Prospecting Pants

Condor

I searched high and low for a decent pair of working pants that can handle the bending, stooping and kneeling of prospecting.  Military fatigues were close, but too many knockoffs and they weren't holding up.  A few months ago I began an online search and came up with some real winners.  Mind you, I have no vested interest in the company, no affiliation whatsoever, but I thought I would share my knowledge.  I bought 1 pair just to try them out.  They were so comfortable, I bought 3 more pairs and they are now my everyday pants, not just prospecting.

The company is Duluth Trading, the pants are called "firehose flex".  They make a bunch of other working pants, but these seemed right for my purpose.  Not cheap, but so far well worth the money for me.  The key is they are looser in the legs and have a gusseted crotch.  Now I'm not bragging that a man like me needs that extra crotch room, but they really make a difference for bending and crouching.  They are pretty lightweight, probably not warm enough for colder climates, but I think they make some with a lining.  I bought some for my 21 yr old son, he's a lot leaner and fitter than his old dad, so he wasn't that fond of them.  Oh well, its the thought that counts.  I'm not trying to spam you, just passing on some information I wish I'd  had a couple years ago.

• Like 1

I appreciate anyone posting anything that any of us may find useful. No matter what it is, if you give it a go prospecting or metal detecting and it works out well, pass it on. And do not be afraid to post links! I will certainly check them out myself.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/product/mens-duluthflex-fire-hose-pants-45507.aspx

post-1-0-45795600-1388459370_thumb.jpg

Condor,

Thanks. Haven't tried those yet.

I gave up on the Carhartt pants. The stiffness seemed to create holes and wear spots

sooner than about any other pants I've owned.

I've been getting the Bailey's Wild Ass double front jeans.

http://www.baileysonline.com/Clothing/Men-s-Clothing/Double-Knee-Pants/Wild-Ass/Wild-Ass-US-Made-Pre-Washed-Double-Front-Knee-Black-Denim-Pants.axd

They have held up extremely well and are made in the USA. Not an import like the Duluth firehose pants.

I haven't tried them yet, but they look very tough. Filson double tin pants. Made in seattle, cost 160.00.

They would probably require some breaking in, but I doubt you could wear them out.

Nobody in my area carries them and at 160.00 i don't want to buy on line. Will have to make a trip across the boarder in the new year.

Best of the holiday season, and have great 2014!

I have been hooked on Duluth Trading For many years. The firehouse stuff they make lives up to all their claims, pricy but worth it. If you get signed up with them, they will send out notices of sales that usually are very good. Their long tail t-shirts are in my opinion the best t's a man can buy! If Carhart made a premium line of stuff, it would be like Duluth's stuff.......nothing better than good stuff!

El Dorado Steve is right on. (Got a lot of Steve's on here)  After you make an initial purchase you will get an online discount coupon for either 20 or 25 percent off your next purchase.  The timing was great because I had decided I really liked my trial pair of pants and wanted to get more.  I took the gamble on their T shirts at the sale price, I prefer the 3 button henley style.  They are great shirts, I bought a weeks worth and wear them everyday.  I don't think anyone will be disappointed with Duluth products. 

Much lighter, cooler, and roomier than jeans.  Very comfortable for AZ weather, though I suspect too light for colder climates.  I took an unplanned dunk in water to my waist the other day.  I hung the pants over a boat rail, they dried in about 20 minutes in 75 degree temps.  Duluth makes other work pants including jeans with the same gusseted crotch section, I haven't needed anything other than the "firehose flex" cargo style.