I found a brand new medium sized older Walco and love it. My next favorite is one I hand forged out of spring steel super great picks. Here's a pic of a pick. This is the one I made by hand it's a six pounder but I swing one handed with it all day and it's not to much of a chore to use. It's narrow enough and heavy enough the way I made it that I don't have to swing but a few times to get depth. 

IMG_20161015_103802001.jpg

• Like 3

When replacing a handle on the pick or hammer watch the grain of the wood. At Tha hand end the grain should go from the head of the hammer to the claw end. Same on a pick it should go from the point to the spade. I have used this for my wedge axes that I fall timber with. It works. I've had the same handles near eight years. That should help a few folks out with fixings. 

• Like 5

On 4/1/2017 at 5:33 PM, goldrat said:

vanursepaul , 

Just google supersede pick and several detector shops in Australia have them for sale . With replaceable parts available and pop riveted , how strong are they .

Cheers

goldrat

I they aren't pop riveted the bolts are held on with Nyloc s

Strong enough for me:biggrin:

• Like 1

My favorite "pick" is a modified potato rake used with a traditional pick. It works really good for the initial scrape after a signal. Easy to pull the rocks out of the way. Then when I get to hard pack I use the pick then rake out. I'm sure most people are comfortable using just a pick, but it works for me.20170402_190645.thumb.jpg.5c0eacc39380a40f19a8fa8a97a1ef38.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
On 4/1/2017 at 9:28 AM, vanursepaul said:

Super- sede that was made in OZ.

Long handle... Very sharp replaceable  heads with great digging winged rear blade.

Made with some kind of annealed metal that seemed much lighter that a steel plate one I tried to make.

Unfortunately, they are no longer being produced commercially. I just have this to say it was definitely the best pick I have ever used.... and of course JP is the one who let me use my first one.:tongue:

My mistake was not bringing it back with me when I had the chance!

On another note,

I hope to meet up with the gentleman that made then when I go to OZ in June....To learn how he made them. He seems like a very nice guy and I'm looking forward to meeting him.

Got lots to do while in OZ this year...counting down the days Rege.

60 days, 12 hrs, 35 minutes, 48 seconds

:biggrin:

Hi Paul, If you learn how to make a supersede, you have your first customer.

have a great time in any case…

• Like 1