Is Your Detector User Friendly ?

I don't believe it's necessary to say the name of any detector.

I do find if I swing with the right hand on some detectors all is well. Then others would be best if in the other hand.A lot has to do with what side the controls are on. Like some you find them on the side of the control box. Then others it has to do with the headphones and where they plug in. I dislike a detector that don't come with a stand. It don't go out the door until I make something to keep it off the ground.

I think the best for all is when you find the controls above your hand and can be seen in either.

Tell me if you find yourself standing on the wrong side of your detector. Just maybe yours is user friendly.

Chuck 

• Like 1

My detectors are, have no problem. Your cars and the weird place they put the steering wheel however... I nearly killed more than a few people in Florida a few years back

• Like 7

My XP Deus has to be one of the easiest and lightest to use.  You can detach the small "control box" from the shaft and wear it on either right or left arm/wrist with the optional arm band.  Also has very light weight wireless headphones.  Never a problem laying it on the ground while digging or probling for a target as there is nothing to get dirty.  Only problem, at least for me, was the learning curve for the Deus and now with Version 4 and new coils I'm having to learn again.  Always take my trusty White's MXT as a backup detector.  

I use a 7000. I am expected to adjust my body to make the detector comfortable. Changing settings, on the other hand, is very agreeable and simple enough for my nonadjustable brain. 

• Like 2

Well, yeah, all the time in this backwards right-handed world! One learns to adapt or seek out smart designs.

I've been interested in certain units, read all the specs, then start imagining actual use when I finally realize the unit of interest was designed by a right-handed person - no thanks! If I need to use finger gymnastics, or engage a second hand to access a common function - that's a design fail in my book.

The unit had better have a longstanding god-like reputation among seasoned detectorists or I won't ever bite.

There is no reason a metal detector should not be ambidextrous.

Dig this.

I eat and write with my left hand. To throw a ball has to be with my right hand and bat is the same. To pick up a hammer I'm just as good in either hand and can switch from one hand to the other. Now if I'm going to swing a detector it's the right hand only. I'm really screwed up are down I just know it's one way are another.haha

Chuck 

• Like 2

I'm mostly ambidextrous, kinda like you.

Write best with my left, throw best with my left, shoot from the left

Eat with my right, dig with my right, bat from the right, golf from the right

Then things like painting, hammering, fishing, disc golf and it makes no difference what hand I use. Feels comfortable both ways.

I think it's because lefties are forced out of their comfort zones by a right hand dominated population.

• Like 1

A detector company has make their product to fit the average person. If could go to them and say I want a detector to fit me would be great. The trouble is I couldn't buy the detector because this ran up the cost X what factor I don't know.

Now if I want a shotgun to fit me I know that can be done. It may take 6 months to a year before I get it and with a bill of 20 thousand.

So you see I'll make do with what they offer. I'll have to be user friendly with it.

Chuck

But the average person has two arms, so make detectors that are functional for either. 

I hear you on the custom armorer. There are some assault weapons I can't aim and shoot unless I want a face full of hot brass. And once you have a lefty-specific item like a rifle, it's sometimes very difficult to resell!

We mostly make due or entire lives in my estimation. :smile:

Of all the detectors I have ever used I would have to rate the White's MXT as the most user friendly. Whites wide box design was a favorite of mine for just staying put when placed on the ground, never a roll over. Simple knob controls, clearly marked as to function. I am not impressed by the trend to meaningless icons. Condensed operating instructions on bottom of box. Easy drop in battery pack. Large clear display without too much clutter. Headphone plug in middle of rear under elbow.

The MXT is a bit heavy but Whites could put a smaller circuit board and smaller battery pack in the same box. If the board took half the room and a drop in 4 cell AA pack the height and weight of the box could be reduced yet still retain that stable wide body. Maybe skinny up the pod a bit. Paired with a 950 coil or perhaps even an 8" spider concentric it could knock a solid pound or more off the weight and still retain the best features. That would be an updated MXT worth buying. There will probably be a market for a retro knobs type detector for quite a few years yet.

IMG_0799.JPG

• Like 5