White's Sierra Pulse Pro And Coils

I recently added a PI unit to my weapons hoping to get further depth on caches of buried cans and bottles at 3 feet and deeper. I am mostly using the detector only to find the deeply buried pits of ferrous cans/ "trash". I know there is a learning curve to all new equipment but am throwing out some questions here for those who have used the White's SPP. 

First thing I notice is the detector is very sensitive especially to shallow scatter like concentrations of scattered nails and wire, especially wire in coils or even hangers bent in round loops sound like a much better target. I have read that adding a much larger coil like an SEF style in 20x17 format will eliminate some of the "noise" of semi surface items as well as add a bit of depth. My question is having the SPP without the Pulse Delay setting am I going to have a problem running these coils? I had read elsewhere that guys turn up the Delay setting when using the larger coil and the SPP does not have this ability.

My first time out experimenting on finding a large deep target of cans I knew existed I ran the coil that came with the unit and in range on controls suggested in thres and gain. I picked up a number of small sharp high tone signals and dug them just for experience. I came up with bottle caps, loose change, a 2 dollar Mexican coin and a nice men's gold band. But these are not the type of targets I seek and would rather hear the deeper low tones that suggest concentrations of deeper buried metallic objects (trash). I was able to easily find the pit of old cans that were about 3 1/2 feet down but noticed it was very hard to pinpoint the signal and it seemed to overload or max out the detector signal. When switching to OFF on GB and running in an non motion mode I did well but experienced the same overload type effect on deep concentration target. When I turned the GAIN down some it helped with average targets of say 6 pack of cans at 2 foot, but I lost the ability to pick up the deep target.

I know I am looking to use machine in ways most are trying to avoid in digging "trash" but just looking for any suggestions on coils and settings that may help with my learning curve.

THANKS!

8 minutes ago, FeO2digger said:

My question is having the SPP without the Pulse Delay setting am I going to have a problem running these coils? I had read elsewhere that guys turn up the Delay setting when using the larger coil and the SPP does not have this ability.

It is quite possible. The problem is that there is no real way to know. The best solution is to stick with coils made specifically for the TDI series which includes the Sierra Pulse Pro (SPP). Variations do exist between different TDI builds and coils vary to some degree, so you just do not know what will happen if you put a Minelab compatible but non-TDI approved coil on the SPP.

For those dropping into this late, it is possible to run Minelab PI compatible coils on the Whites TDI series. However, some of the coils would overload or exhibit weird performance unless the pulse delay control was advanced to higher delay settings. The SPP is factory locked at the minimum 10 uS pulse delay setting and so adjusting that control higher is not possible.