I bought a new dredge last fall and I'm fixing it up for cold weather dredging. Added drain plugs, TinyTac, new matting float plugs, some paint and hot water.

Now I'm working on the hoses. I am going to add CamLoc fittings for the pump intake and pressure sides.

My question is what to do with the jetlog inductor ports?????

Anyone have an idea that worked well for them?

IMG_1502.thumb.JPG.218fa5dd0a4bd44febcff757e915beb5.JPG

I should do that.  I just leave the hoses on it which causes problems as they like to flail around.

I glued an extra gasket in the over size coupler for the suction hose because I seen where they don't seal well.  I used a 6" cam lock gasket available at Alaska Rubber.  Even if you don't put the extra gasket in there it is nice to have one anyway.  

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Bear, didn't even know there is a gasket in the jet log, learning something new every day:blink:

My welding sucks so..........Jets in the shop getting nipples welded on.

Next issue, anyone figure a way to add cam locks to the pump intake. That black PVC nipple appears to be a custom piece.

Way back when we used to sell Pro-Mack gold dredges. Really great rigs, and one thing I like about the was that their version of the Keene P-180 pump had a 2-1/2" threaded intake. It came with a swivel coupler but could obviously be swapped for a quick release.

In theory a machine shop could thread a Keene pump intake the same way but it would depend on the pump. The Keene P-180 with plastic intake you would just knock the plastic cuff out and thread the outside of the remaining beefy aluminum intake area.

The plastic cuff affects the intake to impeller tolerance and may need to be compensated for somehow. See this thread on that subject.

Other pumps might need some aluminum welding to get the job done. The main thing is never do anything that results in any restriction on the intake side of the pump. That will rob dredge power as quick as anything else you can do.

Given all that it was the one thing I never got around to. Sliding that particular hose on and tightening the clamp is pretty easy compared to the other stuff, especially if you use a t-handle clamp to avoid screwdrivers. The output and jet hoses were always another matter, prone to blowing off unless double clamped very well.

IMG_0252.JPG

• Like 1

I thought installing quick disconnects to the intake was going to be straight forward and a simple PVC slip fitting with a threaded end! Well that Keene fitting is not standard 2 1/2 PVC pipe.

I googled for any info on the intake with a Cam Loc fitting, looks like I'm the only one looking to do this. I did figure out you can replace the Keene fitting( Armadillo Mining 18.00 ea.) With that I decided to get creative. Reality set in and being we are looking at a low pressure suction connection I figured id just glue my 2 1/2 inch Cam Loc fitting to the PVC nipple. I ended up using Sikaflex 1a to do this.

Here is what I ended up with, hope it holds. IMG_1512.thumb.JPG.4cb2313b9516cb00dd0fe93b1ba55c0d.JPGIMG_1513.thumb.JPG.9535e66407a7c3bb3bcbebb107e25ce0.JPG

Steve, those T handle clamps are the best! I use em on anything I take on and off a lot.

For the pressure fittings I use Bandit center punch clamps. The only way those fail is with a hack saw.JS3139

The only bad part it takes a clamp tool to install and they are a bit pricy.

T30069

• Like 1

Hanging out with you guy's is getting expensive?

Got the jet back from the welding shop. Good to go!IMG_1521.thumb.JPG.0b4957364b8b57653fa0efbb765e3217.JPG

• Like 2