Starting A New Mine After Magnetic, Resistivity And I.p Survey.

• 2 weeks later...

We have  since  done  a  trenching  job  across  the  claim  and  the results  were  as  attached.  

The  trench  was  about  1.5m  deep  and  hit  bedrock.  Our  samples  though  were  mainly  soil  samples  taken  every  meter.

The  best  result  there  was  a  big  quartz  rock  which  unfortunately  did  not seem  like it  was  part  of  a  continuous  reef.  It  was  if  someone buried  there,  how and  why i  have  no  clue. It  had  a  bit  of  visible  gold.  

I am  not  sure  the results  are  good  enough :mellow:

20170507_100648-1080x1920.jpg

20170511_092852_crop_744x675.jpg

20170511_092901_crop_916x576.jpg

20170511_081856-360x640.jpg

• Like 3

Sample  9's  origins  are  yet  to  be  established.  I suppose  there  is  no  harm in  further  opening  up  where  the rock  was  and  checking  whats  going  on.  How  does  such  a  rock  just  appear  from  nowhere?

Bedrock  is  schist.  We didnt  dig  much  into it though  we  know  from  the  other  shafts  (like  the  4m  one  below) its  a  few  meters  deep  before  one  encounters  more  competent  rock  in  the form  of  bluestone  and  granite  on  the  other side

20170507_143648.jpg

Interesting stuff, keep us updated.

Is it hilly? Hard to tell from the photo. The rock probably travelled downhill.

6 minutes ago, jasong said:

Interesting stuff, keep us updated.

Is it hilly? Hard to tell from the photo. The rock probably travelled downhill.

The  area  is  really  flat. Flat  for  miles. 

20170507_143743.jpg

Have a map of faults in the area? Might be worth tracking if you find more out of place rocks.

There is a large plain near where I live which is flat right now but has sequences of much older rocks in the alluvium due to a huge block that was faulted down. At one time there were mountains, but they "fell" slowly, filling in the valleys and leaving a large flat plain after erosion leveled off the parts of the peaks which didn't sink completely underground. So, there are lots of out of place rocks there, and often they can indicate what lies underneath, or where "underneath" was 100 million years ago, which is now somewhere else.

4 hours ago, jasong said:

Have a map of faults in the area? Might be worth tracking if you find more out of place rocks.

There is a large plain near where I live which is flat right now but has sequences of much older rocks in the alluvium due to a huge block that was faulted down. At one time there were mountains, but they "fell" slowly, filling in the valleys and leaving a large flat plain after erosion leveled off the parts of the peaks which didn't sink completely underground. So, there are lots of out of place rocks there, and often they can indicate what lies underneath, or where "underneath" was 100 million years ago, which is now somewhere else.

Unfortunately there are no old maps for the area. What you are saying may be possible especially since the covering top layer (regolith) is 1.5m of mudstone. For all its worth we will open up the are where the rock came from and investigate further.

Just to spread the risk I have decided to sink a shaft on the claim where people are already mining while I still decide on the way forward on my own land. The guys are now 4 meters deep and have now reached competed rock which we are now drilling using a jack hammer and explosives. We will give the owner of the property 25% of whatever we get. Its a sort of tribute arrangement.

We are sinking a vertical shaft targeting the known proven reef 40m below. In a month's time we should get there. This project is just to diversify the risk. It is actually less risky because it is on the brownfield where people are already mining. Most of the miners abandon their shafts because of water  at around 70m. We are hopping to go beyond these levels as we will be having the proper pumping systems that they are generally reluctant to invest in.

We will collar the shaft soon enough

Below are the pictures

Shaft at start (2).png

Shaft at start (1).png

• Like 3

Fascinating, it's like watching a forum version of Gold Rush Africa, except with just good parts, the mining. Keep us all updated!

If you ever are looking for volunteers let me know. Especially if you need anyone to operate a detector, which I guess probably is not something needed if you have that much mudstone. But if I could get away from work for a trip long enough, I'd love to see all the mining in Africa firsthand, that stuff just isn't happening over here much anymore.

• Like 1