Question For J. P. - Zed 19" Skidplate & The GPS

4 hours ago, phoenix said:

Mike have you tried using the inbuilt GPS to mark your camp/vehicle as a way point.   When I am in unfamiliar country I always mark my vehicle as a way point.   You know how thick it is up at Inglewood. One day I was up there, head down and wandering and at the end of the day if it hadn`t been for the 7000 GPS, I would have set off 180º in the wrong direction to get back to the troopy :blush:

cheers Dave 

G'day Dave,

as I said that was the first time I had actually used the GPS on the GPZ, I find it a bit time consuming setting it up and just use the small GPS/backtracker, 3 clicks on the buttons and off you go.  I will probably only use the on board GPS as a gridding tool when I'm on a new patch.   :smile:   Hope this makes sense.   

Cheers. 

Mike. 

hey Mike and Jen
is that the back tracker you bought a couple of years ago for about 35 bucks or was that one a dud?

When I sussed out the gps on the 7000 I gave my backtracker to Enio as a spare.    And what`s really funny is, about 2 weeks after I gave him mine, believe it or not, I drove over his and squashed it flat.   When he told me about it I said "well that`s why I gave you mine as a spare" :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
cheers dave

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I guess what I (and you apparently) find annoying is it would take so little to make the Minelab GPS system shine. With just a few changes I think just about everyone that currently uses some other GPS would use it. As it is the limitations are just enough to put people off and keep them using whatever they already have.

Hi Steve, yes this is exactly what I was saying. Hope all is well.

I use the program "locatier" as the back to base and coordinate recorder on my iPhone. The app always puts the last coordinate entered on the top of the list and it has never failed me. Very accurate using just satt signals.  I like the quick text in a location name and go.  It shows you how far you are away and what direction from all your recorded points as you scroll down the list.   My IPhone is in an Otterbox  and I carry my phone anyway as reception improves in remote areas.  I also carry a PLB (locater beacon) and have a 2nd car/buddy somewhere near by. Must admit I have not used the detector GPS beyond a play around.

RDD

• Like 1

3 hours ago, phoenix said:

hey Mike and Jen
is that the back tracker you bought a couple of years ago for about 35 bucks or was that one a dud?

When I sussed out the gps on the 7000 I gave my backtracker to Enio as a spare.    And what`s really funny is, about 2 weeks after I gave him mine, believe it or not, I drove over his and squashed it flat.   When he told me about it I said "well that`s why I gave you mine as a spare" :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
cheers dave

We use the orange bush tracker gps., they are small light weight, mark the car.. turn them back off. And off detecting you go.. if we do get to disoriented, turn them back on, very simple  to use.. the only thing we find with them is don't believe the arrow.. look at how many metres away from the car you are, the numbers start counting downward. If it does upwards.. well you know you are walking in the wrong direction .:rolleyes:

the bush can be very thick in the places we go. 

we also have the other bigger gps's.. just depends how far we plan to explore the bush on foot..  

The little green gps's we brought, while i reckon they work well. I find them "fiddly" lol

We still have them, need damn good eye sight as well, they are smaller than the orange ones, and they arent all the big.. but the screen is easy to read on them.. 

lol you flattened a gps.. lucky you are a good friend and gave him yours in preparation :biggrin:

this happened a couple of years back.. in W.A

we were all having lunch. Sat in the chairs behind the cars didn't we :blink: well it was the best place to place our camp chairs. Nice smooth dusty track..( dust had settled )

Anyway finished lunch.. we all moved to the next location, and one of the troops.. says " "i can not find my uhf walkie talkie" he hunted hi and low in his car.. almost striped everything out of his loaded up car...nope no luck.. so back to where we had lunch ( we had to travel that way back to get back to camp  ) and there it was.. it still worked, but the screen was damaged. It was right where Mike had to reverse the car back onto the track.. whoops!!

Mike offered to buy him another one.. but he wouldn't hear of it..  

Mike still felt bad :sad:

Whoops again we went way off topic..

Mike brought a skid plate for his 19" Gpz7000 coil

Its a tight fit, but his still placed tape around. 

He said it glides over the grass now.

IMG_2875.JPG.d3aca9495ed49dc957d62aef326bc4cc.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jen58 said:

Anyway finished lunch.. we all moved to the next location, and one of the troops.. says " "i can not find my uhf walkie talkie" he hunted hi and low in his car.. almost striped everything out of his loaded up car...nope no luck.. so back to where we had lunch ( we had to travel that way back to get back to camp  ) and there it was.. it still worked, but the screen was damaged. It was right where Mike had to reverse the car back onto the track.. whoops!!

Mike offered to buy him another one.. but he wouldn't hear of it..  

Mike still felt bad :sad:

Jen that is so funny.
What happened with Enios` is.
Enio carries a back pack when he is detecting . He carries everything in this backpack except the kitchen sink.  But I might be selling the guy short, maybe there is a kitchen sink in there as well.  Anyway one weekend when he stayed at my place, in the morning, unbeknownst to me, he placed his backpack against the front left wheel of the troopy, and when I drove out of the garage I ran over his backpack with the back left wheel.  The ONLY thing in the backpack I squashed was the orange GPS.
What are the chances of that?
Dave

• Like 2

4 hours ago, phoenix said:

Jen that is so funny.
What happened with Enios` is.
Enio carries a back pack when he is detecting . He carries everything in this backpack except the kitchen sink.  But I might be selling the guy short, maybe there is a kitchen sink in there as well.  Anyway one weekend when he stayed at my place, in the morning, unbeknownst to me, he placed his backpack against the front left wheel of the troopy, and when I drove out of the garage I ran over his backpack with the back left wheel.  The ONLY thing in the backpack I squashed was the orange GPS.
What are the chances of that?
Dave

Well Dave for me detecting and carring everything except kitchen sink is walk in a park.In army i carried around 60 kilos on the back.( to add fun i was attached to chemical biological unit). And never found a gold.

That skid plate looks interesting.Heavy?Full plate?

GoldEN

• Like 1

One way to keep fit hey Golden?

the skid plate is very light weight. Just a dark colour. 

IMG_3353.JPG.d49f43f0f6a2a2091f06053c9eac28f7.JPG

Underneath

IMG_3352.JPG.55ad0568eb2ee9eefad561de1354c668.JPG

• Like 1