Where To Look For Copper Nuggets In Alaska?

17 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I have found a number of copper nuggets in Alaska while detecting for gold. They are very common in some areas. I have intended to go detecting specifically for copper nuggets but somehow the quest for gold always takes precedence.

Can you recommend any places that would be good in Alaska. I think copper is  much prettier than any other metal, having a few nuggets to put in the display would be neat!

Years ago I found a small copper nugget about the size of a 22 bullet at Matanuska glacier, sure liked that little nugget. Ended up putting it in a small vial of gold,

Sometime later I sold a spiral panner to a lady with a handicapped son. He really liked prospecting and she thought it was really helping him with his disability. She told me they were not having good luck finding gold and didn't know the difference between gold and fools gold. Well I marched rite into the house grabbed a vile of gold and gave it to her!

She really appreciated that and I felt good about myself until I realized that 1/4 oz of gold also had that little copper nugget in it. Still irritated about that!

• Like 1

Heiner, L.E., Wolff, E.N., and Grybeck, D.G., 1971, Copper mineral occurrences in the Wrangell Mountains-Prince William Sound area, Alaska: University of Alaska Mineral Industry Research Laboratory Report No. 27, 179 p., 15 sheets

There are prospect and mine reports starting page 36. Look for the words "native copper" and "copper nuggets".

Also 

UNITED STATES GEOLOGICAL SURVEY Bulletin 947-F COPPER DEPOSITS OF THE NIZINA DISTRICT, ALASKA BY DON J. MILLER

page 119.... "Nuggets of native copper derived from the greenstone are found in the placer gravel on Dan Creek and some of its tributaries. A copper nugget estimated to weigh about 3 tons was found in Dan Creek in 1939."

Copper nuggets have been found in Lynx Creek on the Kenai Peninsula south of Anchorage https://www.mindat.org/loc-198688.html

IMG_0279.PNG

Here is a copper stained nodule I found metal detecting in the Wrangell Mountains of Alaska back in 2000. There was no sign of native copper on the exterior, but it gave a strong signal and had some weight. I later sawed it open and it was nearly solid copper inside. You can see the thin line in the photo on left where the cut is. Click for larger version.

copper-nodule-alaska-herschbach-metal-detecting.jpg

• Like 5

I know someone that lives within a short walk of a lower part of lynx creek. During a story telling session over a few beers he did say that he has found copper nuggets there. I don't remember how much but I do remember him saying they were about pencil eraser sized. He is off to Mexico now or I could get better detection for you. When I hear from him I will put it up here.

Gitafterit

John

• Like 1

I have found copper in the Sheep Mountain area and of coarse the Wrangell's. Can't find the photo I wanted

but here is a piece from the Wrangell's. Also have dredged a few small pieces from Alfred Creek.  Also photo of copper in matrix

from Sheep Mt.

IMG_17411.jpg

IMG_17402.jpg

• Like 6

That copper in matrix piece is awesome, never seen anything like that before, just the nuggets.

On 4/4/2017 at 4:15 PM, Bob(AK) said:

IMG_17491.jpg

Copper ore from the Wrangell's.

Covellite (blue) chalcocite(gray) and calcite. Very high % copper

What's the White ? any Idea?quartz? All great posts and pix! thanks! Ig