Taking Your Detector Overseas, Airlines, Travel

Well I for one, and possibly a few others here in the States, am looking forward towards a new gold season down under.

I know this subject has come up in the forum before, Taking your detector with you overseas, but its not been a stand alone topic and I have been unable to dig it out of the old topics where this issue has been discussed easily.  So I've brought it up this way so maybe it'll be easier for others to find in the future when the concern comes up.  Our detectors and associated gear are rather a pricey point of pride regardless of whether your just coin shooting or going bush.  I am asking all with experience in this arena to pitch a comment so as that future traveler can find a comfortable accommodation on how to carry their gear.

My way is not the best way but it works well and I understand the risks.  Having taken my gear, both prospecting and coin shooter, overseas many times now~ primarily to Australia but also Japan and Europe~ I simply break it down and pack it well in the suit case as check bags.  I carry the control box with me on-board with my carry on and in the case of the Zed I tape off the contacts of the batteries and carry them as well and declare them at the check in, present them for inspection *sometimes they re-tape them*, and go on about my business.  With the advent of lithium batteries its important that you do check with the air carriers you plan to use on any limitations and I suggest strongly that you discharge the batteries to at least 50% prior to travel.  This lessens the chance of any problems with the batteries and its a feel good you can tell the front desk if asked.  Lead acid batteries like the old Humpy for ML's older SD/GP series should just be purchased on the other side as they are cheap enough however I have gotten them thru in check bags as well in the past.  Other power supplies can be treated similarly.

Now having said that there is the type of luggage to look for when traveling.  First off measure the longest and widest parts of your detector or other gear, like a small pick, so you can obtain the right size bag.  Look for one that has a solid back frame, soft frame luggage will not do, or if you have the  cash a hard case.  Bear in mind that you want to keep all bags under 50 lbs or you will run into fees and in some cases not be allowed to take them at all. Hard cases and Otter boxes are heavy. Due to weight  I've had to repack a few times right at the counter just to get things thru even wear extra coats and put socks in my pockets to get thru.  In the case of Australia you will want two cases however one can be smaller.  Also look for something with solidly mounted wheels and collapsible drag handle.  Expect to transfer planes~ those wheels will be important.  I also pack an extra belt into the outer pocket of one so I can strap them together at the soft handles for transport, notch it to fit ahead of time as you wont have your pocket knife with you when the time comes.  The solid frame back is needed to protect from flexure and impacts as the baggage is handled~ and it will be~ and your cloths will be the packing.  Got bags, ok, so lets pack.

A towel, pants or jacket is the first layer about an inch of padding off the rear frame.  Now the coil/coils with clothes between them.  Rods go in towards the middle.  Use socks and shirts around the outter sides of the bag and between gear pieces.  If you are taking a pick tuck it to the side and wrap it with jeans.  *Just stick it down a leg and wrap the top well*.  Your last layer will be mostly cloths about 4 inches thick and when I carry my pan it sits on top.  As I said with Australia I carry two bags.  I split my detector assemblies/gear and coil between them.  Someone get nosy or a bag gets lost its only a partial loss and cheaper to replace than if a whole bag goes for walk about.  Having stuff stolen is the Risk and should never be taken lightly.  I know you wont like I wont.... its a pricey point of pride.  The risk is also why I carry the control box.  In the case of thieves they wont want the bits.... usually.  Lost bags are in the next paragraph.

Last point.  Use those identity tags at the front desk and mark your bags with a distinctive bit of something ( ribbon, bungie, spray paint, ect).  I have never lost a bag but they have wandered.  That tag and bit of distinctive something, in my case its a chunk of black and white bungie knotted very securely to the handle, aid greatly in tracking down your wandering luggage.  On the carousel at the airport all that luggage looks the same as well.  Also TAKE A PICTURE of your bags and keep it on your camera or phone.  Again if you have ever lost a bag when you go to report it they are going to give you a placard with a whole bunch of luggage and ask you what it looks like... if your bags are new then its confusing.  Always expect to stay a day or so at your final destination.  Why?  Because if that bag(s) wander you'll need to stick around for them to catch up.  Airlines have always been good about getting my stuff to me even if I have had to wait a day or so... dont get frustrated~ just keep it in stride, I know your tired and its been a long flight~ if you end up having to track you bags back to you.  Its not the person at the kiosk who needs to be your lightning rod if things go poorly.  Remember they work for a living too.

Now having said all that there apparently are some new restrictions for carry on electronics so I will add this : Check your route and avoid any legs that go thru the middle east or Africa.  Lately I've been flying Quantus out of Dallas to get to Sydney but there are alternate routes that take one thru Dubia and a couple of other spots.  The A380 aircraft is a good ride,  I kinda miss the 747, so plan appropriately as with the new restrictions you may be forced to pack everything in your check bags.  Keep your self informed and pack well.  All will be good ;)

Thanks for reading.  DD

• Like 8

DDancer,

Sometimes i feel i travel for a living, but nor really, it's just a major component of the work i do.  Your advise has not, as you noted, been treated in the forums I read.  But i have to say it is very cogent, particularly for the newbie traveler to certainly Australia.  I travel much of the world, and photo gear is my item to protect, particularly the 'prime component' of a kit....  

All that you address is really great advise, although I might add that I also ad, attached to each bag/luggage piece, an itinerary tag (I use a label making software) that shows the dates, the flight numbers, the departure airport and the destination airports (both ways on a RT, or multi-ports)(I use the airport-codes (like DUI for Dublin, Ireland)(or DRW for Darwin, Australia) - You can look them up under Airline Codes, and your destinations).  Further, I always include on that same label - my home/office address, AND my contact numbers; cell and land-line #'s.  Zip-tie the label to your bag, and a strip of shipping tape(clear) taped over the info helps too.

The point is, I've had luggage go astray, but as you say - usually it is returned to wherever I'm staying.  Taking photos of it by your phone is best, filing out the claims form is essential once you know it/they have not arrived on your flight.

The way you've advised packing prospecting gear is perfect for the un-initiated, and I'm glad you've passed on you experiences and knowledge....  Traveling challenges has become an 'art form', and something that has to be taken very serious if you value what you have, and don't want a trip derailed.

May all your targets be golden!  Dave

• Like 3

Very kind of you dgatelyDP. :)

I do hope other members will chime in.  Typically the tags on the bags have the itinerary coded and displayed for baggage. However it is a good idea to keep things marked.  Big thumbs up! :biggrin:

Packing and labels are significant employ's to getting things to the final destination. There really are not to many other ways to do it short of being an aviation employee and having things shipped com-mat. *company materials*. Just gotta get it done.

Honestly no one else can think of things?  Hehh, It is the basics but if you do not work in aviation well...... get'r done.

I just use an old large samsonite suitcase that does not look like anything valuable is in it, and pack all my gear to check through. I usually pack a backup detector and have it all in a second suitcase, hoping that if one gets lost I still have the other. Lots of years of flying though I have never had a bag truly lost, just delayed a couple times.

I like the idea of taking a photo of bags and bag contents. Really good idea.

• Like 1

Disguise is one way of hiding baggage. *nods to Steve* However most bag theft is related to new bags, markers or just plain physical markers like a lock.  Photo's are always a great idea.

Tell ya what I'm going to open this topic up a bit more. Give me some love here people :)

I got over seas, with my bags, so what do I do to find a place to stay?  Travel about the place~ Europe, Asia, Australia.  Accommodations while you wait to get to a gold field or what ever you are hunting for *me a bucket list item is Great Britannia and the old fields there *... port of call, or just someplace you want to get a detect on ;).  I will tell you mine but you gotta tell me yours.

Travel is a significant thing to myself and those who just "want/dream" to go... and may do so.  Heck just getting to Hawaii or Guam, Porter Rico can be a challenge but when you step outside the territories, I except Canada unless you a gun enthusiast, there are things one simply Must understand.  It is not America anymore and that can be off putting.

Got Ideas or practical advice on travel well spell it out mates PLEASE DO SO! :blink:  No use keeping inside a pup tent in the American deserts when a few of us got out and about a bit.  Me I'll keep quite a bit.  Seems I killed my own thread with to much advice though it has gleaned some better information....

If your baggage goes missing find out when the next plane land from your departure airport. I landed in Chicago in the middle of winter from summer down under with the wife and 2 kids. All of our belongings for a ten week holiday went missing. The airline stalled and final admitted that they had not put on half the plane load of baggage on board, and it was on the next flight.

Thanks, DD!

Your method is how I go to Oz...However, my trip in 2010 they did not ship my luggage...pretty well screwed my trip as my boots and detecting gear were all in the bag.  To make a sad story short it took a week for Quantas to get my bags to Kunnanara (middle of no where)...

I will definitely have some lag time if I go again...

fred

• Like 1

Fred

If hadn't been for bad luck you wouldn't had no luck at all. Long trip but I hope it got better before it was over with.

Chuck

Fred,

Delays of that nature are not real common in today's aviation industry.  However I did put the caveat of planing to stay in ones destination till wandering bags appear. Yeah it puts a dampener on plans and if there is a tight schedule its all the more important to make those buffers between destinations and final end points.  Cheaper to discard a reservation than to show up at the counter without one.  Between you and me this year is not a scheduled holiday should things work out ;)  I dont do tours however my initial adventure to WA was an eye opener of sorts.... rebuilt a vehicle, hooked up with a guide *of sorts* and traveled from Victoria to WA... Kevin Hiller was on that trip so was Scotty but most dont understand that gotta understand Jackhammers army..... The previous trip 1999 was pretty much a play by ear but I did not suffer much more than an accelerated education.

On that point... what do you do?... see previous post.  Well no one's chimed in so here is a good hint... back packers.... seems we are the only country that does not cater to the industry.

• 2 weeks later...

I am curious if anyone has recently flown to Oz from the USA...I am wondering if they were able to take the control arm of the ZED on board??? The thing is way different than any other control box I have travelled with...

However, I always carry the owner's manual with me. I also put copies of pictures of pertinent parts in a baggy on top of the packing so the inspectors can plainly see what the coil or other parts are.  I also insert some information regarding where/what I am doing to answer any insipient questions/problems.

DD; you mentioned backpackers, is that a way to lodge without high cost? What about security of one's goods?

fred