Checklist Of Things Not To Forget When Heading Out

Went for a drive down the Feather River Canyon yesterday.  Beautiful day, lots of water everywhere.  With lots of water, comes lots of bugs. As the sun was starting to set, the mosquitoes and buffalo gnats were horrendous. So make sure bug repellant is in your bag.  

Lots of water made for a good scouring of the riverways. Should make for a good prospecting and detecting season. 

• Like 4

Scott 

Seems some of us CRS. I know for sure I do. I know I forgot both my picks in me pickup and ride mine away. I got rigged up ready to go and stayed swinging. Found a great signal went for the pick and damn I don't even have one. I left my detector there as a friend was detecting not far off. I rode back and forth and dug a really great 69 caliber lead ball. After that day I won't forget my pick. And my pack has one MRE and two gallons of water and spare batteries and pinpointer and nope no pick. 

• Like 1

Been there done that.

Even detected with one snake gator and look everywhere for another one until i came back to the car.

Sure never put another one on, was rushing to detecttttttttttttt.

But as Phoenix said i carry everything with me (except kitchen sink ).

I have everything spare what i need to detect, leads,  batteries, cords,  chargers, headphones, scoops etc

We have proverb "who carry doesn't beg":biggrin:

Sure when you drive couple hours to goldfields you want to be fully operational.

Not for this particular reason but i always detect with someone, many times in past we camp together many many of us.

So plenty spare detectors or if you want to try someone else machine etc.Great socializing hobby and for me this is what hobby is about.

I am so proud of this culture of detecting and of my detecting mates every single one of them.

Its a care free if you forget anything or even you just turn up without any gear.Sure you will be looked after and shown the basics.

Yes this is livelihood of some and many like to hunt the gold alone.

For me they are very very brave people.

I am sure many goldfields in USA has their changeless with all sort of things from weather condition, wild animals etc.

Like here this hobby can be deadly if you forget even one little thing.

So before i leave i check 3 times i have everything in.Not just detecting gears but things which makes detecting possible and bearable.

Just to mention few as sunscreen, first aid kit, backtracker, gps, extra water, mozzies and flies net.

I also carry many clothes to change if my socks /boots get wet.

I can go on and on but i actually have a list of things i check before i leave.

Its not hard to do it and just tick off before you go.

Dont forget main thing -our life is more important then .anything else. Dont try to save couple dollars and neglect your own (and friends safety.)

Good luck and stay safe.

GoldEN

• Like 4

Scott, Bug repellant is also a must pack where I detect in summer....and for night detecting with a headlamp you need to pack a head net to keep all the flying bugs from hitting you in the face. 

I look at the Feather river posts/videos with envy....some of my best detecting days and picking up sunbaker days have been on rivers immediately after massive floods.

RDD  

• Like 2

I never go out here without a snake bandage as the buggers are everywhere at the moment. Usually see at least 1 a day and often more when detecting and poking it around fallen logs etc. Stupidly, I kept forgetting and leaving it in the ute and often that is klm's from where I end up.

A couple of months ago I had to take care of some camels that shot off into the spinifex. Off I went in hot pursuit on foot. I got about 1klm in and realised where I was, so gingerly picked my way back to the ute and saw 4 snakes on the way.  2 Mulgas, a Gwadar and a Death Adder. Wonder how many I didn't see?

Got in touch with a mate who is a leather worker and he knocked me up an absolute ripper belt pouch specifically for the bandage, so now it's on me the moment I put my pants on in the morning.

Truth be told, out here even with an EPIRB and the bandage, by the time they find me I'll probably be a half rotted corpse. Can bet my most excellent hand crafted leather belt pouch will mysteriously disappear too. Rotten thieving buggers! Stealing stuff of a dead body :angry:

• Like 3