Springs Here! Be Careful For Snakes

Springs Here! Please be Careful on Sun warming area's :rolleyes: Both You and Your Dogs! There is a Poisonous snake vaccine available ask your vet!

For those w/experience in "Rattler Country" the "rattlin in the video is definitely on the quieter" and deadlier! (hard to pickup while detecting") side of what you hear in the field....there is also med.- loud. and even ragin' buzz saw Louder Crotalus' in the American Bush!

Post any USA or OZ reptile encounters during Gold hunts

• Like 5

We've had 400mil of rain over Jan/Feb so ground water is every where. Every puddle has a bazzilion frogs in it so the snakes are having a feast. If I don't see at least one or 2 snakes a day I'm not looking hard enough.

Last week I was searching for something in a box stored under my bed. Pulled the box out and spotted a snake skin. He'd used the bed leg to help him shed. Looked like a decent sized Mulga snake.

Slept on the tray of my ute that night and dismantled my room the next day. Couldn't find the bugger anywhere, hopefully long gone.

• Like 5

dj- were 50f today central Idaho,     thaw Finally arrived,   going trout fishin...Cheers, Ig

3 hours ago, Digger Jones said:

Spring ya it's only minus 22C here in northern Alberta!

Only snake seciles!

Man I miss the desert!

• Like 1

Guest Tnsharpshooter

The mighty rattlesnake,,I have some experience with these,,actually quite a few close encounters.

My experience with the larger Eastern diamondback,,and the timber rattlesnake.

I have almost been bitten. on 3 different occasions while small game hunting.

The rattlers deserve respect,,their bite can cause death,,limb loss,,tissue loss.

I claim to be no expert on this subject,,but will share my thoughts based on my experiences.

Heeding here,,could save your life,etc.

Mother nature created a creature here called the rattlesnake.

Question is do they actually rattle??

Yes and no.

When they are very threatened or are actually trying to bite to kill for food,,they don't actually rattle,,,instead the noise emitted from the tail (rattlers with call them) is a buzzing sound.

Now after a rattle snake is threatened and starts "buzzing" as they become less and less threatened the buzzing will transition to a rattling sound (caused by a slower motion of the tail).

Rattlesnakes are generally very alert,,while they are set up for ambush style attack (coiled up) and when they are stretched out basking in the sun or shade depending on the ambient temp.

So what can a person expect when out and they encounter one of these reptiles??

First a person may never see the snake before they are bitten,,or even after sometimes.

The same goes for a rattler rattling or buzzing,,you might not ever see,,or may but it's too late after you are bitten.

Some thing very important needs to be stated here,,,and this will help guide you maybe if you do encounter one.

Mother nature did a wonder here for rattlesnakes.

Some folks may believe these kinds of snakes just depend solely on ther ability to strike to both protect themselves and acquire food.

This is only partially true.

A rattlesnake when they are either rattling or buzzing,,,this sound made,,,will not sound like it is coming from where it is actually being made (physically) as the snake vibrates/shakes its tail.

So this is why a rattler is even more successful when trying to acquire food by biting a bird or rodent.

The rattler's victim is tricked by the sound seemingly coming from a different place than where the snake is actually,,,in doing so the rattler gets the jump on the quarry-- they are none the wiser of the snake's exact location until it is too late,, when bitten.

So how does all this here play for us humans??

Most times as we approach a rattler,,as wee near they will go into alert status with the buzzing(could be rattle also),,,and if we progress,,,there is a high likelihood of being bitten.

So what to do if you are walking and hear a rattler buzzing or rattling??

First and foremost,,,stop immediately.

A person can use their eyes,,,but do not progress even if you see no snake.

Do not think for one minute,,you know the snake's physical location,,and will just walk around.

Best advice,,,back track no matter where you think the snake is,,,unless you are 100 percent sure of its location (you see with your own eyes).

Thinking for example based on the noise being made by snake,,the snake is on the left and you will step right,,and vice versa BIG mistake.

Folks should carry snake bite kits,,cell phones,,a buddy,,something to make a tourniquet out of,,when out in the wild. The snake chaps are handy,,there are several different models to be had,,,not overly expensive.  I have a set that come below the knee,,can be removed rather quickly if needed,,during breaks and to cool off if warmer weather.

Definitely watch when kneeling,,,a rattle snake bite where venom is transferred to head or neck--- likely fatal.

Be safe out there.

Not a snake, but a Bungarra. This bugger sneaks into my room if I leave the door open looking for a feed or stuff to steal.

He's an old boy about 6 foot long, and if I am laying on my bed his tail is at the foot of the bed and his head is at the top end looking up at me. I can hand feed him and have only been bitten once and that was only because he couldn't tell where the chicken ended and the hand started..my fault not his.

If the door is shut he will climb the fly screen until I let him in. Every now and then he will do a snatch and run from my dirty washing basket or anything I've left laying on the floor.

So far he's nicked 3 Tee shirts, 1 and a 1/2 pairs of thongs, 2 pairs of shorts, a fork and a tea spoon and a perfectly good pair of underpants.

I haven't seen him for about a month now, I have my suspicions the local aboriginals have visited while I was out and have now eaten him.

001a_zpsrwiw0dfi.jpg

011z_zpsrrlm4evc.jpg

002s_zpsi2s9up52.jpg

• Like 8
  • Oh my! 1

Cmon Steve you could cut his nails little. How he can put that thongs on. 

Thanks for sharing. Cool photos. 

Seems you have new pet but I preferred Elvis. 

Stay safe. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, madtuna said:

Not a snake, but a Bungarra. This bugger sneaks into my room if I leave the door open looking for a feed or stuff to steal.

That is too cool! Hope he didn't end up on someone's dinner plate. Thanks for sharing the pictures! 

• Like 1