Hunt For Gold With Time!

Yes, you heard it right.  Time may be used in the future to find gold and/or oil.  

Here is a very technical observation of this technique from 2012:

http://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/at-work/test-and-measurement/prospecting-for-oil-or-gold-check-the-time

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Interesting, but I don't think I will hold my breath for that nugget detector. It will come out right before that time machine I want to go back to California in 1820 (the gold rush started in 1848)!

Yes I would go to Maliagul about 2 yrs before they found the "Welcome Stranger" nugget........hmmm.    :smile:.   

Cheers. 

Mike. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mike54 said:

Yes I would go to Maliagul about 2 yrs before they found the "Welcome Stranger" nugget........hmmm.    :smile:.   

Cheers. 

Mike. 

Think big Mike.

HillEnd with a backhoe a couple of months before the Holterman nugget. You could have bought that mine with pocket change and most of the hole was dug

• Like 1

Here another spot

John Mills was an Irishman from Londonderry. He was part of a prospecting party of six who had conducted a fruitless search in early 1894 for gold near Widgiemooltha. Virtually broke, they were prospecting as they made their way back to Coolgardie. Mills sat down under a tree to rest, depressed about his lack of fortune, when he idly pushed a rock aside with the heel of his boot. The underside was covered in gold. As the party explored the site, it was found the stone in the outcrop was hanging together with gold. This incredibly rich tiny deposit yielded 8000 ounces from dollying in a few weeks.

One of the party became ill and returned to Coolgardie. Here he got wildly drunk and with a loose tongue, soon most of the town had heard about the find. The next day virtually the entire town arrived at the site, and leases were pegged in all directions.

The prospecting party sold the lease to speculators, who sealed the hole with a metal plate. A company was formed in London and Paris, raising 750 000 pounds. It was a staggering amount, considering the most promising mines in Western Australia at the time could only raise about 50 000 pounds. In the period after, with the hole still sealed, it developed almost mythical status. Promoted as what would become no less than the biggest gold mine in the world.

Eventually after several months, the company was ready to start mining, and the seal was broken with much pomp and ceremony. After a few days, it was revealed only a thin gold shell remained, and all the rock beyond this was barren. Hundreds of leases nearby were immediately abandoned, after thousands of pounds had been spent developing them. Investors of the Golden Hole lost in some cases their life savings, and went bankrupt. Recriminations flew. It was the first of many scandals on the Western Australian goldfields, because when it comes to greed, people have short memories.

TOO LATE AGAIN......:sad:

Another write up.......

The Londonderry Gold Mine.

— ♦ A recent cable gram from Perth says that some of the specimens from the Londonderry mine, near Coolgardie, are so rich that one has to look closely to see the quartz. A correspondent of the Sydney Morning Herald gives the following particulars regarding this mine : — The most wonderful find of gold ever made in the colony has been discovered nine miles south-west from Coolgardie. The mine ia marvellously rich in coarse, wiry gold, of a bright color, the metal being so thickly scattered through the stone that after the rock is fractured it has to be wrenched apart. The stone is close-grained. Every piece broken shows the faces of the fracture to consist of nearly one-third gold. Rumors of the find have been circulated for some time, but the locality was unknown till the last few days. The workings consist of a trench outcutting across a reef measuring 6ft long by 2ft wide and 3ft deep, and a shaft 40fc deep sunk away from the reef cutting. 4000 oz of gold were dollied in four or five weeks, while the specimens, measuring a foot square, are so heavy that one caunot lift them. One splendid block equal to a 9in cube in size, is so rich that Mr Elliott, one of the parry, paid his mates £2OOO for their share in it. The claim was discovered by a party of six tired and disheartened diggers returning from Lake Lefroy, who in prospecting along the route struck an outcrop showing pieces nearly Wwt each in quartz. The "holdeis of the lease are Messrs Elliott and Farmer, from Avoca, Victoria, and Messrs Mills, Huxley, Gardiner, Carter, and Dawson, who had offers of great sums made to them for the property. One offer was for £ 25,000 cash. The offers have been refused. The gold ia sight is estimated to be worth very much more than the sum mentioned. Later intelligence states that the owners, Messrs Mills, Gardiner, Carter and Dawson, are from New South Wales, and the others, Messrs Elliott and Huxley, from Victoria. They arrived at Coolgardie about the middle of March, and formed themselves into a prospecting party. They journeyed out to Lake Lefroy, where they got neither gold nor water. At the end of April they started away back. On the Bth May they arrived about 12 miles south-west of Coolgardie. There they pitched their camp, and on the following day they made the lucky discovery. He and others visited the mine last week, and he says the expert declared the specimens the most magnificent ever seen in the whole history of mining in Australia. They consist generally of large pieces of quartz. The biggest is known as Big Ben, purchased by Sir. Elliott, who had previous experience as a miner, for £2,000. Only the strongest men in the party, Messrs Begelhole, Pearce and Stockfield could lift it. It is estimated to weigh 300 lb. Mr Elliott, it is said, will make £1,000 on the bargain. Other pieces were smaller, running from the size of a man's head or a little larger, down to the size of half a brick, and contained from half an ounce to a hundred ounces. They had not got many of them, but what they got were  marvelously rich. The amount of gold in the specimens was 4,700 0z per dwt, and then there was Big Ben. If it goes down 100 ft there must be a quarter of a million pounds' worth of gold in it. If it goes down no further than at present, they have   £ 25.000 worth.

• Like 2