Minelab Gpx 4500/5000 Tips And Tricks??

Post any tips when switching coils or "going from mild to hot ground "or" Big coil 18 plus size" detector settings that need switching?

Or any thing else" that comes to mind?:rolleyes:When operating the Minelab Gpx-4500/5000's...

The Guy's w/ the Zed's are the 1%.and deserve a $10g machine! I watched some "Aussies" $$$Payoff their Zedz in 90days! upon it first debut :laugh:

..Im sure there's a "Bunch" of newbies' like"Me" out there/on here...that got into p/i/ during the last 24months.

Because we could finally $$$ afford to! And at $2600 for a gpx45! Thanks Minelab and Rob'sDetector's!

I "appreciate" all posts/responses I've Read thruout the "forum" archived&current and take heart of "Everything" I can on these Great Machines!

And Feel Blessed" to be Carrying one! Just like my "Mates Down Under" Thanks! :biggrin:

Cheers, Ig

Hot Ground Balance below;

• Like 4

For newbies or novice check that your detector is not  set  in  Cancel mode. 

I found this hard way.  

Well first ever time I went detecting I hired GPX5000. Knowing absolutelly nothing about gold and detecting generous mate set up my detector. Thanks Sean.

Sure enough after half an hour I had my first ever nugget half grammar in now famous Laanecoorie bash goldfield somewhere In German gully. 

I was amazed how machine was quiet I had to check few times if it was on.  And it was. 

That afternoon after lunch I was so keen to go again and 3 of us went again for few hours. Sure my machine was so quiet I happily detected so keen. 

Once I came close to my car and realize machine doesn't really hear much. 

It was nice couple hours detecting in cancel thanks to my new mates. 

(It was afternoon prank and at least I learned  something that day)

So if your machine is exceptionally quiet please check your panels. 

If is all good and there is not any noise you are not detecting in Australia ?

I also like to ground balance my machine every few steps. 

One of best tips I got is learn ur machine the best you can. Instead of using automatic frequency button take time and practice with a gold nugget every single frequency starting from 1 to the end. Move up one at time and check response again. The one which  best respond keep detecting in it. 

It might take u couple hours to go through all of them but I think is time well spent. 

Not all detectors are same and not all perform the best and same in same settings. 

Clean up your coils regularly. Take plate and clean them properly and re- tape them.

GoldEn 

• Like 3

Talking about Cancel I detected with a fella a few years back who always used cancel with a 14x9NF mono.We tried in vein to explain but he was adamant his 5000 ran so quiet in this mode.He did eventually walk on a very shallow patch of about 3 or 4 pieces of a couple of grams each.

• Like 2

I don`t know if you would call this a tip or a trick or none of the above, but when I had a 5000 I always detected in "fixed" tracking and I would consistently be giving the quick track button a quick hit, maybe every swing.  If I ever got a iffy target I never gound balanced over the target, I would go off to the side and balance there.  And I never pumped the coil with the 5, only side to side.
 Anyway, that`s how I did it.
Dave

• Like 2

Get a Garret DeepSeeker VLF detector and spend a season or three  on the hottest ground you can find. If you have  learnt how to ground balance, pinpoint and listen to all type of response you have got it made. If you don't enjoy the pain get a GP Minelab  or better and spend a lot of time using it.

• Like 2

Hi Ig, sometimes when my settings are dialled in enhance on a 4500 say on gain 10 you will get a  fast chatter noise from some noisy ground types. I will then often try out Sens Extra and put the gain down to 6-9.  You need to swing slower then you normally would but the setting has surprised me. You can still get broad groaning ground noise, but any targets will scream. It does not work well where there are lots of hot rocks...they scream too

Next time you get a faint deep target, switch to sens extra and see what it does to the signal even if you dial the gain down to say 4. 

• Like 3