Fisher made it clear (accidently) a long time back what their new gold machine would be - it would utilize more than one frequency at a time. It will process signals in ways not done before. It will require fewer controls. It will provide new modes of operator feedback.

Unfortunately the 2016 release date which was shown on the "leaked" information was not met.  

Why does it take so long - what are they waiting for?  Here's something their Chief Designer, Dave Johnson posted a while back about the pace of detector development.

It's a compromise between what marketing department wants to sell, and what engineering department is capable of delivering. Some products require years of development of new technology before they're ready to sell-- for example, the CZ was ten years between initial concept and product introduction, and the development process went through 18 different prototype designs.

• Like 3

Well, and now rumors point to 2018.

Truly new detectors have always taken a long time to get to market. It is one thing to repackage existing tech, quite another to debug something really new. Five to ten years is probably realistic. And things always look easier starting out then they prove to be. Getting that last ten percent working right can be near impossible, and very many planned detectors never see the light of day.

Really all that has changed these days is the Internet and the ease with which information spreads. Back in the day I only knew what I read in a magazine or saw at a dealer. New detectors just happened.

• Like 4

Truly new detectors have always taken a long time to get to market.

Even new stuff that isn't totally new tech can take a while. I seem to remember that Minelab's African focused gold machine (which turns out to be the GM1000) was originally announced for 2016. Accomplishing the changes that get the last 10 percent working right as Steve says is the difference between a marginal detector and a great one.

• Like 1

Makro/Nokta seem to be speeding up the proscess and their open communication with their customer base might kick the other manufactures in the but and get them moving if they start digging in to thier sales. 

Bryan

We customers probably understand very little about the difficulties of achieving real breaks with established processes when it comes to metal detection in the ground.  Nevertheless, it's success that counts. The greatest effort - if it doesn't result in a product brought to market - is an effort without meaning to the customer.

My speculations about what might be "just around the corner" put no gold in anybody's poke.  A detector available today ( or whithin a few weeks), might do so!  So there you have it  - as always - "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush".

Not just detectors. JP was testing large coil prototypes for the GPZ from day one, but getting that last ten percent took an additional two years after the GPZ release, also running late. I have to admit I no longer pay attention to projected release dates. Always fun to speculate though.

I was waiting for either a new sdc or 7000 to come out before buying, but it seems what we have already won't be updated (other than the software update) for at least two years. Might be a new coin and relic machine on the way (from Minelab) has anyone heard anything about that?