GPZ 19" Coil Falsing

Has anybody had problems with their GPZ 19" coil falsing when hitting rocks or brush?  I sent one back to minelab that was falsing every time I hit it on a rock. Then I get a new one from minelab which they warranted out which I do appreciate minelabs warranty. So I go to try the new one out and that one does it again. What's up with that minelab doesn't anybody test the coils before they send them out? 

I suspect the falsing you speak of is norm for the 19, probably because of its open design. The polycarbonate skid plate mod cuts this falsing quite a bit, because it stops the coil flexing to a certain extent, if you do a search on this 4M you`ll find the directions to making and fixing one of these. Be assured once you adapt to use the 19 it`ll get the weight if it`s there.

Norvic you may have hit the nail on the head there.  I was thinking that Road Dog was damn unlucky until you posted and said yours used to false as well.  I fitted the lexan skid plate on day 3 or 4 and I don`t recall my coil has ever falsed.  Road Dog I am not saying the poly carbonate sheet will fix it but Norvic could be onto something.   cheers Dave

Phoenix, There seems to be two thoughts on this, the polycarbonate stops the flexing or the carbon in the polycarbonate stabilises things. Buggered if I know although I just suspect it cuts a lot of flexing on the ground plane, speculation on just why is just that, I just know it works.

6 minutes ago, Norvic said:

the polycarbonate stops the flexing

Yeh mate I agree with that.  I have a NF 20" spoked and I thought it was a very flimsy coil until I put the polycarbonate sheet on it. cheers

I've noticed even the GPZ 14 coil will false when running the sensitivity high, especially in the high yield /difficult combo. Dialing down the sensitivity will fix the issue. 

• Like 3

Yeah, dialing down the sensitivity does help resolve the falsing in the 19 also but not completely, the polycarb skid plate as a bonus allows you to keep the sensitivity higher, plus it is a bloody tough skid plate. I have found the volume is more critical then sensitivity, once I get above approx. 8 this introduces even more falsing plus internal noises. Well to my hearing and thus I feel as a rough guideline I keep volume below 8 and adjust sensitivity to suit my hearing & comfort.

Thanks guys I'm just trying to figure it out myself. I have had all kinds of coils for my  GPX 4000 and 4500. I had one coil that was falsing the same way. The windings in the coil were bumping the inside  every time you would hit something. I returned it  and the new one was fine and did not false. For as much as you pay for a coil from minelab there should be no issues with this. Norvic I don't think I can get a skid plate in the US yet.  Do you know if I can get one here in the US?  Or are you saying that I have to make one? 

Thanks lunk,

I know that your reserved on your Settings but I am balls to the wall. I always have been since I got the GPX 7000 so turning my sensitivity down doesn't do me any good.  I have not had any issues with my 14 inch coil  though.  I just figured it was a winding problem. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Road Dog said:

I don't think I can get a skid plate in the US yet.

I got tired of waiting for a skid plate to become available here in the states, so I just cut one out of a cheapo Walmrt storage container and slapped it onto the coil. It's a little softer plastic than polycarbonate, but is thick enough to last forever. 

• Like 5