Do You Have Any Targets Stuck In Your Mind That You Need Go Back To ?

52 minutes ago, bloodgold2 said:

Hi JW, well Tremain cut his hand quite badly the other week, so had 2 rounds of micro surgery to attach tendons. But get this they forgot to get him to sign the permission form, so they had to bring him back out to sign the form then put under again to finish the surgery. The moral of the story is, I said to him while your arm is in plaster you have the time to put out another vid. He agreed, as he has time on his hands some would say :smile: so let's see what happens.

Oh :sad: bummer..  not good to hear.. pass on our best wishes too Tremain

We hope all went well..  we wish him a very speedy recovery...

warmest regards

Jen & Mike

• Like 1

Great topic, lol I was going to post one about "the one that almost got away" same idea. 

It was Aug in southern Nevada HOT! and I was out exploring new washes. Went out farther than I should have, and just ran out of water. Told myself I would hit this last wash then beeline back to the truck. I was breaking every rule, walking to fast, not overlapping coil paths, coil to high off of the ground, and not working full width of wash. Really I was just in a hurry to get back. Well, I heard a little whisper with my ATX, and my first instinct was ground noise, and I kept walking. I got 3 or four steps away when I decided to go back. When I put the coil down, it was a solid signal. It  actually was my first signal for the day, so I figured bullet. Dug down 10 inches and saw a little glimmer of gold in a crack in the bedrock. Tried to pick it up and wouldn't budge. After prying, out pops a 10.8 gram20140706_173746.thumb.jpg.aa94e0528223a872d6874f6d58c8d7b6.jpg slug. Many lessons learned

• Like 8

This is like yarns around the campfire. Great stuff. I have one:

It was October 2008 and my wife and I had been scratching around looking for gold at Maryborough, which is a lovely little old gold mining town in Victoria, Australia. We were on a trip around the county (commonly called “doing a lap”).The day before we were due to leave, I was returning to the car near Blackman’s Lead late in the afternoon after about three hours swinging. It had been a hot session and I was worn-out from digging up countless pieces of junk and only a couple of very small bits of gold. However, as I swung the coil half-heartedly when nearing the car, the signal that stopped me was clear enough but not really welcome because I “knew” it was only more junk. But you can never be sure, so I wearily commenced digging. After I’d got down about 18 inches through the hard gravel and clay I’d reached the maximum depth that my small pick could achieve without widening the hole some more, so I decided that I would return next day to finish the job. So I re-filled the hole, but before I left I sneakily put a small piece of rusty tin on top of my dig to hopefully dissuade any other prospector who might happen to wander by.

However by next morning we decided we’d had enough so we packed up and headed west, leaving the undug target behind. But of course a prospector (even an amateur one) can’t forget about something like that, and countless times over the following couple of years I thought about the unfinished business in Maryborough, and questioned my hasty decision to not go back and finish the job. You might have left a valuable nugget behind? Has someone else (not as lazy as you) already retrieved your nugget, and is now driving around in a new Landcruiser? You’re an idiot, what were you thinking? You could have been rich instead of wandering around with your bum out of your strides.

Anyway in late 2010 we were once again at Maryborough and I was anxious to put this issue to rest. I was much better equipped now, with a bigger pick, a Garrett Pro-Pointer and a new crowbar that I’d just bought.  Locating the spot was simple enough and incredibly the decoy piece of rusty tin was still sitting imperiously on top of the old dig; more importantly the signal was still there.

So I started all over again, and after digging down about another 10 inches beyond my previous effort, the Pro-Pointer was telling me that that target was just below, and some careful scraping revealed the “nugget”:

nugget.jpg

A very rusty tomahawk head that some early-day prospector had left behind.

So it’s now 2017 and we are soon to head west again to resume our relentless search for the elusive metal. We are still not rich, my bum is still hanging out of my strides (figuratively speaking), but at least I don’t worry anymore about “the nugget I left behind”.

• Like 8

Love this topic! I have a single small rock to get back too! It was 40degrees C plus, late in the day and i was checking side creeks (pic 1) to find the source of gold in the main. Good signal with the ZED in HY/normal and HY/diff and with my pin pointer!!!! My pick is trying to pry the rock out in pic 2. Hoping it would be  nugget in a crack i was dismayed to pull out this one rock that looked the same as all the others (in front of my knee pic 3)...and i ditched it! Is the rock type arenite? Super hard...Anyhoo, for whatever brain fart at the time i left it behind! Bloodgold 2 have you guys found gold in this type of rock? ps sorry about the pic quality, i took snap shots from go pro footage on my mac.

the place.jpg

the rock in.jpg

the rock out.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Giddiup, yeah mate that type of country is very familiar to us.  Pic 1 and 2 are certainly where the little elusive critters hide in the gaps and cracks, and can take considerable effort to retrieve. Sorry bud the third pic is somewhat disheartening, that is a hot rock from my experience, some of them go off on a detector like a cracker others not so loud.I always give them a quick smash with my pick and if they are orange or red I just move on. Have I ever crushed and panned one ? The answer is no,out of interest now we have had the mini crusher turn up, will bring some of the louder ones home and get a assay done on them. Will keep you posted on the results.:smile:p.s thanks Jen and JW on your replies to Tremain, I will pass them on. pss, great yarns Col and Chris :smile: throw another log on the fire guys :smile:

• Like 1

Bg2-Do You See this .Its the face of a happy prospector Not!!!! :mellow: Cant imagine how Tremain's feeling about his hand...Lots of Hydrogen peroxide ...keep it clean....Any Idea How it Happened? what are your mates doing in the offseason to bust them selves up???? Dale and now Tremain. Give em Idahos Best Wishes for a speedy recovery!

Its warm finally!!! we've reached 0c this nite.

Cheers, Ig

• Like 1

1 hour ago, idahogold said:

Bg2-Do You See this .Its the face of a happy prospector Not!!!! :mellow: Cant imagine how Tremain's feeling about his hand...Lots of Hydrogen peroxide ...keep it clean....Any Idea How it Happened? what are your mates doing in the offseason to bust them selves up???? Dale and now Tremain. Give em Idahos Best Wishes for a speedy recovery!

Its warm finally!!! we've reached 0c this nite.

Cheers, Ig

Hi idahogold, apparently helping a mate prune his avocado trees with a chainsaw.  Warm at zero? Bugger that mate, is there anywhere warm over there to detect? Like kinda up around the mild 30c  for us North Queenslanders?:smile:

2 hours ago, bloodgold2 said:

Buggar.

june thru august mid to hi 20's......30c plus days a year here ? U can count 'em on 1 or 2 hands! :smile:

but then again youve gotto weigh that against ...this year 8 days into the 5 Month- of F@^%&n bs Cold Cussin Weather!  i.e. the Idaho version of Mang:ph34r:

• Like 1