Best GPS Unit Or App

Fairly new to detecting and starting to explore more. Was thinking about buying a small GPS unit to upload coordinates and topographic maps, does anyone have a preferred unit or an app on their phone that does a good job keeping them inbounds?

For just buying a GPS unit it is hard to go wrong with Garmin. However, if you ever think you might work much in tandem with somebody else, take a hard look at the Garmin Rino combination GPS and radio. It it fairly standard as a tracking GPS device. What makes it special is at any time you can hit a button and it will tell you exactly what direction and how far away your partner is. And you can of course talk to them. Very handy also for rough survey work, like claim staking and such. You can lay out distances just by having your partner walk off and by checking now and then know when they are 1000 or 2000 feet away. Mine are really old but still working fine.

For creating tracks on my iPhone I have used MotionX GPS and been happy enough with it for that purpose. I also have Gaia GPS (Apple and Android) but have not really played with it yet. These days I use the GPS built into my GPZ 7000 for 95% of my GPS tracking.

Lots of people speak highly of OziExplorer for PC and Android devices.

garmin-rino-650-gps-communicator.jpg

• Like 2

Like Steve and Paul above, I use a garmin Rhino 650, gps with radio, and allows me to send my location, and see my hunting partners location.  I love the new technology like beartooth.com if you havent seen that...

Dave

Looks like some great options! I'd like to have something where I can preload the coordinates and maybe even map it out on a computer and just upload it. 

That beartooth device sounds really cool! Might have to get a pre-order in on that while they're cheap. I think I'll start searching for one of those Garmins now