Basic Fisher Gold Bug Only $317

I was advising a guy on a basic machine and Google popped this up. Not sure what it means but  Walmart dropped the price of the basic Gold Bug to only $317 https://tinyurl.com/knkwpym

This is the model without manual ground balance, ground grab only and 5" coil, that normally sells for $499. Every bit as good as the $649 Gold Bug Pro, just lacks that manual ground balance. At $317.00 I have to fight the impulse to buy one just because the price is so low for a decent machine. They also rolled the $599 Teknetics Gamma 6000 (a coin detector) back to $356, a huge price reduction. With all the First Texas price reductions lately does smell like something is up.

Anyway, for a second detector or somebody looking to get into nugget detecting cheap with what I consider to be the best available entry level model, here you go.

Difference Between Fisher Gold Bug Models

IMG_0267.JPG

• Like 2

Steve

Something is coming. 

The company is not healthy and just need to move inventory to stay afloat.

With all the detector companies it's reach a saturation point.

Maybe they just like us.

Chuck

Funny how people always jump to the conclusion that companies are in trouble. Minelab lowered the price of the GPZ and "oh no, they are in trouble!"

You could be right Chuck but personally I am very doubtful that First Texas is in trouble at all when it comes to detectors. They do make other things however like night vision stuff and you never know when cash requirements in one division might affect another.

When I look at First Texas detectors and what they sell for and what I think it costs to crank them out, the first words that come to my mind are "cash cow".

• Like 1

Steve

You're right what I put down first is the first thing people think of.

I tell you what I'll do and that is they are just down the road from me so maybe I'll take a drive to have a talk.haha

Whatever the problem we'll never know that's if there is a problem.

They making some great detectors so I hope they stay around for a long time.

Chuck

On 3/20/2017 at 11:53 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

This is the model without manual ground balance, ground grab only and 5" coil, that normally sells for $499. Every bit as good as the $649 Gold Bug Pro, just lacks that manual ground balance. At $337 I had to fight the impulse to buy one just because the price is so low for a decent machine.

Had mine out yesterday with three coils (First Texas 7in x 11in, Coiltek 6in round [prototype], and stock 5in round).  I also own the Fisher 5in X 10in and Nel Attack 15in, but didn't take them along yesterday.   I really like that detector.  7x11 and 6in coils were picking up some EMI, which didn't bother me when I was swinging, only when I put the detector down to dig.  5 in was quiet.  That's the first time I've ever had EMI noise with the Gold Bug Pro.  Most of the time I use the Ground Grab, but occasionally tweak with the manual adjustment option, so that argues a bit for the Pro model (although what one is willing to pay for that feature is certainly an issue).

On 3/20/2017 at 11:53 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

They also rolled the $599 Teknetics Gamma 6000 (a coin detector) back to $356, a huge price reduction.

I thought the MSRP on that one used to be $499....  I've seen them at Bass Pro Shops for that, and recall looking up the price on Teknetics home webpage, but that was a couple years ago.  I've used the Gamma some for coin hunting, and it's a nice detector, similar to the Gold Bug in many ways (no surprise since engineer Jorge Saad has written about the evolution of the Frat Brothers + F5 + Gold Bug lines).  Unlike the Gold Bug and its nearly identical siblings (F19, Tek G2 and G2+), the Frat Brothers (Tek Omega, Gamma, Delta, and Alpha) can be operated with concentric coils as well as the DD's. 

I recall last year Teknetics had a fire sale (only through certain dealers, not widely advertised/facilitated) on the Omega 8000.  That was announced here by one of the chosen dealers.  Seems like it was somewhere in the low to mid $400's.  Also you recently highlighted the Teknetics G2 (Fisher Gold Bug Pro's maternal twin) sale, which was quite a deal, too.  Then there are the current First Texas's sales on their top level detectors (Fisher F75's and Teknetics T2's) which you detailed recently.  Good time to be looking for a high quality VLF detector for at or under $500, and just in time for Northern Hemisphere Spring & Summer.

Yeah the Gamma 6000 has also been available at $499...  $356 is still a smoking deal though.

I always had the Gold Bug Pro and my method was hit ground grab then tap ground balance up two taps positive. The grab seemed a bit neutral to me and I like a hair positive. But for $300 I could sure live without it - I honestly doubt it would make any real difference in the amount of gold I would find.

It used to be $700 was the bang for the buck sweet spot for VLF but that is rapidly shifting to $500. Competition is having an effect.

Funny how people always jump to the conclusion that companies are in trouble. Minelab lowered the price of the GPZ and "oh no, they are in trouble!"

Detector/ prospecting profits/sales are not doing to hot, talked to someone  who was just laid off a week ago, due to lack of sales, at least from this long established prospecting supply company, couldn't speak for others.... maybe others are expanding. I remember the days when the gpaa shows were jam packed with vendors, now they are half of what they use to be.

Dave

Detectors sell world wide. GPAA shows are localized and reflect prospecting detectors. The big numbers in prospecting machines are in Africa and elsewhere. The number one market in the U.S. is coin and relic detecting. Not a lot of prospecting back east.

I am not saying what you are observing is not true Dave, and it sucks for the local guy. But it does not necessarily reflect what is going on at the manufacturer level. The only company that has public sales figures is Minelab and sales are up in the last year.

• Like 1