I took the minelab sdc-2300 w/ me since its either raining or snowing roun here depending on your elevation  and was able to detect a shoreline area on a lake. got 13 targets- dug all trash. but it was good exercise......Well I'm only on 3rd set of batterries Duracell c----w my detector,  and i just put those in....and ive baby'd this thing since ive owned it....set it down easy, where it usually wont tip over, wipe it down w/ soft cloth to clean after every use.....carry it in a special backpack......put it where it wont rattle or fall..etc.! You get my point...nice to my equipment....and ive used this detector only like a dozen times since new...It still smells new! And today i set it down slightly medium hard for the first time"kinda ...and the rear bottom thudded a cobble....and instantly....

NO More Headphones working and they still dont!!!!!!!!!!!  

Any Ideas????:ph34r:

And its only the 4th time ive used headphones with it!!! 

Is this what Chris is describing above???

14 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

If you pulled very hard on the headphone cord it may have pulled the wires loose where they go into the special connector end. I am talking about the headphone cord, not anything in the detector itself.

Could be because the headphone chord doesnt Lock now either.......Time to call Rob I guess. Thanx! :happy:

• Like 1

That appears to be a weak area. It is a good idea to loop the headphone cord around the armrest or otherwise do something to act as a strain relief. Constantly pulling and twisting on the connection point is almost bound to end in failure. They will replace under warranty however.

The nice thing about getting and using the SDC headphone adapter is it makes it easy to eliminate the issue. So would using the Pro Sonic wireless system.

image.jpg

• Like 2

On 3/7/2017 at 10:10 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

That appears to be a weak area. It is a good idea to loop the headphone cord around the armrest or otherwise do something to act as a strain relief. Constantly pulling and twisting on the connection point is almost bound to end in failure. They will replace under warranty however.

The nice thing about getting and using the SDC headphone adapter is it makes it easy to eliminate the issue. So would using the Pro Sonic wireless system.

I'm amazed how easy this failed ... Honestly its like  7or 8 times plugging the headphone in and only twice actually detecting w/ headphones the whole time ! Waaaaaaaah :angry: Why would that cause the lock mechanism on the plug to fail simultaneously?weird

Thanx, Ig