New Detector Tech??

27 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

How do AKA "single frequency units include the "ground zone" in their detection range that other companies eliminate" and how does this make them superior?

Again I am not a detector engineer but I will try my best at explaining this. The ground zone is a detection zone between high conductors and iron on the conductivity scale. Most manufacturers totally eliminate this zone because it results in a lot of falsing resulting from ground conditions. AKA have somehow managed to include this zone without all the falsing, one of the reasons why proper GB is critical on AKA units.

As targets get closer to the limits of detection they go from the non ferrous range to the ferrous range as per traditional detectors but in fact, what really happens they go from non ferrous to the ground zone then to the ferrous zone before being lost at depth. So detectors that include this ground zone will have an extra bit of depth over ones that eliminate it.

Is this all bull, I dont know for sure, its only something I picked up from the AKA lads. I do not that AKA's have being the deepest VLF detectors I have ever used and they tend to get a lot more falsing very high up in the conductivity scale over other detectors.

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

How do AKA "single frequency units include the "ground zone" in their detection range that other companies eliminate" and how does this make them superior?

If I'm interpreting that quote right, it sounds like AKA is saying that they have found a way to detect targets that fall within the ground balance "hole". I know that Minelab already did something like this with the SD-2100 pulse induction where essentially there were two detectors in one, each with its own ground balance control, thereby each one detecting targets that fell within the others ground balance hole. Perhaps AKA is doing something similar with VLF?

Its so long since I used a Whites, an XLT back in the 90 that I forgot the low negative range. One difference though AKA put it up into the high positive range. Not a clue what Nokta do. How about trying one out? and seeing what most AKA users see and that being a serious deep machine. I know there is no dealer network in the US, but we do in Europe, other makes do not either and are widely accepted in the US.

7 hours ago, Ringmoney said:

Like most others this tech stuff goes over my head a bit, I come from a mechanical engineering background not an electronic one. I know this sounds just like other multi frequency detectors, but according to this engineer, he claims that this detector is the

" first ever detector to simultaneously transmit and receive 2 frequencies at the same time "

Whites, Fisher and Minelab multi frequencies have also being quoted in that they do not do so in real life thus this is first ever truly real multi frequency detector. Hence why I am asking is there any substance in these statements?

Fisher CZ and White's DFX/V3 all simultaneously transmit & receive 2 (or 3) frequencies at the same time, and use continuous-time (so-called frequency domain) demodulators. What I call "Concurrent MultiFrequency," or CMF.

Minelab BBS/FBS/FBS2 all sequentially transmit & receive 2 frequencies, and use discrete-time demodulators. What I call "Sequential MultiFrequency," or SMF.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Geotech said:

Fisher CZ and White's DFX/V3 all simultaneously transmit & receive 2 (or 3) frequencies at the same time, and use continuous-time (so-called frequency domain) demodulators. What I call "Concurrent MultiFrequency," or CMF.

Minelab BBS/FBS/FBS2 all sequentially transmit & receive 2 frequencies, and use discrete-time demodulators. What I call "Sequential MultiFrequency," or SMF.

Well that solves that so, lesson learned the Ruskies are full of it :biggrin:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ringmoney said:

The ground zone is a detection zone between high conductors and iron on the conductivity scale.

Not in a VLF, the "ground zone" (ferrite) is a pure magnetic response (no eddy response) and has a 0° phase shift. Everything from there up to 90° represents ferrous content (includes some amount of magnetic response), and from 90° to 180° represents non-ferrous. By definition, there are no eddy targets in the "ground zone."

A traditional PI is different, as it doesn't give a reactive response. The "ground zone" is usually a GB point set for magnetically viscous material, which can mimic a certain eddy response. There seems to be some confusion over whether you're describing a VLF or PI.

• Like 4