Question For J. P. - Zed 19" Skidplate & The GPS

Are there any updates for the aftermarket skid plate for the 19" and could you comment why the GPS should not be used on ZED?

• Like 2

Thanks for the responce. I have been having troubles with the chattery threshold and with a complete restart, the chatter was gone. I don't always use the GPS and did not put the two together. From now on, I will use the GPS for find points and a time piece then turn it off.

Norm McQ

See...that's the great thing about this hobby, there's always hope, so many variables a tweek here, turn something else off there, or another setting and that spot I've lost hope for is born anew. I love it!

I have always turned the GPS on with the detector just as I do with the 3030.  What I didn't do until recently was turn on tracking.  I now like it.

I've gone back to my find points and found more with GPS help from the detector and I suspect I'll never stop using that.  It is probably worth a try to turn it off as Norm has suggested.

A friend of mine didn't want to use the GPS because it used too much power.  I've killed the battery a couple of times last summer by staying up all night and detecting for about 14 hours or so.  Then I used the 3030 battery to finish off the day.

Thanks for the question Norm and your answer JP.

Mitchel

always pay attention to what JP says. I however am very content with how my GPZ runs and performs. That being the case, I am not willing to give up using the integrated GPS tracking as it has become very important to my overall detecting strategy.

However, Minelab REALLY needs to at least double the memory included in the GPZ. I would like to go at least a solid week between memory dumps. As it is I keep running into memory limits that require more frequent dumps. Not a huge issue but annoying in the middle of my normal week long expeditions to have to break out the PC to dump the memory. A "Memory Remaining" indication would be nice also. I can keep rough track of Findpoints, but remaining track memory I either just do a preemptive memory dump, or run out of track memory in the middle of the day. Very annoying as I am now very much into building my "covered area" maps and hate it when I lose the tracking for part of a day.

• Like 2

Steve and JP,

You now make me think of the device we use most often that has memory and GPS ... our smart phones.

One time I went to the Minelab Detector Day here in Southern California.  It was about the same time the 3030 came out and Kevin Hogland had one at the ranch where the event was held.  We were all impressed that IT had GPS where we could put our Findpoints without using a separate Garmin GPS.

Some of us met a guy there who had developed an 'app' (newer idea at the time) that would track and have Waypoints and Findpoints.  He had this on his phone and was showing us how he was using it for his relic hunting.  He didn't need the GPS from Minelab!

Not all of those smart phones had GPSs then and I guess some of those that did had more of a battery life problem than those that didn't.  This might be the same technology that JP refers to as a 'resource hog' and maybe deserves an update from Minelab?

Steve is wanting some memory resources available which may not be possible on the present boards used for the 3030 or the 7000.

Dumping seems to be the best management method now as Dave, Steve and many others have discovered.

I hope that Minelab has the testing to show that these memory, power and resource issues don't actually affect the coil send and receive capabilities.  

Mitchel

• Like 1