GPZ Settings

6 hours ago, Jonathan Porter said:

As an example if you listen to a loud volume for long periods it will take your brain at least an hour or even longer to readjust to a lower volume level thereby giving the operator the false impression a target signal is weak when in actual fact it is the operators brain that is controlling the perceived volume levels.

I agree, I also talked about this a few years ago, I think it was posted here. It's called sensory adaptation, the same way we get used to strong smells and then don't notice them anymore after an hour of exposure - same happens with our hearing.

I have the same general philosophy as you do with minimizing extraneous noise and just trying to concentrate on the targets. I get plenty of ground info still that way because all I need are subtle indicators when it's changing. The ideal detector to me is one that's entirely quiet on everything except actual targets, as with radio telescopes it's always a noise problem, get rid of noise and we are left with perfect resolution and can see a galaxy over.

Another potentially interesting thing I mentioned a few years ago too involving settings is that our hearing is non-linear, which is something that is almost never discussed in terms of detecting but should be. This fact was semi-exploitable on the GPX series by emulating a compressor with audio controls. We can dynamically expand the range of volumes and hone in on those tiny mouse sqeeks. Kinda like you can expand the VDI range on a VLF by changing frequencies (well, conceptually anyways but different). However on the GPZ I was not able to replicate it, my theory being that they were analog controls on the GPX and digital audio on the GPZ, but I really have no idea since I'm not sure how they are built so just guessing there. The audio controls are different between the two though for sure, I know I've seen you mention that a couple times here JP in reference to other things too.

I saw a forum member in Australia was building a compressor for the GPZ last year but not sure how it turned out. If I ever get around to building my own booster pack I'm going to incorporate one in it though, even on the GPX I think it'd work better than trying to fiddle with the volume limit and volume controls and would give true expansion.

I think we can all really take detecting to the next level in places where the competition is high by thinking about concepts such as these and how/when they can be put to good use, and it will often be the difference between a guy that finds something every day and the guy who wonders what kind of voodoo the other guy is using. :biggrin:

Although I have to say - I used to sweat over settings and efficiency a lot more when I was mostly hitting old gold fields where you have to find the crumbs that others missed. It's much smoother sailing when going out exploring and finding new places where it really doesn't matter if a few are left behind and it's more just about getting in the zone out there and enjoying it. In places like that I have no problem running in Low Smoothing (I know, blasphemy) just because its more enjoyable to me. It's too bad that's getting harder every day but that's the nature of gold I guess.

• Like 4

Hey JasonG, JP, or anyone else....talking about sensory/hearing adaptation, do you change your tones on the detector, while detecting for long periods, or tend to just leave them alone?

P.S. Great thread Chris....

Dave

• Like 2

I sometimes change the tone a little, especially when I start finding the tone irritating. Also if I feel I am going numb to that tone...

Doug Stone always advised taking a break from detecting to refresh and give the ears and brain a rest.

fred

• Like 4

I sometimes change tone and take relatively frequent brakes compared to others. Even if its just for a minute or two. My brain gets fuzzy after a while from constant threshold and I will notice that I'm getting sloppy when detecting.

• Like 1

I can`t run a high pitch tone a lot of detector operators like. To me that`s a mosquito buzzing around in my head and it drives me crazy. I run a low tone with a threshold I can only just hear and I never feel the need to alter it.
Dave

• Like 6

I don't change my tone much, mostly because I run my detector pretty quiet and I like having the targets have the same tone every time since they are generally far between.

• Like 2

Also what do a lot of folks use on their user button on the ZED, ex: Gold Mode, sensitivity, volume, threshold pitch, ect? I tell you what, these ZED's sure are a lot easier to operate than the GPX series detectors were...

Dave.

5.jpg

• Like 2

Typically it makes sense to assign the user button to the function you find yourself changing the most during a detecting session. For me it's the Ground Balance Mode. 

• Like 8

JW - I agree 100% with your coil control comments.  I would also like to use the swing arm but I haven't found a good way to hang my pick high enough not to be heard and still be accessible.  Therefore I need the arm to hold the pick.  I will probably sew or hook a leather hook at the top of my backpack.  Currently I sometimes drop it through the backpack loop.