Late 1800's Ruins Bonanza

Hi folks, the last week or so I've been progressively detecting an area opposite some old ruins with the Deus, both on V3.2, and lately V4.0 (in Australia).

Plenty of iron to deal with nearer to the ruins, not so bad in the area I'm detecting, just annoying small pieces of roofing iron that often sound a little tempting when at depth.

Most of the coins found were Victorian era English pennies and half pennies, with the odd silver sixpence & threepence.  Oldest coin so far was the 1860's, and the most out of place coin was an 1880 US Indian Head penny.  Have also found eight very collectable 1800's dog registraton tags so far, and the coin total has just eclipsed 20.

Yesterday turned up a surprise find, an English nickel plate Gold Sovereign holder, so there is the good possibility of finding some gold coins at thie site.

Hope you enjoy the pics, and yes, all these finds were all unbelieveably from the same site - and still going!:ohmy:

IMG_20170306_185129.jpg

IMG_20170310_203914.jpg

IMG_20170310_204122.jpg

IMG_20170313_194541.jpg

IMG_20170313_204032.jpg

IMG_20170316_200447.jpg

IMG_20170316_204651.jpg

IMG_20170318_205547.jpg

IMG_20170318_205714.jpg

IMG_20170318_205924.jpg

1489399348_img_20170313_204103.jpg

1489399324_img_20170313_204015.jpg

1489660055_thrus_2_coins.jpg

satpenny3.jpg

satsovereign.jpg

IMG_20170310_154552.jpg

satpin.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks Paulito, has been a fun site to detect, very easy digging too which helps with the target count at the end of the day.

The only downside was the spider webs strung between every second tree, nothing like a full web plastering your face (and thinking where's the spider gone to).:biggrin:

Impressive haul, and great job presenting with your photos.

Do you know what those gears are from?  I've found some very similar objects (two today, in fact) and have been leaning towards clock parts.  But who carries around clocks (other than pocket or wrist watches) in the field?

Guest Tnsharpshooter

Nice bunch of finds.

I would be in hog heaven in that site.

Thanks for sharing.

A stray IH coin,,what a journey it has made.

What a great spot and so many interesting items found.

It must be hell of detecting fun.

Well done.

Hope there is plenty more but did you say spider web?

I run in opposite direction.:)

Looking forward to update and more finds.

Golden

• Like 1

15 hours ago, fredmason said:

Is a gold sovereign holder similar to a coin purse...seems a bit flashy...

nice finds

fred 

Hi Fred, yes it basically a purse.  One side to pop in sovereigns and half sovereigns, and the other side for the smaller English silver coins.  The higher quality ones come in silver.

15 hours ago, fredmason said:

Is a sovereign holder similar to a coin purse...seems a bit flashy...

nice finds

fred 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Impressive haul, and great job presenting with your photos.

Do you know what those gears are from?  I've found some very similar objects (two today, in fact) and have been leaning towards clock parts.  But who carries around clocks (other than pocket or wrist watches) in the field?

Definitely clock parts, you also commonly come across the inner frames from them as well.  Also think I came across an actual clock face with a wall pattern engraved on it.  I really would like to find a complete silver fob watch, always seem to find just the outer bezels, or rusted inner workings - gold would be even better.:wink: